On Motzu versus confucianism

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

On Motzu versus confucianism

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:36 pm

Salvete omnes

This is a little topic, which is related to my previous posting on ancestral worship in China and Rome at ColRel....

I retook my exam of Classical Chinese today, and had to translate one of Motzu's texts and give some in depht comments about his behaviour towards confucianism.

For Motzu, there are 4 reasons to criticise the confucianist. (From now on I will use C and M)

- The C ancestral worship and three years of mourning is causing the people harm, because they are not allowed to cultivate their land.

- Music and litterature are useless, therefor should be banned

- According to M, the C shool does not believe in ghosts and thus has angered them, causing harm to the people.

- The C believes in a predestined fate, and thus becomes lazy
NOTE : In the last chapter of his work, Motzu corrected this. He admits that C only relies on fate when he has exerted all his possible means.

Now, from reasons one and three, one might say that there is a contradiction: C do not believe in ghosts and yet perform ancestor worship, whilst M does not but does believe in ghosts and gods.

There is no real contradiction. The confucianist does not see ancestor worship as a religious act, but as an expression of filial love and piety.

Motzu does believe in ghosts, because he wanted to create a religious framework in which he could easily devellop his theory of 'All-embracing Love'...

Here we can see that both C and M share their views on righteousness and the importance of good relations within the family and with the ruler, but that they have different accents.

Vale bene, amici
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum