IO SATVRNALIA

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

IO SATVRNALIA

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:24 pm

Avete Amici Romani!

IO SATVRNALIA!!!!

Valete optime,
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:59 pm

Io Saturnalia, amica!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Horatius Piscinus scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:33 am

[Horatius Piscinus, on the old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:54 am Post subject:

IO SATURNALIA

"Saturnus, let slip your fetters and come hither with December, tipsy on much wine, with Mirth laughing and with Humor insolent (Statius Silvae I.vi.4-6)."

Salvete optime Sodales omnes et alii

For me it has been an especially happy Saturnalia this year with the return of my youngest son from the wars on the Eastern frontiers. It was good to see he had the opportunity to visit the painted gates of distant Babylon; better still to have had him return safely. Before he left we had bottled up some barley wine and mead together, which contributed much to this year's festivities. I sincerely hope that all of you are delighting in your festivities as well.

Tonight we remember the Lares Permarinis, those Romani who died in distant places or at sea. While my son was off to Alexandria on the Tigres (Ishkandirah) I could not help but think of them and asked that they as well as my own Lares watch over him. So tonight I will turn to a more solemn celebration, giving thanks and honoring all milites Romani no matter where they may lie today.

Valete et vadete in pace Deorum

IO SATURNALIA!

Sapere aude!
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General