Divine Women

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Divine Women

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:44 pm

Salvete

I have always thought there was a little goddess in every woman, and a question on our history list reminded me of those women who were recognized as having achieve apotheosis. So which women achieved goddesshood and when?

The first woman to receive apotheosis was Drusilla, Caligula's sister, when the Senate so passed a resolution on 23 September 38 CE after a former praetor swore he had seen her ascension. Julia Augusta was also recognized as a goddess and her statue added to the temple of Augustus by Claudius. Claudia Augusta, the four month old daughter of Nero by Poppaea, was so recognized in 63 CE. Poppaea herself later became a goddess. Vespasian's daughter Flavia Domitilla, who died before he became emperor, was next to achieve apotheosis. Traianus' wife Plotina, his sister Marciana, and his niece Matilda were all recognized as goddesses. The the wives of Hadrian (Sabina, Antonius Pius (Faustina) and Marcus Aurelius (also Faustina) were recognized as goddesses. Livia, Faustina the Elder, Agrippina the Younger, Livilla, Antonia Minor, and even the infamous Messallina were identified as reincarnations of Ceres. Only the wife of Septumus Severus, Julia Domna, seems to have been recognized a goddess while still living. The anniversaries of these apotheoses were placed as festivals in the fasti used by imperial soldiers.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:57 pm

Salve Marce! Si vales, bene est, valeo.
I was just chatting with folks on another board about apotheosis.
Do you know if a senatorial decree is all that is needed for apotheosis in the Religio Romana?
Vale bene!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:23 am

Salve Garrule

I thought I had posted a reply already, but it seems it did not get through.

Basically yes. Apotheosis was not really recognized before the imperial period, after Julius Caesar was declared a god, except in the case of Romulus. There was a formality of holding a hearing before the Senate where witnesses had to attest to seeing the ascension, as in the case of Romulus and Drusilla, and then the Senate would issue its decree. Of course only members of the imperial family were recognized, and at the whim of the emperor, who the Senate was in no position to deny.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:09 am

Salvete,

As for the apotheosis of emperors, it is quite often said in basic books about Roman history that the "good" emperors (i.e. Augustus) were deified, and that the "bad" (i.e. Domitianus) sometimes even received the damnatio memoriae, i.e. the erasing of their memory.

However, we should indeed always be reminded that it was the Senate who voted the deification of emperors. Thus, an emperor who gave the Senate considerable freedom and didn't kill too many of its members could be deified, even if perhaps he was not the greatest of statesmen. On the other hand a fine administror such as Domitianus suffered the damnatio memoriae because of his being openly autocratic and because of the fact that he did not shrink back from having a bunch of patres conscripti killed.

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:53 pm

Salve Attice

Apotheosis has to be recognized after an emperor passes, and some just did not leave under the best of circumstances. No emperor asked the Senate to deify Otho or any of the others whose terms were shortened by a usurper. the Antonines and their family members were deified as was Septimius Severus, perhaps because they were able to pass on their titles without some new dynasty coming to power. Recognition of apotheosis was more of a political game than a religious decision, and the emperor could twist arms in the Senate to even have his lover recognized as a god. Some emperors I think did deserve such an honor, but it was more a matter of who followed after them as to whether the Senate recognized it.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:32 pm

Salve Piscine,

Now that I think of it, I don't believe our regula has provisions against people being deified by means of a senatusconsultum... Shall we insert such a clause, or shall we being screening candidates ? Any ? :lol:

Vale optime,

divus Atticus :wink:
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:52 pm

Salve Attice

Now that you mention it, I have in the past had discussions of that nature. There are a few names that frequently come up. I think Marylin Monroe was one that many thought deserved such recognition. And it is really only recognition by us poor mortals of those favored by the Gods. I think it worth discussing the topic, who we think might be worthy of recognition, ancient or modern. And if the Senate wishes to make an official decree of who the Collegium Religionis wishes to recognize as having attained godhood through the merit of their deeds, fine with me.

So who? Most of the ancient candidates you might bring up probably were already thought of as having attained apotheosis. Marcus Aurelius, Plato, Plotinus and a few others come to mind. More recent individuals to include? Garibaldi is one I like, and in the same vein maybe Simon Bolivar. Certainly some of the Founding Fathers of the US have been thought in such terms; there is one portrait of the apotheosis of George Washington as I recall. Every country will have their heroes. [There is not a year that goes by that I do not raise a toast on the anniversary of Stalin's death, but their is a personal joke in that.] But who should rate such an esteemed recognition I think must be individuals whose legends carried over international borders. Marylin I think had a star reserved as her heavenly abode. Elvis, not because of his music, but because of the kind of person he was, I think deserves consideration. Anyone favoring Cleopatra for consideration? There are quite a number of historical people, and maybe some mythical people too, who we might think to discuss for SVR to hold in esteem as Manes that inspire our sodales.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum