Fasti Ostienses

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Fasti Ostienses

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon May 24, 2004 4:47 pm

Salvete,

In a course-book I'm currently studying, mention is made of the Fasti Ostienses. As the book doesn't explain what they are exactly about, I wish to ask if anyone here can tell me a little more about them.

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue May 25, 2004 4:17 am

Salvete Attice et omnes

The Fasti Ostiensis is one of forty three inscribed calendars. They are named after where they were found. Only one, the Fasti Antiates maiores, dates to the Republican era and prior to Julius Caesar's reform of the calendar. Many of the others date to the Augustan period, but they extend all the way into the late fourth century CE. They represent the official civil calendar of the location where found. Some like the Fasti Praenestini relate information on festivals held in Rome, others like the Fasti found in Campania relate to festivals held in the vicinity of Capua. They do not all agree on festivals, the names of festivals or the dates on which they are celebrated.

In addition there is Ovid's poem Fasti about the first six months of the year, Varro's comments in Lingua Latina about the months, and fragments of commentaries on the Fasti by others. Then there is one military calendar from Dura Europus that concerns the imperial cultus and only barely relates to the Fasti
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum