NR Provincial Conventus (Alabama, US)

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

NR Provincial Conventus (Alabama, US)

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 pm

From Nova Roma via The Roman Way:

Fl. Galerius Aurelianus Gub. Am. Austrorientalis S.P.D.

This is the first post to discuss a provincial conventus to be held on Sat., January 19, and Sun., January 20, 2008 in Birmingham, Alabama.

The Birmingham Museum of Art is hosting the exhibit "Pompeii: Tales from an Eruption" until January 27. This exhibit features 500 items from Pompeii, Oplontis, and Herculaneum. The price for this exhibit is $16.00 USD but if we can get a group of more than ten people, the price drops to $14 USD per person.

Birmingham, AL is also the home of the magnificent statue of Vulcan that was first featured at the 1904 World's Fair. This statue underwent extensive restoration in 1999 to restore it to its original appearance. The conventus would include a trip to Vulcan Park to visit the statue and its museum as well as use the overlook. One aspect of the conventus to be discussed is whether to visit the park late in the afternoon so as to watch the sunset over B'ham from the overlook. There is a $1.00 USD discount for groups of over 10 persons.

Saturday evening would conclude with a late dinner at a local Italian restaurant to warm up after the day's events and get to know fellow Nova Romans & members of other Roman organizations.

Sunday would include a brunch where a provincial meeting could be held to discuss plans for other provincial events to be held during 2008 (2761 AUC) as well as events in other provinces or other Roman groups.

If you are interested in attending this event and helping to plan it, please join the [Austrorientalis] list at yahoogroups.com. I would like to extend this invitation to the members of the legio formations within the borders of the NR province--Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis, Legio V Alaudae, Legio VI Ferrata, Ft. Lafe, and any other military or civilian formations--as well as Romans in neighboring provinces.

Valete.

Sounds cool--! And if half the invited groups show up, it's going to be one heck of a networking opportunity for anyone in that area. (Or even out of it--heck, I can pretend to be a Southerner for a couple of days, as long as I don't have to eat anything...!) >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Volcanus in Civitate Birminham

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Ave, ave, Alde Marii -
This trip sounds great. I love statuary, and one of Vulcan would be great to see. I doubt if my money situation will be adequate for my plane fare from California, BUT I'm putting it on my calendar anyway (quod futuri numquam certior sumus).
How's your sitting up and all that? Are you decently healed yet?
Vale bene.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Mari: Status Report

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:23 pm

[see post in General-->Marius' Thread; it's all good!] >({|:-)

-- Mari
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:18 pm

O Optime! I missed it. Maybe next time.

Great Photos of the Vulcan Statue: link
Marcvs Apollonivs Silvanvs
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Repeater

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Salve, mi Silvane!

Not to worry; Propraetor Galerius holds a Conventus every year. Semper paratus!

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Salve, Silane. Was that you I saw recently on the provincial list? Either way, welcome to our humble province. We'll see you next year!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Q Valerius wrote:Salve, Silane. Was that you I saw recently on the provincial list? Either way, welcome to our humble province. We'll see you next year!

Salve Valeri! Yes that was I. If your referring to the America Austrorientalis group. Et Gratius ago!

Vale,
Silvanus
Marcvs Apollonivs Silvanvs
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to Roman Gatherings