Roman Themed Games

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman Themed Games

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:08 am

Years ago, Marius and I both enjoyed Roman themed computer games like Rome: Pathway to Power and Centurian. Those were the days when the 386 was something grand!

I'm in the mood for some recreation and may go out tomorrow to buy a game called CivCity: Rome. It is part of the 'Civilization' series. Have any of you tried this game?

Also, have any here tried any Roman board games? I thought maybe if we ever have a face to face meet that could be one of the pastimes.

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

LUDI CYBERNETICI

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Salve, Lupinii Paule -

Ah, games - and BOARDgames. I'm the worst with them but still addicted - yea, from the days of "Strategy & Tactics" in the 60s-70s. The problems are always (a) time to find to play; (b) people who would even consider playing or might even at some level sort-of enjoy playing; (c) all the frustrations of losing, losing, losing. Well - I once won Risk. Sort of.

My Civ experience is mostly with old, old Civ2. I own Civ3 but never found it as engaging as the other. And then, not long ago, I bought Rome Total War - but I have yet to really get the hang of that, promising as it is.

But as to CivCity:Rome - I haven't seen this one yet. You'll have to tell me about it....

And I think you're right - if there's ever a SVR get-together, some board-strife might well be in order.

Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 pm

Salvete Paule et Iohane,

I don't have a lot of experience with Romen themed board games. Though now I do wonder why there never was a Roman Risk edition.

As far as games go, I'm only familiar with Caesar III and I loved that game. I haven't gotten round to playing Caesar IV yet, but I'm afraid I'd need to upgrade my computer to do so.

We should keep an eye open for any online games we could play. It would help get around the fact that we're kind off all over the place :) .

Valete bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Ok, here is my game update.

Best Buy was sold out of CivCity, so I bought Civ3 Complete Edition and have been playing a little with that. I miss the Civ2 interface big time.

Iohannes, since you are on the NR mainlist, you might check the file library and see if the Nova Roma Civ2 Scenario is still there. It is six years old, but you may be able to play it. Basically, it was the Roman Empire divided into factions, each faction headed by a prominent NR member at the time it was created. The Partian Empire is there as well as a Barbarian Union, both dedicvated to destroying Rome.

There is a newer game called Imperium Romanum, which according the the reviews you should avoid at all costs, Lousy game, and it crashes the computer. Another new game is Europa Universalis: Rome, which is also a dissapointment according the the reviews.

I have also seen a Civ-type game called Rise of Nations. Anyone else see this?

I'll keep looking for CivCity.

Paulus
Last edited by Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Roma e ludis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Salvete -

Lupinii, I too felt that the Civ3 interface was inferior to the low-visual-tech Civ2 interface; in my case, it's probably a case of being a bit slow where games are concerned. While Civ2 was not the perfect game, it was both user-friendly and allowed a lot of mods and so on. Of course, I'm prejudiced in its favor.

I'll look for that NR scenario! Sounds like fun. Heck, if anyone of us were retro enough, we could play by email on that one.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Old-Timer

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 am

Oh, I'm "retro" enough; I just don't wanna know it if NR picked me to head the Barbarians! >({|;-)

In a bumptious mood,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:13 am

I don't think Civ2 was playable by email. Civ3 is though, but I have no idea how to play it that way.

What version of civ3 do you have? I have Civ3 Complete Edition which includes Play the World and Conquests.

If people hare have civ3 complete, maybe I can put together an SVR scenario.
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Civ Romanum

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Salvete, Quirites -

I think you're right for Civ2 - there was a network/multiplayer setup, or the famous "hotseat" multiplayer (one machine, multiple rear ends), but not play-by-email.

And I do have the Civ3 "gold" or whatever it's called, wtih Play the World.

Hmmmm. Maybe we could make this work....
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Last night I was relaxing with the Civ3 Editor and downloaded a large world map. Aided by a detailed map of the empire under trajan, I started placing Roman cities on it, and an idea for two scenario games came to mind.

One is a standard Civ3 game where you adminsiter a large Roman Empire and engage in trade, diplomacy, and maybe launch a spaceship towards the end.

The second idea is an SVR scenario which would be a challenge. The goal of the SVR scenario is survival. But the working title of the scenario is "The New Aeneas". Here is the background:
The Roman Empire was in bad shape and decline. An energetic and inspiring leader named ______ secured support of the army and the populace and became emperor. As emperor, he brought stability and order, but soon became the worst tyrant the world had known.

A few cities revolted, and were ruthlessly destroyed. Refugees fleeing the burned cities are organized by Draco as the SVR, and they set sail to find a new homeland. The game opens with the SVR Romans having only ships. settler and worker units. The goal is to get these survivors to a new land where they can build a home and survive a world populated not only by the Roman Empire, but Maya, Chinese, Indians, and various other civilizations.

What do you think?

Paullus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I played a Roman themed boardgame called "Colosseum" a while back. The object of the game is to collect items (animals, boats, gladiators) in order to host games. The player who can host the most expensive games earns the most points. You can also build and upgrade arenas, and if a Caesar or consul pawn attends (these move around the board) your show, you get extra points. It's fun but it does have some problems.

As for computer games I used to be addicted to Caesar III. The trick is to find the optimal housing pattern which maximizes the access to water and minimizes the roads required to supply the houses with goods. This was my ideal layout, with F=fountain, P=prefecture, E=engineer and B=barber:

But it doesn't work in dry/desert climates because fountain access is more restricted there.
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

SVR Civ3 Game?

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:35 am

I have started playing with the MapEdit feature on Civ3 Complete Edition to create a possible SVR game. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, when I have played Civ3, it seems that the other computer controlled civs do not fight each other much.

The idea for this scenario if it works will be along the lines I suggested earlier: You the player are the leader of Roman Exiles who seek to secure a new home. The Roman Empire is still out to destroy you if they find you, so you will have to survive by making friends with other Civilizations.

This scenario bilder does not come with an instruction manual, so I am trying to learn this by doing...
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Roman Themed Games

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:54 am

Salvete -

Marce Lupinii - I tried to put your SVR Scenarion to work but we've been sabotaged by game-version differences. My Civ3 game only takes scenarios in .bic and .bix format, while yours is in the form of a .biq file. I tried re-naming, no go. Dang. :x

Shucks. Eheu.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:34 am

Where exactly did you put the file?
And are you sure you have Civilization III Complete, and not just the original Civilization III?

If you have have Civ3 Complete, then you must put the file in this location:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios

There is a second scenario folder; make sure you put it in the one under Conquests.

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:52 am

Rise of Nations is fun, but very short.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:34 am

Salve, M. Lupinii -

No, I have what is plainly a different version, then - CivIII+CivIII-Play the World - a cumulative package, but apparently not the complete version. 'Conquests' must be the final installment.

The path is different, too - c:\program files\INFROGAMES\(etcetera), instead of c:\...\Fireaxis\....

My game-expert son advises me the 'Complete' version is a $20 package these days, not too many denarii, so I'll try to snag one and we'll go from there.

Vale bene.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:33 am

Salve Tiberii,

I saw Rise Of Nations in an Office Depot store, and it looked like a Civ coo cat game, but when I looked it up I saw good comments about it. What nations are available besides Rome? And can you create scenarios with it?

Also, I read somewhere that a deal has been signed to begin development of Civ5.

Iohannes, maybe I should have created the SVR scenario with ust Civ3 alone so it would be plaable on any version. I did it with the Conquest builder because I wanted to have a Byzantine Empire in the game as well. Plus you can have some more South American civs.

Now, for a non-Roman theme: I found a program which allows me to play my Red Baron 3D on a faster machine. If you download the customized graphics and scenery it sometimes ooks almost photographic. RB3d is pretty much passe now, but I like it.

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 pm

Marcus Lupinius Paulus wrote:Salve Tiberii,

I saw Rise Of Nations in an Office Depot store, and it looked like a Civ coo cat game, but when I looked it up I saw good comments about it. What nations are available besides Rome? And can you create scenarios with it?

All major nations:

Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Russians, Aztecs, Incans, Spanish, Germans, British, Bantu, Nubians, French, hrm, I might be missing some. Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians are ancient only, Chinese spans quite some years, Japanese and Koreans are early to middle modern, Nubians are also ancient, Aztec and Incas are 15th-16th cent., Russians, Spanish, Germans, British, and French are medieval to modern. There are scenarios, and I think I recall being able to create scenarios as well (WWII Blitzkreig, etc.. etc...)

I recently tried playing Europa Universalis: Rome, but I'm having a hard to figuring out the war controls. I'm doing something wrong, and I don't think the tutorial was thorough enough...
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Also, if anyone wants to play Rise of Nations, my girlfriend and I are looking for some players, perhaps on the weekend sometime.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 am

Salve, Marce Lupinii,

CivIII-Complete nunc habeo! Will try out scenario as soon as possible.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I've got Civ IV(Beyond the Sword), I likes it a lot. I'm currently the leader of the Vikings, hehe. For Romans they've got a choice between Julius and Augustus Caesar. Thye also got the Holy Roman Empire, with Charlemagne as the leader, hehe.

I've also got Rome Total War, with the Barbarian Expansion. Haven't played it as much though.

If anyone wants to play a game with me, let me know. I'm quitting WoW(lack of fundage) so I'll have more time for these games. We should do Julius VS Augustus, haha!
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Next

Return to General