Handbook on the Religio Romana

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Handbook on the Religio Romana

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:15 pm

Salvete comreligiones

Recently available is an English translation of John Scheid's An introduction to Roman Religion trans Janet Llyod, Indiana University Press, 2003, ISBN 0-253-34377-1. As an introduction, as a teaching tool, thus far what I have read, it is an excellent book to use. The charts are clear and useful, and they also leave room in which to add notes. The chronology at the back I think would prove very useful in a classroom situation.

A draw back is that while internal footnotes are used for the quotations he uses, other comments by Mr. Scheid are not footnoted. For an introductory level handbook that will do, but really for many of the views he expresses they need to be further elaborated upon, and footnoted. That is why I think this would make a good text to use in a classroom situation where the teacher can provide the additional information. Also needed is more source material. Combining Scheid's work with Mary Beard et al Religions of Rome and some other source material would be needed to fill out material for a class.

There are a few things I have run across that I feel should be better explained. A couple things with which I disagree (his definition of religiosum for one). There again, the book would best be used with a teacher filling out more detail. I do reccomemd this book.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:37 pm

Do you know where I could order the book from? I tried Amazon.co.uk but I did not find it.
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:54 am

Salve Mars Ultor

I received my copy from Amazon.com in US. First though I went to buy it through
http://www.religioromana.net This is the site of the Temple of the Religio Romana, the first (and AFAIK the only) legally organized community of practitioners of the Religio Romana. Buying the book through the Temple helps support them.

You being in Malta, I'd imagine you use the Amazon UK? The English editions of this book were published by the Edinburgh University Press, Ltd, and the Indiana University Press. The French version is La religion des Romans published by Armand Colin/Masson, Paris, 1998. I would think the book would be available through any Amazon.com by now.

Vale optime[/i]
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:45 am

I found the book at Amazon.co.uk. I was mistakingly writing Scheid as Schneid therefore the book was not found. :oops:
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum