apotheosis

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

apotheosis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 am

SALVETE OMNES!
I'm trying to understand the process of apotheosis in Roman religion. As it is a Greek word, maybe the Collegium Graecum could help me...
What is exactly needed for apotheosis to take place? A God/dess presents a mortal to the Gods, they accept the mortal, then the mortal becomes a God? Is that how it happens?
Also, in Greek mythology, is Herakles the only person this happened to?
MVLTAS GRATIAS VALETEQVE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:43 pm

Salve Garrule

Another mortal at the Olympian banquet tables would be Ganymede. There are others. I forget his name now, but one goddess had a mortal granted immortality but neglected to ask that he never grow old. And then there is Adonis, the boy-toy shared by Persephone and Aphrodite who later became a god. Hercules's story was taken as a metaphor for all mortals, in some schools of philosophy, whereby all mortals can achieve apotheosis by their deeds. The process by which this was achieved I think would be explained differently among the schools of philosophy.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum