Ludi Circenses proposal

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Would Ludi Circenses in SVR interest you?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:48 pm

Yes, absolutely!
70%
No, definitely not.
No votes
Probably.
20%
Most likely not.
No votes
Yes, but I'm still a bit confused about this...
10%

Total votes : 10

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:26 pm

Salvete,

Just wondering if there any prizes? Laurel wreaths for the winners and mulit-colored wigs for the losers? :D

Valete,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:18 pm

No, there are no prizes.

However, at the end of the year, the global winner may distribute 31 points instead of 30 points on the statistics of his or her chariot for the coming year.

This one little point may seem little but in fact it makes quite a difference. If the Aediles were to accord one extra point to each winner in each race, we quickly would have four or five players spending 40 points on their chariot, and this would give odds very unfavourable for beginning players.

Also, there will be a table with individual scores put online. I'm still in the process of creating this website :).

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Re: curse!

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:40 pm

Quintus Claudius Locatus wrote:
Good idea! Where can I find a magician to put a spell on the other teams? :twisted:

Defixiones

ASKION KATASKION LIX TETRAX DAMNAMENEUS AISIONUS
Pro Di immortales Romulo et Celeri victoriam concedant et incolumem custodiant. I adjoin you now, semidivi who run swiftly among the stars, that you will gird up with strength and courage the horses of the Purpurarii who run before Celeres, who are driven by Romulus. Let them run and not become weary and stumble, let them run and be as swift as eagles, let no animal stand before them, and let no fascinatio or streghieri be brought upon them. May they turn tightly and swiftly without harm around the spina, driven on to victory, in triumph for Romulus and the Purpuarii.

I invoke, I sing, I call out, Novensiles, by the great names of the Di inferi so that you will bind every limb and every sinew of Myrtilos, the charioteer of the Venetae, to whom Tellus, Mater omnibus, gave birth, and of his horses which he is about to race. May the horses be bound who run before Aquila, that are driven by Myrtilos, whether they are called Iuvenis and Advocatus and Bubalas; or Pompeianus and Baianus and Victor and Eximius and also Dominator who belongs to Messala; and also bind any other horses who may be yoked to these. Bind their hooves and their legs, their onrush, their bounding, and their running, blind their eyes so that they cannot see, and twist their soul and their heart so that they cannot breathe. Just as this clay stag is now bound by its feet, by its hands, by its head, so bind the legs and hands and head and heart of Myrtilos, the charioteer of the Venetae, for tomorrow; and also bind the horses which he is about to race; under Myrtilos Pompeianus and Baianus and Victor and Eximius and Dominator, or Iuvenis and Advocatus and Bubalus and Lauriatus. May Aquila's axle bend, may its wheels splinter, may its harness be severed from its its horses, and Aquila thrown against the wall in splinters.

I call out, I invoke, I sing forth Eulamus, son of Consus, to join forces in this restraining spell and bind, tie up, block, torment, strike, overthrow, destroy and shatter Maximus, the charioteer of the Russatarii and all his horses on the morrow in the arena; let the starting gates not open properly to them, let him not compete quickly, let him not pass, let him not squeeze over, let him not win, let him not take a turn properly, let him not receive the honors, let him not squeeze over and overpower, let him not come from behind and pass but instead let him collapse, let his chariot Centaur be smashed into splinters, let Maximus be bound, let him be broken up, and let him drag behind by your power and trampled under the hooves of horses, both in the early races and in the later ones. Now, now, quickly, quickly!

I adjoin you, sive deus sive dea, to torment and obstruct, from this very hour, this day, this moment, defix the horses of the Albatarii, and their charioteer Damnator. Adjoined are you by him who delivered you, at the time, by the Di inferi et Di caelestes, to bind the fleetness of the horses set before Fulmen Draconis, bind their onrush, bind their bounding, bind their running in the lanes, bind their turning at the spina, may they stumble, may their legs crumble beneath them, may Fulmen Draconis be slammed against the wall and made into kindling. Dis Pater, Proserpina, subchthonic Mercurius et Di inferi omnes, bind up Damnator in the reins of his horses that he may be dragged away and brought into your keeping, may Orcus slam his head with His heavy mallet and Damnator admitted to the infernal realms, Damnator the charioteer of the Albatarii

Audi, Apeci, may you bind Indutiomarus et Morgareth, may you strip bare Seneciolus, Asedis, Tritios, Neocarinus, Dido, or any other horses, whatever their names, that are set before the chariot Gallia Victrix, strip them of their reins, may Eponia sever their reins and set them free. May Gallia Victrix be smashed into kindling upon Eponia's altars. May Indutiomarus et Morgareth, charoiteers of the Auratarii, become deleirius, may they suffer fevers, may they suffer every day, may they not be able to speak or to drive, may they not triumph, may they not be able to sacrifice. May Aquanno torment them. May Nana torture them. May they not be able to outshine the other drivers, may they not be able to snatch victory from
Romulus, charioteer of the Purpurearii

To you Deae phrugiae and nympha Edonia, and to you Nemesis, I invoke, I sing forth, I call upon you by your holy names that you may lend a hand and restrain and hold back Hannibal to whom his mother gave birth, just as I hand over to you this impious, accursed, and miserable Hannibal, to whom his mother gave birth, bound, fully bound, and altogether bound, in order that you may likewise restrain him. Send forth evil things onto him that Vedovius may strike fear into his heart, his soul, and his head, that he may be bedridden with fright, shrivelled up in his fear and his name cursed before all men. May the gods destroy Hannibal, and his stomach, and all the parasites that dwell in it, and all those Praesinarii who shall encourage them henceforth. May the Di inferi carry him off to Hades by his hair, and damn his breast, his ears, his head and all into putrefication, and may this curse likewise fall upon the horses he rides, stumbling before Elephantus into a chasm that may be open before them, and may Summanus strike Elephantus into flames, sered hot into cinders, consumed entirely in flames, to the Di inferi given in offering.

Pro Di immortales Romulo et Celeri victoriam concedant et incolumem custodiant.

:evil:
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Curse

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:12 pm

Hmmmm... this seemed to be a bigger reply than I expected...

But you didn't understand well enough, Marce, You were supposed to curse everybody EXCEPT the factio Praesina. Could you do this impressive stuff again, but in the right manner this way? :wink: :D

I never really believed in 'gods'. Now we will see their impact on our chariot races. :roll: :lol:

I keep it with: "Hup, Praesina, Hup! Hannibal! Olé!"

Valete,

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:19 pm

Salve Locate

Denying the gods is not likely to have them cheering your team on, and curse you anyway for taking the
BLUES I was looking forward to backing them. But I will give you an offhanded blessing Di te meient

I in crucem et vale male
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:43 pm

Good idea! Where can I find a magician to put a spell on the other teams? :twisted:

I deposit this binding spell with you, Pluto and Adonis and Hermes who holds the keys to those in Hades, and spirits and gods, and those who suffered an untimely death, boys and maidens, year by year, month by month, day by day, night by night, hour by hour. I adjure you, all spirits in this place, to assist the ghost. Rouse yourself for me, ghost, whoever you are, whether male or female, and go into every place, into every quarter, into every house, and bind Romulus, charioteer of the prupurae and that he may not even be able to eat nor drink nor ever get sleep nor enjoy good health nor have peace in his soul or mind in his desire to win the ludi. For I adjure you, ghost, by the fearful and dreadful name of he who has granted you death, he who has granted you the after-life and he who recalls you to the world of the living. Do not disobey my commands, ghost, whoever you are, whether male or female, but rouse yourself for me and go into every place, into every quarter, into every house, and bind Romulus, charioteer of the prupurae. Now now quickly quickly! Do not disobey my commands, ghost, whoever you are, but rouse yourself for me and go into every place, into every quarter, into every house and destroy Celeres, chariot of Romulus, charioteer of the purpurae, burning, blazing, melting away into ashes and dust. Let him not be able to until to eat nor drink nor ever get sleep nor enjoy good health nor have peace in his soul or mind until his dreadful death against the spina in the Hippodrome. Now now quickly quickly!

Valete,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:37 pm

Valete,

I would like to join the Ludi with the following charioteer:

Charioteer: Callidus
Chariot: Celetior
Factio: Russata
Speed: 8
Acceleration: 8
Turning circle: 5
Force: 2
Armour: 7
Tactic: Hurry last laps.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:38 am

At the announcement of a new entrant, Romulus swiftly courses across the Campus Martius to the altar of Dis Pater. There he casts vervain all about and scrubs the surface of the altar with mints. Then with woolen filaments he walks thrice in counter circle, wounding the thread. Sweet bays, Cerebus? spittle, and Hercules? herb he casts into the flame. In billowing henbane he kisses his hand in adoratio, turns about into the darkness. He pours wine to the ground and places his hand to the earth, pounding with each breath as he calls out.

"Sabaziu da nimio! Sabaziu da nimio! Sabaziu da nimio!

"Listen! Listen, dark mistress. Come forth as I, even I, call you forth beneath this waning perigee moon. Come infernal and terrestrial Proserpina Ultrix, goddess of the broadways, goddess of the crossroads, you who go forth to and fro at night, with torch in hand, with sword in hand, strike chill fear in the heart of
Callidus. Haunt now Calliduus , son of spuria, in his mind, in his liver, in his intestines, in his heart, in his marrow, in his veins, even in his drawn bark, that he may pay in his own blood, today, this very day, from the hour of his birth, from before he was born, the day created, before he was created, plague him with pustules, polyps and pestilence, fetter him with infections and festering torments. May you, Nemesis, impale Maximus on the spina like a new bride on Mutunus Tutunus. May Hercules find fault with Celetior as he did with Nessus when caught grazing on Deianira's pastures, and strike him with a blow so hard as to send him cascading in splinters. May drunken, besotted red Priapus take Maximus' horses to be the lovely lying Lotis, that his glory may cause them to quiver, quail and quake, that their legs he'll make to bungle, bumble and buckle, that their bellies he'll cram to rupture, crammed hard for evermore, that they fall to the ground bursting apart, their hides carried off by swarms of fleas, their flesh given to dogs, their manes plaited into the whigs of old hags."

:twisted: I in malem crucem :twisted:
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

The elephant

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:11 pm

Salvete!

This is a message to all drivers except Hannibal, the victorious driver from the factio Praesina. You better all quit! Hannibal ('the ball' as all friends, i.e. me can call him) has installed ESP, DSTC, BAS, EBD and ABC on 'the elephant'. You better all quit, because with this help we can't fail!

HAHAHA :twisted:

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:20 am

Salvete!

Factio Aurata, already dressed in gold to show that victory is ours, will defeat all challengers.

It's as simple as that!

AURATA AURATA AURATA AURATA AURATA AURATA AURATA AURATA

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:27 pm

Valete omnes

Since I feel that the Golden Hordes should win the coming races, I, Aulus Dionysius Mencius, will invoke all Hell's minions for the destruction our opponents. :twisted:

BEHOLD! The mighty voices of my vengeance smash the stillness of the air and stand as monoliths of wrath upon a plain of whithering serpents. I have become as a monstrous machine of annihilation to the festering fragments of the body of those who would detain us. It repenteth me not that my summons doth ride upon the blasting winds which multiply the sting of our bitterness; ang great black slimy shapes shall rise from brackish pits and vomit forth their pustulence into their puny brain.

I call upon the messengers of doom to slash with grim delight these victims that I hath chosen. Silent is that voiceless bird that feeds on the brain-pulp of those who hath tormented me, and the agony of what will be shall sustain itself in shrieks of pain, only to serve as a warning to them who would deny us our victory

Oh come forth in the name of Abaddon and destroy those whose names are in my mind
Oh great brothers of the night, thou who makest my place of comfort, who rideth out on the hot winds of Hell, who dwelleth in the Devil's fane; move and appear! Present yourself to those who sustain the rottenness of the mind that mocks the right and strong!;

Rend their gaggling tongue and close their throat, O Kali!
Pierce their longues with stings of scorpions, O Sekhmet!
Plunge their substance into thedismal void, O Dagon!

I thrust aloft the bibid barb of Hell and on its tinesresplendently impaled my sacrificethrough vengeance rests!

:twisted: Shemhamforash! :twisted:

All ail Factio Aurata!!!
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:50 pm

Salvete,

Considering the last 10 postings or so, I wondered about this:

Was there hooliganism involved in the Ludi ? Riots in or around the stadium,...

(and on a sidenote : were the Belgae then still the fortissimi or did the Britains start building their reputation around that period ? ;-) )

Valete bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:16 pm

Salve Lupe

Marcus Pomponius Lupus wrote:Was there hooliganism involved in the Ludi ? Riots in or around the stadium,...

There was that one mural of the Colleseum with a riot taking place in and around it, but I wouldn't worry too much on that here just yet. This has only been our preliminaries, the race won't start until the Kalends.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Ludi Societatis