2 questions of Varro's Dei Praecipui

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

2 questions of Varro's Dei Praecipui

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:14 am

SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.
Excuse my ignorance here...
Do Varro's Dei Praecipui predate the Di Consentes?
Do the Dei Praecipui represent a move toward monotheism? Or hellenization? Or something else?
VALETE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Re: 2 questions of Varro's Dei Praecipui

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:39 am

Salve Luci Garrule

Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus wrote:Do Varro's Dei Praecipui predate the Di Consentes?

Is that a philosophical question? The Gods being Gods immortal came into being with this universe. So your question, I would think, is irrelevent. Between the categories assigned by men as a way of understanding, the Di Consentes were celebrated first in the third century, I believe, while Varro's comments are later. Varro has a number of opinions on the Gods that, while interesting, would be philosophical in nature and not what could be consider prevelent opinions among Romans.

Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus wrote:Do the Dei Praecipui represent a move toward monotheism? Or hellenization? Or something else?

The Dei praecipui are twenty gods that were especially worshipped at Rome, and were also assimulated with Greek deities. I do not see how you could see them as monotheistic. As for Helenization, I do not think that was the case either. The Romans saw parallels between their gods and those of other peoples, but also noted differences. The Roman gods do not exactly match with the Greek gods of Olympus. The idea that they were 'assimulated' only means that they were recognized as superficially being 'like' Roman gods, not the same, in all cases. Jupiter and Zeus and Ceres with Demeter are very close parallels, and I would be inclined to say They are the same deities. But Minerva is unlike Athena, Roman Venus is no Aphrodite and She is unlike the Hellenized Venus of poets, and while Roman poets drew an identification between Hera and Juno, I think they too are different in character and nature. The Dei praecipui was a category made by Varro to explain certain things about Roman practices. In that, I think it is rather artificial.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:05 pm

MVLTAS GRATIAS, PISCINE!

I was under the mistaken impression that the Dei Praecipui indicated some sort of abandoning of other Roman Gods.

Many thanks,
VALE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum