Wedstrijd

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Wedstrijd

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue May 25, 2004 6:03 pm

Ave Belgae,

Een ideetje : zouden we niet met Belgae die het Latijn min of meer machtig zijn deelnemen aan de vertaalwedstrijd van het Nederlands Klassiek verbond (en met de gunst van de goden misschien wat naambekendheid verwerven zo ? :roll: ) ?

15 regeltjes Petronius en/of een 12e eeuws Latijns gedicht van 30 verzen. Moet wel af kunnen geraken tegen 1 juli. Quid censetis ? Afhankelijk van met hoeveel we zijn vertalen we om beurt een aantal regels en daarna bespreken we mekaars vertaling. Moet toch - ondanks de drukke omstandigheden - lukken op een maand tijd, niet ?

Valete,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue May 25, 2004 6:47 pm

Salvete,

Ik geef alvast voor wie eerst eens wil zien waar het om gaat het tekstje van Petronius (als we meedoen stel ik voor om enkel dat te vertalen), met eronder als ondersteuning een vertaling in het Engels :

Interpositis enim paucis diebus, cum similis casus nos in eandem fortunam rettulisset, ut intellexi stertere patrem, rogare coepi ephebum ut reverteretur in gratiam mecum, id est ut pateretur satis fieri sibi, et cetera quae libido distenta dictat. At ille plane iratus nihil aliud dicebat nisi hoc: "Aut dormi, aut ego iam dicam patri". Nihil est tam arduum, quod non improbitas extorqueat. Dum dicit: "Patrem excitabo ", irrepsi tamen et male repugnanti gaudium extorsi. At ille non indelectatus nequitia mea, postquam diu questus est deceptum se et derisum traductumque inter condiscipulos, quibus iactasset censum meum: "Videris tamen, inquit, non ero tui similis. Si quid vis, fac iterum". Ego vero deposita omni offensa cum puero in gratiam redii, ususque beneficio eius in somnum delapsus sum. Sed non fuit contentus iteratione ephebus plenae maturitatis et annis ad patiendum gestientibus. Itaque excitavit me sopitum et: "Numquid vis?" inquit. Et non plane iam molestum erat munus. Vtcunque igitur inter anhelitus sudoresque tritus, quod voluerat accepit, rursusque in somnum decidi gaudio lassus. Interposita minus hora pungere me manu coepit et dicere: "Quare non facimus?" Tum ego toties excitatus plane vehementer excandui et reddidi illi voces suas: "Aut dormi, aut ego iam patri dicam". <. . .>

"As soon as the third night left me free to try again, I rose as before, and creeping up to the rascal, who was lying awake expecting me, whispered at his ear, 'If only, ye Immortal Gods, I may win of this sleeping darling full and happy satisfaction of my love, for such bliss I will tomorrow present the lad with an Asturian of the Macedonian strain, the best to be had for money, but always on the condition he shall not feel my violence.' Never did the stripling sleep more sound. So first I handled his plump and snowy bosoms, then kissed him on the mouth, and finally concentrated all my ardors in one supreme delight. Next morning he sat still in his room, expecting my present as usual. Well! you know as well as I do, it is a much easier matter to buy doves and fighting cocks than an Asturian; besides which, I was afraid so valuable a present might rouse suspicion as to the real motives of my liberality. After walking about for an hour or so, I returned to the house, and gave the boy a kiss--and nothing else. He looked about inquiringly, then threw his arms round my neck, and 'Please, sir!' he said, 'where is my Asturian?' "'It is hard,' I replied, 'to get one fine enough. You will have to wait a few days for me to fulfill my vow.' "The boy had wits enough to see through my answer, and his resentment was betrayed by the angry look that crossed his face. "Although by this breach of faith I had closed against myself the door of access so carefully contrived, I returned once more to the attack. For, after allowing a few days to elapse, one night when similar circumstances had created just another opportunity for us as before, I began, the moment I heard the father snoring, to beg and pray the boy to be friends with me again,--that is, to let me give him pleasure for pleasure, adding all the arguments my burning concupiscence could suggest. But he was positively angry and refused to say one word beyond, 'Go to sleep, or I will tell my father.' But there is never an obstacle so difficult audacity will not vanquish it. He was still repeating, 'I will wake my father,' when I slipped into his bed and took my pleasure of him in spite of his half-hearted resistance. However, he found a certain pleasure in my naughty ways, for after a long string of complaints about my having cheated and cajoled him and made him the laughing-stock of his school-fellows, to whom he had boasted of his rich friend, he whispered, 'Still I won't be so unkind as you; if you like, do it again.' "So forgetting all our differences, I was reconciled to the dear lad once more, and after utilizing his kind permission, I slipped off to sleep in his arms. But the stripling was not satisfied with only one repetition, all ripe for love as he was and just at the time of life for passive enjoyment. So he woke me up from my slumbers, and, 'Anything you'd like, eh?' said he. Nor was I, so far, indisposed to accept his offer. So working him the best ever I could, to the accompaniment of much panting and perspiration, I gave him what he wanted, and then dropped asleep again, worn out with pleasure. Less than an hour had passed before he started pinching me and asking, 'Eh! why are we not at work?' Hereupon, sick to death of being so often disturbed, I flew into a regular rage, and retorted his own words upon him; 'Go to sleep,' I cried, 'or I'll tell your father!'"

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue May 25, 2004 7:59 pm

Gegroet,

ik vind dit wel een goed idee. Ik zal er wel niet aan kunnen meewerken daar mijn Latijn beperkt is gebleven tot de eerste twee jaar.

Maar toch een goed initiatief!

grtz
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Wed May 26, 2004 11:12 am

Ahoi, leuk idee, maar ik ga er gewoon geen tijd voor hebben, laat staan zin om eraan mee te werken, tijdens de examens moet ik al niet veel anders doen dan Latijn of Grieks vertalen, dus als ik even vrijaf neem, zal het niet zijn om Latijn te vertalen.

Briljant tijdstip om in te dienen trouwens, 1 juli, pal in of na de examens, was het nu nog in november ofzo geweest...

Maar goeie moed voor wie eraan meedoet !

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu May 27, 2004 7:22 am

Hallo mateys!

Attice, vanuit uw functie van Legatus us dit een zeer schoon voorstel. Maar ook ik vind de timing nogal rottig, temeer daar ik al mijn Latijnse grammatica zou moeten herbekijken, wil ik een leesbare en toch correcte vertaling afleveren. En daar heb ik geen tijd voor...

Ik groet u allen, en nog es veel succes met de examens, iedereen!
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu May 27, 2004 2:44 pm

mijn Spaans is niet goed en is het nooit geweest. Ik wil best wel een vertaling in leesbaar nederlands formuleren.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Linguarum