Correct Female Versions?

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Correct Female Versions?

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I wonder if I got the following female versions right:

murmillo = murmilla
secutor = secutrix
hoplomachus = hoplomacha
retiarius = retiaria

Gratias tibi ago in advance for your help,
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby cepasaccus on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:08 am

For secutor, hoplomachus and retiarius I would use your choices, but for murmillo I would use just murmillo because it is 3rd declination/conjugation (I never can remember which is which). E. g. optio/-onis (the option) is female. So I would use "optimus murmillo" for a male version and "optima murmillo" for a female one.

vale
kitty mea felis dodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. me per pleramque meam vitam comitabat. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:10 am

Ditto. It's murmillo.

In antiquity, you do have some words that end in -o and a feminine version ending in -a, but they have different meanings. I can't think of one off the top of my head, though.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks for your swift answers, but I forgot another type for which I would like to know the female version and here I have no clue:

thraex

Would here the same rule apply as for murmillo that it stays the same and you could see it only if it is female or male when using an adjective?
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby cepasaccus on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:58 pm

salve Cleopatra

Thraex is also third something and hence I would also use Thraex for the female version.

vale
kitty mea felis dodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. me per pleramque meam vitam comitabat. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 am

Q Valerius wrote:Ditto. It's murmillo.

In antiquity, you do have some words that end in -o and a feminine version ending in -a, but they have different meanings. I can't think of one off the top of my head, though.

I remember! Decurio/decuria (mostly because I've been elevated to the decuria prima in the Sodalitas Latinitatis over at NR).

Thraex is just thraex.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Hmm...

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Salvete, amici Romani!

Hmm...not sure about that. Aren't those two different words, for two different things, rather than gender-variants of a single word for the same idea? Isn't decuria the unit of ten, and decurio the fellow heading it? (It is in the Auxilia, anyway...)

"My mind's made up--don't confuse me with the thraex!" >({|;-)

Daggone Roman,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:41 am

Mari, yes, they have different meanings, just as I said. However, decurio is still masculine, and decuria is still feminine.

Come to think about it, decurio could be feminine...
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 am

I guess that my question made it clear that I was looking for female versions of gladiator types so the meaning stays the same because it still refers to the "profession", i.e. a male gladiator or a female gladiator.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:33 am

Cleopatra Aelia wrote:I guess that my question made it clear that I was looking for female versions of gladiator types so the meaning stays the same because it still refers to the "profession", i.e. a male gladiator or a female gladiator.

Yes, yes, I know, I know. I was referring to this...when you asked if a female version of murmillo was murmilla. I said no and:

I couldn't remember one from my head, but then I did remember one. Decurio and decuria.

Sorry for the confusion.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Valete Omnes!

Could some one tell me the Latin/Roman version of the name Alessandra,I know its the Italian version of Alexandria, would it be Alexandra? Would Alexa be a nickname for it?

Also, is there a female Latin name that means "one of Purity" or just "Pure" or similar?

Is Melinda Roman? and whats the Latin female version of Reborn or Born Again?

Sorry to hijack the thread, But didnt want to create a new thread,when there was a similar thread....and sorry for so many question's.

Valete,
Silvanus
Marcvs Apollonivs Silvanvs
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Hijacked?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Salve, mi Apolloni! (got your info, btw; you'll be enrolled shortly!)

You haven't hijacked the thread; you've re-purposed it. >({|:-)

Na, really. We have a whole page on the site that's just the Names of Deities in the Vocative Case. Good resource if you're going to do much praying. I'm sure gladiator-types are not the only thing a visitor to the Collegium Linguarum might want to know the feminine endings for. And then there are things that look feminine but aren't; the cognomina Fimbria and Poplicola, pro exemplo. So...why not open this topic to any and all inquiries of the kind? Seems like a good place for it.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Hijacked?

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Aldus Marius wrote:Salve, mi Apolloni! (got your info, btw; you'll be enrolled shortly!)

You haven't hijacked the thread; you've re-purposed it. >({|:-)

Na, really. We have a whole page on the site that's just the Names of Deities in the Vocative Case. Good resource if you're going to do much praying. I'm sure gladiator-types are not the only thing a visitor to the Collegium Linguarum might want to know the feminine endings for. And then there are things that look feminine but aren't; the cognomina Fimbria and Poplicola, pro exemplo. So...why not open this topic to any and all inquiries of the kind? Seems like a good place for it.

In amicitia et fide,

Salve, mi Mari!
Gratias on the enrollment.

LOL I guess you could looke at it that way. ;)

I'll take a look at that page your referring to..maybe I can locate it lol.
Vale
Silvanus
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Havent found what I need...As for the page on the deities,not sure if I found the page you were referring to Mari, but it didnt help me any.Neither did the one on NR.

M.Apollonius Silvanus wrote:Valete Omnes!

Could some one tell me the Latin/Roman version of the name Alessandra,I know its the Italian version of Alexandria, would it be Alexandra? Would Alexa be a nickname for it?

Also, is there a female Latin name that means "one of Purity" or just "Pure" or similar?

Is Melinda Roman? and whats the Latin female version of Reborn or Born Again?

Sorry to hijack the thread, But didnt want to create a new thread,when there was a similar thread....and sorry for so many question's.

Valete,
Silvanus
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Alexandria is still Alexandria, the city in Egypt. Purus, -a, -um is pure, or castus, -a, -um. Pura would mean "a pure woman", Purius is potentially a name, and the daughter of whom would be "Puria". I don't know off-hand if it's attested.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Got it.

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Salve iterum, mi Apolloni!

"Born again"-- Got it. It's Renata. As in Renaissance. I should've known that right off... Anyway, it'd make a good cognomen.

I think "Melinda" might be a Romance (post-Latin) contraction of mi linda, "my pretty one". "Linda" in Spanish (one of my scraps!) can also mean "cute". Then again, Greek melinos means the color of quincefruit.

I've gotta ask: Who is this vision of purity and grace? >({|:-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:15 am

Q Valerius wrote:Alexandria is still Alexandria, the city in Egypt. Purus, -a, -um is pure, or castus, -a, -um. Pura would mean "a pure woman", Purius is potentially a name, and the daughter of whom would be "Puria". I don't know off-hand if it's attested.

Multibus Gratius Valeri! Hmm thought maybe the Romanization of it would be Alexandra,but thanks for the correction.
Haven't seen Puria or Casta as names but thanks!

Vale,
Silvanus
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Re: Got it.

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:21 am

Aldus Marius wrote:Salve iterum, mi Apolloni!

"Born again"-- Got it. It's Renata. As in Renaissance. I should've known that right off... Anyway, it'd make a good cognomen.

I think "Melinda" might be a Romance (post-Latin) contraction of mi linda, "my pretty one". "Linda" in Spanish (one of my scraps!) can also mean "cute". Then again, Greek melinos means the color of quincefruit.

I've gotta ask: Who is this vision of purity and grace? >({|:-)

In amicitia,

Yeah I should have known Renata guh lol..
my daughters name is Kayla which is suppose to mean pure. Its suppose to be similar to Katherine, which I just found out is Katharina in Latin and is associated with the Greek καθαρός (katharós) pure. But if it were a literal translation then like you say, it would probably be Casta or Puria.

Reborn and Melinda is from my wifes.
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to Collegium Linguarum