Party (and symposium) at the Consul's house!

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Svantevit

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:12 pm

Salve Draco,

I agree with you that Svantevit indeed sounds Scandinavian but it is truly a Slavic word. The stem "svet, swant or svent" means holy, mighty, powerful. "-vit" is derived from "vitez" meaning lord, victor.

In Norwegian "svane" means swan (Schwan in German). And I know of the Scandinavian name Svanhild.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:21 pm

Speaking of Slavic words and holidays and such, in a couple of weeks I'm off to Krakow to pursue a burgeoning interest in the Polish language. Given that I still know almost nothing of Polish, it should be an interesting trip...
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 pm

This summer...

I just visited Bretagne (France) for a week, friday I'm going on holiday with handicapped people until the 15th, 24th-29th of july I'm going on holiday with handicapped children... and in August I will be looking for a job I suppose.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:10 pm

Salve Curio,

Curio Agelastus wrote:Speaking of Slavic words and holidays and such, in a couple of weeks I'm off to Krakow to pursue a burgeoning interest in the Polish language. Given that I still know almost nothing of Polish, it should be an interesting trip...

I tried to learn Polish a couple of years ago at an evening class but it's kinda hard to learn esp. when you don't have that much time and energy to do so after work. The reason I wanted to learn it was because my grandfather was from Poland (from Kraków to be precise) and it was for me kinda way of getting to know this one side of my origins. And I still wanna go to Kraków one day as I've heard it's a very nice city. So you gotta tell me about your trip to that place.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:13 pm

Salve Locate,

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:... and in August I will be looking for a job I suppose.

...und wie wäre es, wenn Du im August ein paar Tage in Trier bei "Brot und Spiele" entspannst bevor Du Dich auf die Jobsuche machst??? ;-) (-> Thread in der Provincia Belgica "SVR Treffen in Trier")
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Huh?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:59 am

...What was that about?

Perplexed,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Vale!

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:32 am

Ti. Coruncanius wrote:This party is over. Show yourselves out.

:?:

I thought we agreed to begin this symposium after the exam period, which is about, uhm, now :roll: ? Perhaps proposing a new schedule and starting date would be more advisable than refusing to start at all because we've had some (justifiable) delays...

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Previous

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum