Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby C. Cornelius Rufus on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:09 pm

Gaius Cornelius Rufus Salvete Omnes

Hello everyone! I have just joined this group and hope to find others interested in Roman history and culture as I am. To be frank, I am a current assidui ("tax-paying citizen") of Nova Roma and I've had up to HERE (:roll:) with the stupid bickering crap that goes on there. Looking forward to making some new acquaintances.

Valete
Cornelius Rufus

C. Cornelius Rufus
Socius
Socius

Salve!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Salve, commilito!

...I think I can call you that; most of our long-standing members are veterans of similar wars on the same front. You've "had it up to there"? --Bene, we had a six-year head-start! >({|:-D

However, we have many Sodales who are joint-members of both organizations...and these are some of our most productive people. We do our share of kvetching about Nova Roma, and understand the difficulties many Romani experience there. But I ask that we respect those who still hold the "Other Place" worthy of their loyalties and their efforts.

NR will come around. It has to. There aren't enough Romans in the world for any one batch to isolate itself from all the rest. May the Gods smile upon those who strive to bring this about, whether or not they live to see those efforts come to fruition.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Salve Gai Corneli,

Welcome to SVR. I hope you'll find it to your liking.

Optime vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Salve, Gaii Cornelii -

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:46 am

Salve, Gaii Cornelii -

Welcome to the SVR. Opinor ut hoc situm tibi satis amabilem invenires.

For interest's sake, can I pose you a question? How did you first come to your Roman identity? Childhood? School studies? Divine visitation? :lol: How do you feel that you became, in your own self, a Civis? But if that's too forward and abrupt, I'll withdraw the question!

Spero ut nobiscum longe ageres. Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: Salve, Gaii Cornelii -

Postby C. Cornelius Rufus on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:12 am

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:For interest's sake, can I pose you a question? How did you first come to your Roman identity? Childhood? School studies? Divine visitation? :lol: How do you feel that you became, in your own self, a Civis? But if that's too forward and abrupt, I'll withdraw the question!

My first exposure to anything significantly "Roman" beyond the basics learned in school was Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series of novels. I have always been interested in history of all kinds and I soon found that reading books about Rome (particularly the military) starts to become like eating peanuts with no end in sight.

I have a keen interest in Middle Eastern archaeology (purely amateur) and am fascinated by the little known or understand facets of Roman domination over 1st Century Palestine. That is something that I think is thoroughly underestimated in the Biblical epics of Hollywood. I firmly believe that even ancient Palestine was much more Romanized than many people may be willing to admit.

Also, I am amazed at the level of engineering achieved by the Romans. I truly believe that it was perhaps only the lack of a simple steam engine that prevented a Roman Industrial Revolution. Now that's something that might be interesting to speculate about.

C. Cornelius Rufus
Socius
Socius

You might like...

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:05 am

Salve iterum, Gai Corneli!

Q Valerius Scerio runs a forum you might enjoy, called Ancient Mediterranean Cultures. Its theme is New Testament scholarship (emphasis on the scholarship), Mediterranean civilisation, and the intersection between them.

Mi Iohanne, your question is not too forward by my standards, at least; I launched a whole thread on the subject: it's called Introductions-->Romanitas Rising. Now, you'll have to rescue it from Page Two; the most recent post was in September of 2003. But several of our worthies chimed in...and then somebody had a baby, and somebody else devoured either some books or some children, and Mari ended up hitch-hiking by the side of the road. Confused? ...Ehh, we're a spontaneous bunch. That was sort of illegal in the Old Country, so we took the fun with us when we left. >({|;-)

That's the great thing about Forum topics, though--it's never too late to discover something, revive something, or just share a good laugh with the ancestors!

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Romanitas Rising, Eh?

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Aldo Mario Caioque Cornelio Rufo s.p.d.

Gaii Cornelii, interesting. Thanks for the story.

The extent and depth of Roman culture and influence IN the Eastern areas is not what one gets from a viewing of, say, Ben-Hur. But, Romans following the Greeks, and dominating the area for so long, it had to be so. If you ever work up an essay on this subject, perhaps you could add to our volumes in the Collegia.

And I find that everyone mentions, whether with reservations or not, the Roman series of Colleen McCullough. I guess I will have to put that on my reading list. Is there one or another novel in particular that you would recomment?

Valde, mi Mari, I knew this topic had been broached generally somewhere on the forum - I'll have to seek out that thread again. And especially so after your description:

But several of our worthies chimed in...and then somebody had a baby, and somebody else devoured either some books or some children, and Mari ended up hitch-hiking by the side of the road. Confused? ...Ehh, we're a spontaneous bunch.

It just occurs to me that I must be a sort-of "nissei", as it were - a second-generation cyber-civis, since I don't originally hail from "the Old Country" of NR.

Gratias vobis, valeteque.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

I'm a *what*??!?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:15 am

You mean I've gone and sired offspring in spite of myself??? >({|8-)

I like the nissei concept! In Hawai'i there's a most delightful term for it: an 'adopted' (assimilated) Hawai'ian is referred to as kama'aina, or "child of the land", and is for all intents and purposes treated as a native. Aloha!

In laule'a et paulele,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Spent some time there?

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 am

Marii -

Mehercule! Where'd you pick up Hawaiian?

Oh, yeah - it must have been during your peregrinations! :lol:

Vale bene.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Hawai'i 4-5

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Salvete iterum!

Maybe in exchange for the medallion of Hadrian I lost on Napili Beach in '99...? I wonder what the archaeologists will make of that!

Some time ago we had a thread in Collegium Linguarum...I nominated Hawai'ian (and Medieval Spanish) for "Most Beautiful Ancient Languages".

(Just fulla surprises, ain't he?) >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Romanitas Rising, Eh?

Postby C. Cornelius Rufus on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:And I find that everyone mentions, whether with reservations or not, the Roman series of Colleen McCullough. I guess I will have to put that on my reading list. Is there one or another novel in particular that you would recomment?

Having studied much history since I first read the series 10-15 years ago I may have a different opinion now. But I seem to recall liking the original book "The First Man in Rome" the best. That was mostly about the rise of Marius and his time period. Later books go into the rise of Sulla and the civil wars as well as the life of Julius Caesar.

C. Cornelius Rufus
Socius
Socius

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Salve Cae Corneli

Welcome to SVR. I think you shall find it different.

Formerly in Nova Roma I was a Tribunus Plebis and flamen Cerealis and cofounder of the Amici Dignitas. On the Ides of March 2001 I, along with a third of the Senate and the entire provincia Britannia resigned from Nova Roma. I was then invited to SVR where I became one of its first elected consules, Pontifex Maximus (when we still used that title, as well as Augur and Flamen), Rector of the Collegium Religiosum, and currently I am one of SVR's Curatores. Four years later, at the request of some inside Nova Roma and by some who remain outside, I rejoined Nova Roma and was once again elected a Tribunus Plebis afew months later, and also appointed Flamen Carmentalis. Currently in Nova Roma I am a Senator.

This is not Nova Roma. It is best to leave Nova Roma behind while in SVR and just enjoy SVR itself. No one here is particularly interested in the "rules of the game" unless you participate in the chariot races or an RPG. We do not pretend to be a "state", and we have very little of of organization as such, quite frankly because no one here is terribly interested. Hmm, maybe because of people's experiences in Nova Roma. What we do focus on is the community among our Sodales that is promoted through friendly and civil discussion on topics of interest to our Sodales. All of our Sodales have an interest in Roma antiqua and in other ancient cultures, but as you will find, our discussions are not always limited to such interests.

Another aspect of SVR is our website. Sodales may submit essays or other contributions to help our website grow, and thus also SVR's presence online. We are very interested to see what any new Sodalis might contribute in the way of information that other Sodales may use.

Sodales do not pay "taxes" in SVR, and no one has to apply to become a Sodalis in order to participate in the dicussions on our boards. However, if you do decide to become a Sodalis, then in order to remain a Sodalis you will have to contribute either to board discussions, contributions (essays) for our website, or assist with some of the minor administrative duties needed to keep SVR running.

I hope and trust you shall enjoy your visits to SVR, and I look forward to seeing you become a Sodalis as well

Vale et vade in pace Deorum
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions