Prayers of Silius Italicus

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Prayers of Silius Italicus

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:44 am

Tiberius Catius Asconius Silius Italicus (26-101 CE)

Punica

Liber I

1.3-4: (Silius) Grant me, O Muse, that I may record those glorious deeds of ancient Italy.

1.505-7: (Murrus of Saguntum) Hercules, Founder of our city (Saguntum), you who are called Alcidus, in whose footsteps we now reside on this hallowed earth, avert the threatening storms from our land.

1.639-42: (Saguntum delegate before the Roman Senate) Far away from these walls of Rome, I pray O celestial gods, keep off that deadly right arm of the stripling (Hannibal) and confine him in war against us (at Saguntum).

Liber II

2.372-4: (Carthaginian Senate)You Gods of Carthage, if never we merited to be thus punished, then prevent this sacrilege, and preserve the might of our general unfettered.

2.484-7: (Hercules addresses Fides) Goddess more ancient than Jupiter, virtuous glory of gods and men, without whom there is no peace on earth, nor on the seas, sister of Justice, Fides, silent divinity within the hearts of men and women.

2.531-42: (Juno addresses Tisiphone) Daughter of the nurturing Night, with your right hand lay low these wall, and in their pride fell these people by their own hands. Juno bids it. She brings Herself on nearby clouds and will watch your zealous execution of all She asks. Use the bolts that confound the gods and even Highest Jupiter, and that make Dis Pater in the lowest depths tremble, with flame and monstrous serpents and your hideous hissing that shuts the mouths of Cerberus with fear; and, with frothing bile and venom and whatever other vicious compound you make, and everything abundantly painful and wrathful to you boil up in their hearts, to swiftly heap up the Rutilians thread and send all of Saguntum to Erebus. May this be the cost for Fides' gentle descent upon them.

Liber III

3.115-6: (Imilce prays on behalf of her husband, Hannibal, on his departure) I pray the Gods bless you. Go and prosper; go with the favor of the Gods and my prayers.

3.126-7: (Imalce) But You, O (Mars) Father of Warfare, have pity on us, turn evil aside from us and preserve (my husband's) life as inviolable to all Trojans' assaults.

3.222-27: (Silius) Hand down to fame, O Calliope, the peoples called forth by this frightening enterprise and born against Rome, the realm of Latinus.

3.565-7: (Venus addresses Jupiter in Rome's behalf) Give us an abode, Father, where at last the ashes and sacred relics of fallen Troy may rest, and where the rites of the royal Lares and the mysteries of Vesta may be safely kept.

Liber IV

4.126-7: (The augur Liger) I recognize You, Mightiest of the Gods; Be present now, Father, and confirm the omen of Your eagle.

4.669-70: Scipio raised his hands to Heaven and called out: "Gods of our country, by whose favor Dardana Rome is preserved."

Liber V

5.75-6: (Silius on Flamminus) Alas, in vain the fruitless warnings and portents seek to hinder destiny. Alas, for the Gods cannot contend against the Fates.

Liber VI

6.102-7: (Serranus) If You have not yet condemned the realm of Quirinus, O Father, if You do not yet despise the Tarpeian Heights, then look down on the desperate plight of Italy and the Ausonian ruins, turn at last to the troubles faced by the Ilians with a merciful eye.

6.113: (Serranus) I swear by the Manes, spirits of my ancestors, whom I fitly worship.

6.466-72: Then (Regulus) lifted hand and eye together to the heavens, "O Giver of Justice and Rectitude, You who steers the course of the lingering stars of destiny, and Fides, no less divine to me, and Juno of Tyre, You Gods I invoked to witness my oath that I would return. If now I am permitted to speak words that will befit me, and by my voice protect the hearths of Rome, willingly I will go to Carthage, keeping my promise to return and endure whatever punishment is prescribed."

Liber VII

7.78-85: (Matrons of Rome) Be present O Queen of the Heavenly Gods, we Your chaste daughters pray and bring forth this venerable gift, we, all the Roman women of noble name, have woven this mantle with our own hands, embroidered it for You with threads of gold. This veil You shall wear for now, O Juno, until we mothers grow less fearful for our sons. But if You will grant that we may repel these African storm clouds from our land, we shall set upon You a flashing crown of diverse gems set in gold.

7. 217-8: (Silius) Give fame, give, O Muse, to the man who was permitted to overcome two camps and tame both of their furor. (Silius referring to Fabius, the two camps being that of Rome and Carthage.)

Liber VIII

8.140-2: (Dido) Gods of the endless night, whose powers grow stronger with the approach of death, I pray, come to me, and gently admit a life spent in ardor among the Manes.

8.227-8: (Hannibal) Nymph Anna, our people?s grace, as holy to me as any divine numen, favor that which You bring forth with success.

Liber IX

9.168-72: (Solimus, son of Satricus) Then he raised his sad eyes to the heavens and said, "By this foul hand, Luna, have You witnessed this dreadful deed, O Queen of the starry heavens, Daughter of the Titans, as Your light directed my javelin in the darkness of night to my father's body, no longer will these eyes of an accursed face profane your vision." (Satricus, escaping capture from Hannibal?s camp, so that he can warn the Romans, is mistaken for a Carthaginian and slain by his son Solimus, who then commits suicide.)

Liber X

10. 432-8: (Scipio) O Father Jupiter who inhabits the Tarpeian Heights as His chosen abode next to the heavens, and You Juno, Daughter of Saturnus, who has not yet changed from Her hatred of the Trojans, and You, divine Virgin, whose gentle breast is harshly girt with the aegis of the terrible Gorgon, and all You Gods and Indigites of Italy, hear me as I swear by Your divine powers, and by the head of my father, who I hold no less to be a divine power, on my oath I swear.

10.553-4: (Hannibal) Father Mars, You who were not at all deaf to my vows, these men, survivors of the battle, dedicate to You the choicest armour of our victory trophies.

Liber XII

12.390-2: (Silius)But grant me this, Calliope, in reward for our labor, that I may impart to later generations the great deeds of a noble man in his own time of life, and thereby merit a poet's honor.

12.643-5: (The Roman soldiers laid down their weapons, and holding up their hands to the Capitolium prayed to Jupiter for Hannibal's death.) Grant, Mightiest of the Gods, that by Your hand, Father, the Libyan shall fall in battle to a thunderbolt, since by no other hand than Yours is there power to slay him.

Liber XIII

13.137: (Fulvius beseiging Capua) Come favorably, Diana, daughter of Latona, onto our undertaking.

Liber XIV

14.1-2: (Silius) Turn now your songs, Muses on Mount Helicon, to the cities along the Sicilian coastline lapped by the Ortygian Sea

14.440-1: (Sabratha to Jupiter Ammon) Bring forth, Father, bring your aid, Prophet of Garamantes, and grant a certain flight for my missile that it may impale an Italian

Liber XV

15.159-62: (Scipio) Neptune, divine Lord of the Trident, on whose high seas we begin to cross, if my preparations are made justly, grant our fleet to sail safely, Father, and do not scorn to aid our labors. The war I now draw across the sea is a just war.

15.362-3: (Scipio) Grant, O Most Highest of the Gods, that I may preside over offering to You the choicest spoils, taken from the Libyan general (Hannibal), and borne on these my son's shoulders.

15.443-4: (Scipio, upon killing Sabura) Sacred Manes, your first sacrificial victim is cast to the ground.

15.510-12: (Hasdrubal) I pray that this glory of arms may be so greatly crowned, and that no god shall begrudge us our success, that we may advance even onto the starry heavens.

Liber XVI

16.83-5: Looking to the heavens (Scipio said), "No more do I ask of You today, heavenly Gods. You have brought forth the fugitives to arms, that is enough."

16.125-6: (Mother of Manissa) Thus may it be so, by the Gods in Heaven, may You favorably preserve Your portent. May the light shine on his head for centuries to come.

Liber XVII

17.27-9 (P. Scipio Nasica welcomes the Magna Mater at Her arrival to Rome 'after Her long voyage with his hands held up in prayer.' But when the ship became stuck in the Tiber a priest called out: Spare your guilty palms from touching these ropes. Away from here, I warn you, go far away from hence, whosoever among you is unchaste, do not share in this sacred task.

17.35-40: (Then Claudia took up the ropes alone:) O Great Mother of the Heavenly Host, Genetrix of all the divine powers, whose children cast lots to see who should rule over land, and seas, and the stars, and the nether world of the Manes, if without violation my body is free of all unchaste crimes, may You be my witness, dear Goddess, and testify on my behalf of my innocence by the ease with which I now draw this vessel.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum