Vocatio Sodalibus: Third Curator Needed

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Vocatio Sodalibus: Third Curator Needed

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:59 am

Salvete, Omnes Sodales:

The Regula of the Society require that no fewer than three Curatores (id est, magistrates, directors) be in office. However, since the recent resignation of our colleague, M. Octavius Gracchus, we have been but two. We are in need of a Curator Suffectus, a third Curator to stand in Octavius Gracchus's place.

This post is an official call for candidates for this office. As of this time, any sodalis in good standing is eligible to stand for this office. The term will be for the remainder of this year, 2761 AUC (AD 2008), through the following year, 2762 AUC (AD 2009). The schedule of candidacy and actual voting will follow below. If you feel the Roman connection, and enjoy the Society and the Forum, help us to pilot it.

April 5: Elections announced.
April 5 - 20: Acceptance of candidacies, campaigning period (ending on the Feriae Latinae).
April 21 - 28: Voting period: the cistae open.
April 30: Results announced.
May 1: Curator Suffectus takes office....

And - by an interesting coincidence - he or she will actually take office on the seventh anniversary of the founding of the Societas Via Romana.

In fide,
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:20 am

Salve!

Oh heck...I have no idea what the Curator Suffectus is supposed to do.

But, since I am working on an SVR-related site, with ideas for more in the future, I will stand for the office.

As you know, the website I am working on is a virtual Roman Isis temple and exhibit. It is not an official SVR site but will mention SVRand carry a link. I have ideas for a site about Caesarea Martima since I will be there in a couple of weeks. And the third idea is just an idea. But it might be nice for SVR to have a virtual museum of classical antiquities someday.

I am leaving for Israel on May 11, so I will not be able to do much till late May. But put my name down for candidacy!

Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

M. Lucinius Paulus

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Salve, Marce -

Your name is penned upon the virtual papyrus as a candidate. The Society thanks you for it.

The "virtual museum of classical antiquities" is something that I, also, have hoped to realize. You can certainly count on any support I can offer in that regard.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Don't be shy...

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:15 am

Salvete, Romani viatores!

(Eh...? Nobody's lined up wrapped around the block to be Marius' boss??) >({|;-)

OK, OK, it's been asked (sort of), "What does a Curator do?" Bene, anyone can look up the duties in the Regula, or even on the Comitia thread for the last election. So I'll take it that you'd like to know what the job entails day-to-day.

- Visiting the Board a lot, keeping an especially close eye on the Comitia and the Curia

- Deciding things. Pro exemplo, now that I've got all the acta (edicta, decreta, Senatusconsulta) from before the Concilium posted, I'm curious as to how many of them are still in force. This term's Curatores will, I hope, be going through them and "ratifying" the ones that remain in effect.

- Representing the SVR in official communications. Practically speaking, that means making important announcements in the Forum and responding to things we get in our Webmail.

- Being the "public face" of the Societas. Greeting the newbies, working with other Roman groups in any region that hasn't already got a legatus, and organising or attending in-person events if they can.

- A Curator can appoint someone to assist in any of his or her duties if need be. Pro exemplo, right now Curator Servilius does the new-member applications, sometimes asking me about the names, so for that purpose I'm his assistant. But I am not in a decision-making capacity for the Societas at present, so I ping the Curatores quite as often as they ping me. (I can be a regular pest at times.)

- Even if a Curator doesn't appoint an accensus, s/he can always consult with the curiales ("advisory council"; most of us are former Curatores) as s/he feels the need. We won't let you drown!!

- And, yes, you would be contributing towards the site's hosting fees. It's okay, they're not onerous.

If anyone was wondering about qualifications, we don't have a time-in-service requirement; any Sodalis in good standing can stand for the Curatorship.

C'mon; don't be shy...! <g>

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Sodales! Contemplate!

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Avete, Sodales omnes -

The period allotted for candidacy and presentation in the Call and Election of a Curator Suffectus continues, but will draw to a close on XX Aprilis.

I want to urge all the Sodales of our Societas Via Romana to take a minute and consider standing for this open public office. The burdens are few, the prestige is - well - appreciable, and our membership composed of rather good folk.

Si tibi placeas, consider standing for election to the SVR's curatorship.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

A niggling detail

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 am

Salve, mi Iohanne, et Salvete omnes!

Ahhh, Magister, I betcha they're wincing at the hosting fees. Amici, it's ten dollars (US) a month (seventy bucks in dog money), split four or five ways. (As half-owner of the site, I chip in 'cause I like my job <g>).

Surely one or two more of you have ideas about the Societas and/or want your name on our business card and/or like the little "Magistrate" tag above your Avatar...? >({|;-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Electiones

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 am

Salvete, Quirites -

The period for Candidacy and Campaigning ends on the 20th of April. As we celebrate Rome's founding on April 21st, the period of Voting will have begun, and will close on April 28th.

April 29th is set aside for the tallying, as it were, and the Election Results will be announced on April 30th.

Again, if anyone wants to share the minor limelight of the Curatorship, it's time to post your candidacy.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:43 am

:oops: I would offer, if I thought I was equal to the task, but I feel I am not yet experienced enough. Perhaps some day.
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:17 am

Salve, Gaii Iulii Tabernarii -

Stick with us and you'll have a chance or two yet, most likely. Since your response was in the negative, you were not counted as a candidate -- but I, at least, note some enthusiasm there! :D

Vale bene, amice, atque nobiscum morare - Be well, friend, and stay with us.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Elections and Appointments

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:21 am

Salvete, Sodales -

Apologies -- the cistae have not been opened, election did not actually begin. This delay was inadvertent.

However, since we have but a single candidate who actually stood for office, the Curators, M. Servilius Priscus and myself, see no reason at this point for another week of election time. Put simply: there is the office, the need, and a Sodalis in good standing willing to fill it.

Accordingly, and the Society membership not opposing, we will appoint the officer come April 30th, 2008 (Pridie Kal. Mai., 2761 AUC).

If there are disagreements, please voice them!

Valete, Sodales omnes.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Out of Town

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Salvete, Sodales omnibus...

> Apologies -- the cistae have not been opened, election did not actually begin. This delay was inadvertent.

Curator Iohannes is being too kind. What he's trying to say without actually saying it is: Marius was out of town when the voting was supposed to begin, and, no one having given him the requisite kick in the head while he was in Road Mode, he didn't even think about the cista until late last week.

Go 'head, throw something at me. There's plenty of room in the trunk.

Humiliter,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia