Prayers in Inscriptions

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Prayers in Inscriptions

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:36 am

Dedication Inscriptions

CIL I 1290 Private Dedication

Lucius Aufidius, son of Decius, deservedly devotes this gift to you, Hercules, to pay an annual tithe (for the upkeep of your shrine). At the same time he asks of you, you who are a holy god, help him and give him your peace.

CIL III 3989 Funerary Dedication

Therefore I pray to you Gods of the Underworld, into whose arms I am compelled headlong by the Gods above, that you admit me into your realm with the least amount of torment.

CIL VI 18817 Funerary Dedication

Whole-heartedly I pray to you, most holy Manes, may you admit my dear husband among you, and, may you want to be most indulging in this, that in the hours of the night I may see him and also be advised by him on what to do, in order that I may be able to swiftly and sweetly come stand by his side.

CIL III 1933 = ILS 4907 Public Dedication, Salona, Dalmatia

Jupiter Optimus Maximus when today I will give and dedicate this altar to you, according to the laws, and within this region, whose laws and boundaries I will give and dedicate this very day, for as long as this palus stone shall remain beneath this altar. If anyone should sacrifice a victim and not have first thoroughly stretched out and examined the entrails, all the same may it be regarded as properly offered. Let the law of this altar be the same as those proclaimed for the altar of Diana on the Aventine Hill, what is said in those laws shall apply in this region as well. Thus for the reasons I have spoken, I give, I order, and I dedicate this altar to you, Jupiter Optimus Maximus, in order that you may be willing to be favorable and propitious to me, to my colleagues, to the colony's council of ten magistrates, to the people of the colony Martia Julia Salonia and to our wives and children.

CIL XII 4333 Public Dedication, Narbonensis

Numen of Caesar Augustus, Father of our country, when today I give, I dedicate this altar to you, this shall be the rule for this region that I will give and dedicate, for as long as this palus stone shall remain beneath this altar. If anyone should sacrifice a victim upon this altar and set up an inscribed stone, if he wishes to scrub clean, decorate, or repair, may it be a blessing to him, may it be held lawful and right. Or if he should sacrifice any victim, and not have first thoroughly stretched out and examined the entrails, all the same may it be regarded as properly offered. May whatever he may wish to give and enrich this altar be allowed, and at the same time may the rule for the gift be what is normal to this altar. Let the law of this altar be the same as those proclaimed for the altar of Diana on the Aventine Hill, what is said in those laws shall apply in this region as well. This altar is given to you, with these rules for this region, as it was spoken, on behalf of the Emperor Caesar Augustus, Father of his country, pontifex maximus, having the tribunicial powers for thirty five years, for his wife and children and family members, for the Senate and the people of Rome, for the settlers and inhabitants of colony Juilia Paterna Narbo, whose cultivating powers they have bound (to this land) in perpetuity, I give and I dedicate, that you may willingly be propitious.

CIL VI 32323 = ILS 5050 Acta Sacrorum Saecularium, Rome, 17 BCE

92-99: Moerae, in accordance to what is written for you in the [Sibylline] books, and for this reason may good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites, let it be a sacrifice made to you Fates of nine ewes and nine she-goats burnt whole for you. I pray and I ask that you may increase the sovereign power and majesty of the Roman people, the Quirites, in war and peace; as you have always watch over us among the Latins. Forever may you grant safety, victory and health to the Roman people, the Quirites. May you bestow your favor on the Roman people, the Quirites, and on the legions of the Roman people, the Quirites. May you preserve the health and welfare of the people of Rome, the Quirites, and may you always remain willingly favorable and propitious to the people of Rome, the Quirites, to the college of the quindecimviri, to me, to my house and household. May you accept [this] sacrifice of nine female lambs and nine she-goats, to be burnt whole for you in sacrifice. For these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice of this female lamb, and become favorable and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, to the college of the quindecimviri, to myself, to my house, and to my household.

105-6: Jupiter Optimus Maximus, as it is prescribed for you in those books ?and for this [reason] may good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites let sacrifice be made to you with this fine bull. I beg you and pray. The rest as above.

117-18: Ilythia, as it is prescribed for you in those books and for this reason may every good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites let sacrifice be made to you with nine popana, nine cakes, nine phthoes. I beg and pray. The rest as above.

121-22: Juno Regina, as it is prescribed for you in those books and for this reason may every good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites ? let sacrifice be made to you with a fine cow. I beg and pray. The rest as above.

125-131: Juno Regina, if there is any better fortune that may attend the Roman people, the Quirites, we one hundred and ten mistresses of households of the Roman people, the Quirites, married women on bended knee, pray that you bring it about, we beg and beseech that you increase the power and majesty of the Roman people, the Quirites in war and peace; and that the Latins may always be obedient; and that you may grant eternal safety, victory and health to the Roman people, the Quirites; and that you may protect the Roman people, the Quirites, and the legions of the Roman people, the Quirites; and that you may keep safe and make greater the state of the Roman people, the Quirites; and that you may be favorable and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, to the quindecimviri sacris faciundis, to us, to our houses, to our households. These are the things that we one hundred and ten mistresses of households of the Roman people, the Quirites, married women on bended knee, pray, beg, and beseech.

136-7: Terra Mater, as it is prescribed for you in those books nd for this reason may every good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites let sacrifice be made to you with a pregnant sow of your own, as a whole burnt offering. I beg and pray. The rest as above.

141-146: Apollo, as it is prescribed for you in those books and for this reason may every good fortune attend the Roman people, the Quirites let sacrifice be made to you with nine popana, and nine cakes, and nine phthoes. I beg and pray. The rest as above. Apollo, just as I have offered popana and prayed to you with proper prayer, for this same reason be honored with these sacrificial cakes. Become favorable and propitious. The same was said concerning the phthoes. To Diana in the same words.

CIL VI 32329. 10 sqq. Acta Sacrorum Saecularium addition

Juno Regina, we, one hundred and ten the mothers of the families of the people of Rome, the Quirites, pray you allow what is now beneficial to the people of Rome, the Quirites, may then be made better, and we brides implore you to aid and increase the sovereign power and majesty of the people of Rome, the Quirites, in war and peace, and always to watch over the fame of the Latins. And may you favor the people of Rome, the Quirites, and the legions of the people of Rome, the Quirites, and preserve the republic of the people of Rome, the Quirites, and may you willingly favor and prosper us, our homes, and our families. This is what the one hundred and ten mothers of the families of the people of Rome, the Quirites, we brides of our families, pray, entreat, and implore (you to grant.)
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:40 am

Carmen Fratrum Arvalium

Lasas assist us, Lasas delight us, Lasas come to our aid!
Neither plague nor ruin, Marmor, allow to be visited on us.
But if however we are invaded, like Mars we shall leap across our borders
To sate you with the blood of our enemies and stay the barbarians.
Marmor assist us, Marmor defend us, Marmor come to our aid.
Triumph, triumph, triumph, triumph, triumph!

ENOS LASES IUVATE! ENOS LASES IUVATE! ENOS LASES IUVATE!
NEVE LUE MARMAR SINS INCURRERE IN PLEORIS.
SATUR FU, FERE MARS, LIMEN SALI, STA BERBER
ENOS MARMOR IUVATO, ENOS MARMOR IUVATO, ENOS MARMOR IUVATO!
TRIUMPHE! TRIUMPHE! TRIUMPHE! TRIUMPHE! TRIUMPHE!

Vows of the College of Fratres Arvales

I G. Appel 34
O Jupiter Optimus Maximus, if You allow the emperor ...and [the Fratres Arvales] for whom I speak, to live uninjured and keep their homes safe, then come next 3 Jan., voted by the people of Rome, the Quirites, for the benefit of the Republic of the Roman people, the Quirites, [a sacrifice will be offered.] Should You preserve today's emperor and the people in good health from danger, if they remain as they are today as far as possible, and the results are beneficial as I have spoken, and, too, if You will grant to the emperor and this state as they are now or you will preserve them in a better state, thereby making it so, then in the name of the College of the Fratres Arvales I vow to You to sacrifice two bulls with gilded horns in the future.

Jupiter Optimus Maximus, for the same reasons given earlier today when (2) bulls with gilded horns were vowed to You in the future, what this day was vowed with these very words, and if You will make it so, then I vow to You an [additional] gift worth 25 pounds of gold and 4 pounds of silver to be drawn from the wealth of the Fratres Arvales in whose name I speak

Juno Regina, in the very same words that a vow was made to Jupiter Optimus Maximus of a sacrifice of bulls with gilded horns, what was vowed today, if You will make it so (also), then I vow to You in the future, in the name of the College of the Fratres Arvales, oxen with gilded horns.

Minerva, for the same reasons in the very same words that female oxen with gilded horns were vowed to Juno Regina earlier today, and if You will make it so, then to You, in the name of the College of the Fratres Arvales, I likewise vow oxen with gilded horns.

Salus Publica, health of the Roman people, the Quirites, for the same reasons stated when today a vow was made to Juno Regina, offering to sacrifice female oxens to her, what was vowed today, if You will make it so, then to You, in the same way, I vow to You white female oxen to be sacrificed in the future.

In these same words were vows made to the Dea Dia, Salutus, and the divine Augustus.

II G. Appel 39:
Jupiter Optimus Maximus, to You we pray, we plead, we entreat in order that the emperor Caesar Hadrian, son of Nerva Trajan Augustus Germanicus, our prince and patron (of our college), the Pontifex Maximus, having the powers of the Tribune of the People, Father of the Fatherland, we wish him well and prosperous as he travels from this place and province, over whatever lands or seas, returning safely and victorious in whatever matters he now undertakes. Grant him good results, and to this state, as it is now, or as it may improve in the future, keep him safe, and allow him to return to us safely and victorious. Also, may You first stop in the city of Rome. And if You make it to be so, then we vow to You, in the name of the College of the Fratres Arvales, in the future (to sacrifice) oxen with gilded horns

Juno Regina, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M for the health, safe return and victory of the emperor, of the divus Caesar Hadrian Nerva, son of Nerva Trajan Augustus Germanicus, the principle member and patron of our college, Pontifex Maximus, having tribunician powers, Father of his country, to You we vow to offer in the future a oxen with gilded horns. As thus you make it so for the City, then to You we vow, in the name of the Fratres Arvales, an ox with gilded horns to be offered in the future.

Minerva, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Jovis Victor, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Salus Publica, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Mars Pater, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Mars Victor, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Victoria, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Fortuna Redux, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Vesta Mater, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Neptunus Pater, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...

Hercules Victor, for the same reasons spoken in the vows to Jupiter O. M...
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum