Honors and titles

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Honors and titles

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:43 pm

Salvete Sodales omnes

On occasion members of the Collegium Religionis have asked about our starting priesthoods in SVR. As rector of this collegium, and as consul of SVR I have stated that we are not really an organization prepared to do so. As such, this collegium has since dropped the official titles of pontifices. The question then turned to the Collegium Religionis recognizing contributing sodales with honorary titles that they would be permitted to use in SVR. This applies only to members of SVR. As consul I am in a position to place this matter before the Senate for consideration. However it is a matter for the collegium itself to first decide.

The first matter to decide is what titles to use. Sacerdotus is a general term for priests, both male and female, that can be used for practitioners of different faiths. A flamen is a little more specialized, being one devoted to the worship of a particular deity usually. Flamines, besides the priests of the cultus civile of that name, were a general term for priests of religious sodales, or the local priests of Roman colonae. While the cultus civile had their own official public augures, there were others recognized as augures as well. Attus Naevius was so recognized before becoming an official augur. So we do have a few titles to choose from, and can use titles from other traditions (I would not know the Greek titles). Then the collegium would have to decide on what qualifications would have to be met to be nominated for any honorary title. And the collegium would then have to vote on a candidate once nominated. First though, the collegium as a whole must decide if it wishes to take this step.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:09 pm

Salve Piscine
I happen to know something of the Hellenic clergy. A priest like we understand it, is called heireus i believe, but that would require official reqgnition by a goverment. A Neokoros or Neokoroi (plural) are like the Sacerdotus. They had the same dutis and functions of a Sacerdos. They maintained the temple and watched over rituals and worship of the chosen deity.
vale optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum