Ave from John Maddox Roberts

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Ave from John Maddox Roberts

Postby decimus caecilius on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Hello, I'm John Maddox Roberts, author of the SPQR mystery series set in the late Republic. I've just joined this board and will be happy to answer any questions any of you might have.
decimus caecilius
Socius
Socius

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Welcome to the board. I always enjoyed reading your SPQR mysteries. Will definitely come back once I find time to re-read them and a question comes up to my mind. :lol:
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

John Maddox Roberts

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:35 am

Salve, Iohanne - et Scriptor et Auctor - et alii Iohanne, ut sum -

Nonne tuum nomen in Barbariani Conanis librorum faciebus conspectavi? Aren't you one of the writers of new Conan tales? I'm sure we all welcome you here.

I don't read much popular fiction nowadays, so unfortuneately I haven't read any of the SPQR mysteries. I will have to head over to Wikipedia and see what they have to say about your opera.

I wonder - were R. E. Howard alive today, whether he might've joined the Societas Via Romana. In his fictive nation of Aquilonia, you get a mix of both medieval France and ancient Rome - a wonderful fusion.

Gaudeor quod venisti. Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Point of Law

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:01 am

Salve Decimi Caecilii, atque sodalibus omnibus s. p. dico.

I got a copy of your 10th SPQR book, "A Point of Law", and have just begun it (between studying and work and my family's demands). It's a great read for an untutored adopted Roman like myself - lots of characters, situations and historical personages, geography and landmarks of the city. Gratias tibi, Caecilii; volumen bene incipit.

I recommend this book, especially for those of us who are not a Bachelor, a Master or a Doctor of the Classics.

Valete bene sodales omnes.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum