Latin Symposium - Res Gestae Divi Augusti

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Latin Symposium - Res Gestae Divi Augusti

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:26 am

http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/?p=85

I’ve decided to do a reading of the entire Res Gestae in Latin at the forum. If you’re interested, sign up here!

Title: Res Gestae Divi Augusti

Scope: A reading and full translation of Res Gestae with a study of the historical events behind it.

Prerequisites: At least some advanced Latin knowledge.

The symposium will be reading Res Gestae Divi Augusti. Every week, we will be working through the selected passages commenting on both the Latin text and any historical information behind it. Everyone who knows Latin or would like to learn about the history behind the first emporer is welcome to join. The first meeting will commence on Monday and will last through the whole week.

Adeste Latini Romanique!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Iacobulus on Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 am

An excellent idea, Quinti. I wish I had the time! Seneca, Thomas More and Plato are occupying all of my time at the moment. So I can't join. :cry:

If there is anything else like this planned for the summer, I'm game!

Cura ut optime valeas!
Quis fallere possit amantem? ~ P. Vergilius Maro
Quidquid bene dictum est ab ullo, meum est ~L. Anneus Seneca
Iacobulus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:56 am

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, I do have plans for more than just Res Gestae. I figured that Res Gestae is easy enough Latin to do as an introduction to the serial discussion we'll be having. I haven't decided what text to do next, though. I was thinking of Aeneid (1st half) although I may do a simpler text in between. I'll probably end up having some Greek strewn in there also. So much to do!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Iacobulus on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:23 am

The Aeneid would be fantastic to do. And Greek? Oh, I would so enjoy that, time well spent in the summer. Greek is my first love. :)
Quis fallere possit amantem? ~ P. Vergilius Maro
Quidquid bene dictum est ab ullo, meum est ~L. Anneus Seneca
Iacobulus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:14 pm

I was going to start off with the Gospel of Matthew as a parallel to Res Gestae (both are very simple). But I do not have the time right now to be running several of these projects at once. I hardly have the time to check in here.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Re: Doing Res Gestae

Postby Anonymous on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:30 pm

Xairete all,

I'm new to the forum and more Greek than Latin oriented ( : but...

Don't forget to post places like Latin and
Greek study groups (where you find both LatinStudy and GreekStudy which are there lists)

http://www.quasillum.com/latin/latin-activities.php

and Textkit to acquire more potential students,

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/

as these places typically run longer study groups like that which will be required for a text like yours and have a large mailing list of potential students who could enrich your group,and who might be interested in this community.

I don't know what your proposed format will be but you can get the visual runtime software from Latin Study Lists if you intend to do collations.

I personally like live Yahoo group type chats for study groups and have found that to be the most effective method to actually discuss grammar in depth or to discuss the text as a text.

For sharing translations, collations are good.

I participate in a Bacchae reading group for the GreekStudy list and we have collations that we send to the main list and then have another yahoogroup set up for discussion.

no chats for that group.

I cannot participate in any Latin readings, as I am only doing Greek and Egyptian at the moment ( : but I can give anyone who has not led study groups before tips about how best to go about it.

Check out my message for a New Attic Greek group for beginners over on the main page here.

Also here's a link to the Museum site for Augustus' monument, which might interest you it has images of the reconstructed altar.

http://en.arapacis.it/museo/editoriale

good luck with your project.

best,
Karen
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Linguarum