If you could bring something back, what would it be?

Facets of everyday Roman life, from food to travel to petkeeping. "How did the Romans...?" answered here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Hope I didn't open up a political can o' worms...

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Melania Paulo sal.

Symbolic protest has accomplished quite a lot over the course of history. I am reminded of some non-violent resistance acts during the American civil rights movement in the 1960s.

I certainly understand your thought that a vote for a "no hope" third party candidate equates to throwing your vote away and I know there are many who agree with you, but I respectfully disagree.

Even if you did vote for a long shot outsider, at least you voted. You made your voice heard. One vote may not make much difference, but many votes can. It's your opportunity to say "I'm mad as h-ll and I'm not going to take it anymore!" Far better, at least in my opinion, to speak up rather than remain silent.

Perhaps I am too naive or too optimistic, but "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," as the old saying goes. I would like to think that our ancient Roman brethren (and sistren? :? ) would agree.

Optime vale,

Melania
Dum vivam, laeta ero.
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

Re: If you could bring something back, what would it be?

Postby Caeia Julia Regilia on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 am

I'd bring back quite a few things.

Religious tolerance. The idea that you've cornered the market on Heaven is the cause of so much trouble. If Allah and Jehovah were gods among many the followers could not fight each other. At least not about whose god is superior.

The ideal of a Philosopher King. Today everything is about Realpolitik and getting through the next election cycle. We need leaders who will LEAD, and who will genuinely have the best interests of the people at heart.

Apprenticeship. I think the best way to learn to do something well is to DO it, not read a bunch of books. I'm glad my current study has clinicals (I'm studying LPTA), because I don't think y0ou can really learn to care for people without actually having to do so in the course of your studies.

The idea of Virtues. I think it's actually more productive to think about "being pius" rather than "not worshiping other dieties". Negatives just don't encourage positive behavior.

Philosophy, just because I love it.
Ave Deorum!
Caeia Julia Regilia
Socius
Socius

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:10 am

Salve, Caeia Iulia -

Nice to read your posts.

Can I bring up two things? A question and a personal comment:

1. What's an LPTA? and

2. I'm not so sure about the "philosopher-king" and "leaders who will lead" - that lends itself to exactly the bad kind of politics the old 20th century was full of. "Leaders" are good in certain ways and situations, but a "leader king", especially one with a popular (and usually angry) "philosophy" is more often than not very bad news for the people themselves.

I would say, though, that the Spirit of Philosophy itself would be a good thing to be held more generally - at least as long as it refuses to endorse extremisms.

Otpime vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re:

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Quintus Aurelius Orcus wrote:Salve Draco

I would want to bring back the roman attitude towards life and religion. Their attitude is better than the ones we got today.
vale

Quintus

I can easily agree with that. (Are you still around Orcus)?

I would also bring back Roman engineering. Roman roads are still functioning after 2500 years, while my state government can barely fill a pothole in a modern road.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Lucius Ovidius Ursus wrote:I would also bring back Roman engineering. Roman roads are still functioning after 2500 years, while my state government can barely fill a pothole in a modern road.

Hmmmm. Very good point. That would pre-suppose that structures would be intended to last MORE than 40 or 50 years - unlike the current state of house, roads and shopping center construction! A revolution...! :wink:
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Salvete,

On the other hand, Roman roads saw traffic of a much lower intensity than modern highways. But some aspects for their engineering are indeed pretty sound, such as using cobbles and tiles rather than just paste everything with concrete. The problem with the latter solution is that it's harmful for the environment (water can't sink through it and the surrounding soil is soaked, exacerbating floods).

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Vitae Quotidianae