10,000 Posts!!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

10,000 Posts!!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:07 pm

Salvete,

Our forum hit the 2500 posting mark today. Woohoo!

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

2500 postings

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:41 am

HEIA!

EVOE!!

IO!!!

TRIUMPHE!!!!

(Now, about your 'Augusticlave'...) >({|;-)

Master of the Horse,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:19 pm

Hee hee, yes, I've been thinking about changing the rank system though so it'd be more accurate with the actual ranks in Roman legions.

Pax,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Angusticlavus.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:56 pm

Salve amice,

Na, actually I meant that your spelling is off: It's Angusticlavus, not Augusticlavius. (I think the latter Anglicizes to 'Augusticlave', which I believe to be a medical device necessary for the sterilization of early Roman Emperors.) >({|;-)

While we're on the subject, Tesserarius has five syllables, one of which is missing from your version, Tessarius.

I will preserve your dignitas by calling these spelling mistakes and not (*gasp!*) faulty Latin. (Horribile Dictu!)

I think the present rank system is fine the way it is. The full complexity of the ancient Legionary rank structure would not only be perplexing to the non-military types among us, but might also be discouraging in a way; id est, the more ranks you have, the slower the advancement. We want a regular-but-not-daily poster to be able to make Centurion before he retires...from his real-life job.

Quid censes, Censor?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:19 pm

I am not a censor anymore. But nice of you to think of me so highly 8).

Thanks for the corrections. The rank listing was devised of by Atticus and since he is a former latinist like me, I assumed it was correct. I'll make the changes henceforth.

Also, Tarq SHOULD make a new site update (finally, I may say) this week.

Vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:59 pm

Salvete

I think I missed something. Where is this ranking system explained?

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:54 pm

Which one do you mean? The real rankings were discussed at collegium militarium. The rankings in SVR were never really discussed... it's just so that after a certain amount of postings, a person's ranking changes, e.g. when passing the mark of 20, 50, 150 or 500.

Vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:39 am

Ahem, before implementing something like this might it not be nice to take it up with the rest of the Senate? And since you did implement it, might it not be nice of you to explain to the sodales why they suddenly find themselves in the ranks of our legions?

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:02 pm

Salve,

This ranking system was implemented together with the forum on Sep 1, 2002 and has always been this way (the only thing I did was to change the required numbers a little and add the special "Greek Hoplite" rank for hardcore hellenists). Did you really only notice it now?

Atticus implemented it, by the way, so he should be the one you seek to explain it, although I doubt that it should have been taken to the sodales or the Senate (nor the past, nor the present aediles ever received questions or complaints about it, btw). It's about as dangerous and real as our ludi circenses.

Cura ut valeas,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:21 am

Salve Gnai

Yes, I only just noticed it, and I think it ridiculous that Marius is listed only as a Optio. He deserves higher rank, I don't care how you work out your requirements.
Speaking of the dangers of the circus, I note too that the numbers you are using could be taken as thousands of sesterses. You could use such as the basis of token wealth in SVR, using them in a census to categorize sodales into classes. With such virtual wealth you could conceivably initiate yet another dimension to our virtual world. For one thing it would allow us to bet on those races. Some other things come to mind to either gain or lose your virtual wealth, too. "Monetary" prizes in the races pro exempli.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Them Ranks

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:17 am

Salve, mi Horati...

Allow me to step in and (hopefully) explain a few things. These bulletin-boards are usually set up so that people gain 'ranks' as they post more messages. This is not a feature of the SVR. It is a feature of the board, just like profiles...usergroups...and private messaging.

I'm thinkin' when Atticus set up and configured the Board, he got asked what he wanted his user rankings to be called, and how many messages a body had to post to reach each rank. We being a Roman-type organization, he went with Roman ranks--and nowhere in Roman society is a rank-structure more clearly defined than in the military. So we're all in the Legions. We could just as easily have had ranks like the ones on Ancient Sites, which ranged from Visitor thru Citizen and Senator to Demigod. If this were a geology Board we could have Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous participants. Whatever the terms used, they're just names.

I'm perfectly OK with being an Optio, Pisce. It reflects my number of posts, nothing more. It certainly is no poor reflection on my Romanitas or my usefulness to the Society. I actually spiked a beanbag animal and yelled 'OO-Rah!!!' when I got 'promoted'; it's been rather fun watching everybody rise, with Draco amice so far in the forefront that he reveals the rank structure as he goes along. I've got a long haul to make Centurion, which means I'm going to make a Joyful Noise when I get there that will probably bring the police down upon my head. You'll both write me in jail, nonne...? >({|;-)

Thank you, Atticus and maybe Draco, for adding this fun and harmless dimension to my Forum experience. It certainly does less damage than the spina in the hippodrome...

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Them Ranks

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:31 pm

Salve mi amice

Marius Peregrine wrote: I've got a long haul to make Centurion, which means I'm going to make a Joyful Noise when I get there that will probably bring the police down upon my head. You'll both write me in jail, nonne...? >({|;-)

Write to you? In a Texassian gaol? I have a cohort of scoundrals on the Lampasas, and we more mutual associates down in San Antonio. We'll break you out and barbecue some goat-roper steers across the Brazos, Centurian.

Meanwhile, this signifer is uncomfortable donning a wolfie skin when he has not savored its meat.

In amicitia, vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:50 pm

Salve Mari!

lol ;). The Belgian Contingent (as the late Florus once called Lupus, Atticus, Locatus, Mus and I) would come and rescue you manu militari in a war chariot.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:45 pm

We surely would! And that would give me the chance to finally taste some of those cream-soda's you like so much. I still wonder what the taste is like.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Itchy Wolf-skins

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:25 pm

Salvete amici...

It does my heart much good to discover that I have so many friends who would be ready to rescue me at the drop of a Pilum-peg. (Just make sure it's not a Flaming Supersonic Pilum, as the peg on that one is the actuating device.) Thank you all, muchly. >({|:-)

And, care Pisci...

> ...this signifer is uncomfortable donning a wolfie skin
> when he has not savored its meat.

If the wolf's hide troubles you, bear- and lion-skins are also authorised with that uniform. I've even heard tell of leopard-skins in Egypt, though if any Standard-bearer there were to insist on wearing it post-transfer-to-someplace-Roman I would consider him to be quite tasteless indeed, and thus unsuitable for your purposes.

My recommendation? --Go with the bear; the hide is impressive and the meat delicious.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:51 pm

Salve care Mari

Ita. Bear I have eaten before, and thus I might share in his genius, and far better to wear his pelt than some hippo's, as I have also eaten before. And as consul, you will not have to wait long as an optio.

Deus tecum
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:16 pm

Salvete omnes,

**Among the crowd of people promising support for Marius should he fall afoul of the authorities, a young man of Britannia catches Marius' eye. He raises his staff briefly, but is gone before Marius can greet him.**

I'm back from Edinburgh, and have a day of rest before my next absentia, so I thought I should catch up. It might not even be an absentia, since I don't know if I'll have access to a computer or not, because I might be able to return home in the evenings.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:57 pm

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:I'm back from Edinburgh, and have a day of rest before my next absentia, so I thought I should catch up. It might not even be an absentia, since I don't know if I'll have access to a computer or not, because I might be able to return home in the evenings.

You speak in great riddles my friend. Surely the Picts have done something to enfeeble your mind!

I presume it was a slip there and you meant "in absentia" (absentia = absence). Unless you are deranged of course, and have become convinced that you ARE a form of "absence" (which would cause some serious ontological problems but that's another topic entirely ;)).

Vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Ontological difficulties

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:23 pm

Err...

...if I can be a Presence (and everyone tells me I am), why couldn't Curio be an Absence if he so wishes it?

In a mental knot,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:02 pm

Perhaps he meant absinth?

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis