New film production in the works: Pompeii (2009)

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

New film production in the works: Pompeii (2009)

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Link to the IMDB page here.

Sounds promising, except that Roman Polanski has just pulled out of the project, and they're going to cast Orlando Bloom and Scarlett Johansson in the lead roles. They may be good-looking, but I'm not entirely convinced of their acting abilities so far...

Anyone read the Robert Harris novel?
Last edited by Tarquinius Dionysius on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:46 am

I haven't read it yet, but I do know Scarlett Johansson can act. She is just not pretty to look at, but is good at what she does as well. Orlando Bloom was great as a elf in the LOTR trilogy, but like with Leonardo Dicaprio, I have a hard time seeing him playing other roles. Leo was great in What's eating Gilbert Grape, but so far his other movies have sucked.

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:36 pm

I've got to disagree with you on Leo's acting performances, Quintus. I thought he did a great job in The Departed for instance.

Orlando Bloom on the other hand hasn't proven himself so far. The only movies in which he was "ok" were the LOTR ones. I didn't really like him in Pirates of the Carribean and I disliked him in Kingdom of Heaven.

In short, I hope he doens't get cast.

Just my two cents.

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh no, Orlando Bloom. Why do they keep casting him in historical movies? As an actor, I think he has a very narrow reach.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I've been in doubt of Johansson's acting ever since Match Point. But let's return to the topic at hand. A synopsis from Amazon.com:

"Pompeii--With detailed examination of time, place, and circumstance, Harris brings to life first-century Pompeii and its surroundings. Vesuvius, a sleeping giant, towers over the Bay of Naples while the citizenry frets over a drought that is threatening the water supply. Marcus Attilius Primus, the new chief engineer for the huge aqueduct that supplies the area, is summoned by Corelia, beautiful daughter of the powerful and corrupt Ampliatus, to investigate a fish kill in their villa's pool, fed by the aqueduct. Attilius discovers that the bay's water supply is diminishing rapidly and is contaminated with sulfur. Youthful, upright Attilius vows to Pliny, famous scholar and admiral in charge of the huge fleet based there, to repair the damaged aqueduct in two days. Meanwhile, tremors are felt in Pompeii, and the populace fears that the god Vulcan is angry and may send another earthquake, such as occurred 17 years earlier. Attilius is successful, but the air, now filled with a fine gray dust, begins to rain pumice, and Vesuvius unleashes its fury. As the populace flees, he turns back to rescue Corelia, trapped in Pompeii, and the aqueduct he knows so well becomes their salvation. This story of a corrupt, violent society focused on its own pleasure, set against the fascinating history of a familiar catastrophe, makes for a compelling drama."

Sounds like Chinatown crossed with Dante's Peak :)
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:49 pm

well with a good script, not a mediocr one, it could be a good movie. I would prefer if Robert harris supervises the creation of that script. Than again, if this is going to be released in theaters, there is a big possibility that the studio's wil interfer and go with a less intelligent, simple, easy accesible movie. In other words, your typical blockbuster movie with little or no substance. Look at Alexander by Oliver Stone.
One can still hope that they do it right. There has been plenty of crappy "historical" movies produced over the last couple of decades: Arena, Amazons and Gladiators to name a few, but than again a few stand out like I, Claudius, Rome, Gladiator. I would even include 300 in here since it is semi-historical and unlike others is honest about what it is trying to do.

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to General