Roman emoticons

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman emoticons

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:43 pm

Salvete,

I often see Marius noster using ascii Romans in his postings, but I wonder if there are any smileys or emoticons out there with Roman themes that I might upload to this forum?

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:32 pm

*cough*

:wine:
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Romanus Ridens

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:33 am

Heia...

If you find any besides my Roman Smiley, do let me know where they are!

However, I think I may have cornered the market. My Smiley is officially registered with the Internet Smilie Dictionary, has been for several years. I have many variations on him, from different moods (you've seen most of them) to detachments of Legions marching under their Eagle-standard. I have also devised a Flaming Supersonic Pilum, as well as various Roman-themed dividing-lines and motifs--all in ASCII. Ericius even helped me build a civilian in a toga!

Then there are the ASCII figures in my .sig blocks, the Wolf and the Eagle familiar to any of you who have received e-mail from me. I have a neat Griffin (from Roman myth). Any or all of these I can put together in a text-file and submit to the Societas for Members' enjoyment and dissemination! (I'd post 'em here, but the Board's proportional spacing makes 'em look weird...see the Latin Computer Lab Menu I dropped on CollLat a while back.)

As may be surmised, ASCII Art and I go back a long way. My first real hack, back on Williams Air Force Base in 1987, was to make a picture of Combat Poodle Pepper kick out on someone else's printer on the other side of the base. (I still have the printout, yes.) My Roman ASCII dates from rather more recently, about '95 (first year I had e-mail).

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

>({|8-)

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 am

I don't believe it--I've found Roman smilies in other fora!!

Image by Daniel Sanchez. Very popular on Warhammer Ancients fora.
Image by "Guildenstern"
Image by Jason Bishop
Image by Matt "Chichigrande"

Image The really big, really happy version!

If you like these, I can contact their developers for permission to use them here. >({|:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum