Lighting up Hadrian's Wall

The people, conflicts, and daily life of the Roman army.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Lighting up Hadrian's Wall

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 am

Salvete, amici Romani,

Today the UK commemorated its Roman heritage by lighting torches along the entire length of Hadrian's Wall. Flash video here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8565759.stm

People came from all over the world to either see it or take part. It had to be coordinated with the landowners along the route. The result...I like to think that's what it looked like in its glory days, every tower with a signal-fire.

I'm getting a lot of that "home fires burning" theme in my life right now. Oklahoma's waking up from one of its more brutal winters; other states, the ones that are *used* to brutal winters, got even more than they bargained for this year. Daylight Savings time began here today. There's a picture of an annular solar eclipse on my wall-calendar for March. I've spoken to family and friends about wanting to settle abroad, in a poor country that really needs whatever I can give them. Even in my role-playing games, my characters are either setting out on journeys or returning home from them. And in every case, someone has seen, said or written something along the lines of "We'll leave the light on for you."

Sure, that's a motel commercial. But it's also a comforting thing to know. Today on Hadrian's Wall, I'm not sure who had the light on for who; but I'm pretty sure our adopted ancestors smiled.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Militarium