Is there a difference between psychical and physical

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Is there a difference between psychical and physical

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:26 pm

Salvete!

What I would like to hear from our other philosophers here: is there a difference between psychical and physical? e.g. a 'psychical' disease. Isn't is physical too? Is the difference between psichical and physical just a matter of classification or is there a difference in real life too?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:11 pm

Salve Locate,

In my opinion, a strict distinction between the two is completely outdated. On the one hand physical damage to the brain, e.g. after an accident, can result in the loss or degradation of certain psychical faculties (e.g. speech), while on the other hand "psychical" illnesses such as depression are known to have serious effects on our "physical" constitution, e.g. stomach cramps, insomnia etc. Even being nervous about something already makes your blood pressure go up considerably and I think that's just the proverbial top of the iceberg : in the next few decades, I expect many more links between the physical and the psychical constitution to be found, hopefully resulting in a better, more holistic treatment. In fact, looking at it from that way, modern medical science is in a sense reverting to Hippocrates old intuition that our organism must be treated as a whole and not just a series of parts.

Vale !

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum