Holiday Festivities

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Holiday Festivities

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:22 am

Salvete Omnes,

What are all of you doing for this years holiday season?

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Holiday Festivities

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:33 am

Salve, Marce Lupinii -

Non multum, meo in casu. In my case, not much. But I am damned glad to be off work for a few days.

And, puzzling it over a bit, there are some things happening -
- My 17-year-old should be going on a lightning tour of several college campuses (and Universal Studios in LA, I think) with my brother-in-law;
- My mother will be down to spend Christmas with us, a nice thing;
- Tonight we'll have daa-been-no, "Chineses hot pot" for dinner, since an important pre-New Year's day is approaching and it's time to gather family;
- and I do plan to apply your super-Civ-3-SVR-scenario and try to spend a few hours at that!

But there are also all these pending things - bulbs on the Christmas lights to replace, gifts to get, groceries to buy, a post-Yule birthday gift for my wife to get, and candles to burn for Nativity, Yule and in anticipation of the return of Sol Invictus (and no, these are not necessarily authorized rites I'm performing)!

And just now, from NR's main list, I really enjoyed this Yule offering from one of theirs, Nabarz:

Nabarz wrote:"Salve,

Wishing you all a great Dies Natalis Solis Invicti / Winter Solstice/Shabe Yalda/ Yule.

Yule
The sun is setting low on the western horizon.
Sky serpent swallowing him once more
Yule night has arrived; sun's longest slumber.

We eat and drink all that is red
Wine, pomegranate and watermelon,
The colour of dawn, a reminder of what we eagerly wait for.

Shamash, Marduk, Sekhmet,
Descending immortals, you'll rise again
Apollo, Ra salutations to you.

Good night Osiris, weak and tired lying in your coffin,
Enclosed by darkness, tricked by Seth again!
An infant sun is born, Horus soaring up onto the sky.

Mithras born of a rock and out from the cave,
Becoming sol invictus and turning the wheel
Darkness, now a fading memory.

Oak king sings outside, as the Holly king lays slain
Dawn has arrived, Yule has ended.
Drink up your wine

-by Nabarz.

So, Marce, I assume you'll be letting us know something of what you'll be doing? :)

And for you, and all our Citizens, Friends, Sodales, Hac in Hieme valde valete!
8)
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 am

Well, I'll have a little more time off then planned; the state government is furloughing us for two days, with the lost pay to be deducted gradually between now and the end of this fiscal year. So I'll be of Dec 26 and Jan 2, and wince I already worked my team Saturday, that means two four-day weekends in a row!

What is a Chinese Hot Pot? My wife probably knows since she is Filipina and their food is similar in some ways.
And what does your 17 year old plan on studying?

As for festivities, we'll see my side of the family on Christmas Day. My mother was with us last year on Christmas Eve and so she will be at my sister's this year. With Jojo's folks living only four houses away, it is a safe bet we'll see them all on both days.

As for New Years Eve, no idea yet. My wife's birthday is the 30th, so we'll be going to a great Japanese restarant called Ginza. They cook your food at your table in front of you.

Maybe I can do a New Years Video Greeting for SVR people and post it on UTube

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:35 am

Io Saturnalia! I will be reading Greek and waiting to get accepted into a PhD program for next autumn.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 am

Io Saturnalia!

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:Non multum, meo in casu. In my case, not much. But I am damned glad to be off work for a few days.

Certus sum te dicere velle "mea in casa", nisi moriar!?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:21 am

Salve iterum, Marce Lupinii - Your holidays sound improved, with those extra days off from work.

Your wife's birthday is the 30th? So's my wife's! Dec. 30, and I took the day off for it! Give your wife our best wishes.

Speaking of YouTube - and this is ENTIRELY off topic - my son Sheridan's English project can be found there: he and his teen buddies made a short movie, which is actually enjoyable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GilXbmU5BF4.

Ut hos dies fruaris.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Salvete Omnes,

Seems like a lot of us here like Asian cuisine. It used to be somewhat of a tradition that on Christmas Day we would order take-away Chinese. Great food and no kitchen-stress whatsoever!

This year I'll be celebrating Christmas Eve with friends and Christmas Day will be spent with our family.

No plans so far concerning New Year's Eve. (I suddenly noticed how we call the last evening of the year "Old Year's Eve" over here. It actually makes a lot more sense too. Those whacky Americans with their strange names and funny metric system. :wink:)

Happy holidays everybody!

Valete bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:00 am

Salve, Quinte Valerii -

Great to hear that you're advancing towards your PhD. Which focus?

And, of course, hats off to you (or anyone) who's got their Greek language skills up and running. ::bows down::

As to my own barbarous Latin, what I was after was casus/casuus - 'fall', 'chance', 'that which happens'. I was trying to render 'case', 'situation'. Of course, you're also right that I WILL be spending quite a bit of my holidays hac in casa familiari.

Bene vale!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:21 am

Salve, Tiberii -

Asian cuisine is hard to beat - at least when nicely done!

For the last six or seven years we've had the family tradition of spending Christmas Eve out, at a dinner and then a movie. So we've eaten cuisine Chinese, Italian, Japanese and so on the last few Christmas Eves. Eheu! That's no longer affordable! Eating at home this year!

- Val.Claud.Ioh.

Tiberius Dionysius Draco wrote:Salvete Omnes -

Seems like a lot of us here like Asian cuisine. It used to be somewhat of a tradition that on Christmas Day we would order take-away Chinese. Great food and no kitchen-stress whatsoever!

This year I'll be celebrating Christmas Eve with friends and Christmas Day will be spent with our family.

No plans so far concerning New Year's Eve. (I suddenly noticed how we call the last evening of the year "Old Year's Eve" over here. It actually makes a lot more sense too. Those whacky Americans with their strange names and funny metric system. :wink:)

Happy holidays everybody!

Valete bene,
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:23 am

Salve, Iohannes. My focus is on ancient religion of the Mediterranean. Depending on the program I get accepted into, it'll either be Graeco-Roman cultus, early Christianity, or Hellenistic Judaism. Inevitably, which I choose I'll do all three. As for Greek, if only I could speak it as well as I could read it, then I'd still stumble and stutter on every other sentence. ;)

Oh, and situation, of course! I hoped you weren't speaking of your own death, which casus, -us can definitely refer to. But I use my own barbarism and simply say ut mihi.

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:Salve, Quinte Valerii -

Great to hear that you're advancing towards your PhD. Which focus?

And, of course, hats off to you (or anyone) who's got their Greek language skills up and running. ::bows down::

As to my own barbarous Latin, what I was after was casus/casuus - 'fall', 'chance', 'that which happens'. I was trying to render 'case', 'situation'. Of course, you're also right that I WILL be spending quite a bit of my holidays hac in casa familiari.

Bene vale!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Return to General