A brave new start

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

A brave new start

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:48 pm

Salvete,

I'm glad to see that all of you have made it to the fora, so I suggest we get the Collegium Artium on the road as well.

I'll be reposting the links that have been sent already somewhere within the next few hours and I think it would be a good idea to begin with a new project as well.

So, are there any proposals for projects, does anyone want to know more about something in particular, is someone volunteering for a (small) essay,...let it all out!

Valete bene!
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:58 pm

Atticus, the Greek knave, may do very well to actually *finish* the Dacia story.... ATTICE?

Scorpio :D always prepared to help a Rector in need!
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Part One of a Wolf Story

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:58 pm

Salvete,

Once upon a time there was a 'Net.community called AncientSites. It was Awesome with a capital 'A', having over a thousand Boards in the Rome section alone...and you could also go to Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, or even pre-Columbian America. There were online fora on any topic you can imagine, ranging from serious collaborative research to wargaming and roleplay. I found such an atmosphere nothing short of inspiring.

This selection was originally posted to one of the more offbeat Boards. Called "Wolves of AS" [= AncientSites], it hosted a complete treatment of the Wolf in ancient times. As many of you know, I'm a bit of a Wolf-spirit myself...one reason I'm not seen often, as I must be free to do my Wanderings. It was the beginning of a lupine RP thread..and, yes, a great deal of it is autobiographical. I'd share the rest, but the site was dismantled a couple of years ago and this is the only segment that made it into the Archives. (I've got them looking for the rest.)

Anyway, enjoy--and maybe we can make something with it...? (Anybody want to be a Wolf?) >({(:-)

Author: Scarred Veteran - Marius Ulpius
Date: Apr 13, 2000 00:56

A grizzled black wolf pauses at the edge of the Pack's meeting-place. He is an older male, heavy-boned and thick-furred, though past his prime; yet even the remnants of his strength evoke the powerful, self-assured creature he once was, and his gaze holds a kind of sad wisdom. His carriage and demeanor bespeak a social animal forced to endure much, alone, for far too long. He seems capable enough for the life of a loner, yes; but he has also grown heartily sick of it...

He watches the others, and does not fool himself into thinking he has escaped detection; though unseen, he must surely have been scented. Undecided, torn between the need for belonging and his accustomed solitude, and certain he would not fare well if it came down to a fight, he hesitates; a low whine escapes into the thin winter air.

At last he gathers his courage and ventures into the clearing. His body language is an odd mix of assurance and awkwardness, as if much of his repertoire had gone rusty with disuse; he approaches with ears pricked, but head and tail low, and eyes forward while avoiding direct contact. Slowly he comes as far as he dares, attempting to be respectful without cringing, and well-aware that after so many years on his own he scarce knows how to behave in a group setting...

It is his hope that the others will forgive him any lapses of ettiquette. Will he find acceptance here? --He does not know; he only knows that he must try, that it is high time he came in from the cold...

=====
Marius Peregrine: Wanderer, Storyteller and Citizen of Rome
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?
- I did.
And what did you want?
- To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.
-- Raymond Carver, "Late Fragment"
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

An answering call...

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:31 pm

Salve mi Mari!

I always found Ancient Sites very daunting for new users... And so, like all daunting projects, it became a forgotten part of the "favourites" tab, at least for me... :?

As to your wolf comments; I have never been as lupine as you. However, I do have a certain affinity with the wolf - in fact, the nickname of the main character in my book is "The Wolf". There follows an extract from half-way through the book, when the reader first encounters this nickname.

Kalan smiled sadly at me, and said,
"Do you know what we call Distrax in my land? What we call the man who saved his nation? What we call one of the few men to defeat us in open battle? What we call the man to face 6,000 of us with only 1,000 Aenglish and get his men out alive? We call him the Wolf."

So I suppose, in RP terms, rather than be a lycanthrope, I would be a druid with an affinity with wolves. :)

As to your comments, Lupus, I would suggest that, as well as completing the Dacian story, that we set up either a new board or a new thread. The purpose of this would be for Roman RP, such as that once found in Tyran. This would allow for the poetic RP that also went on for a short while on the Yahoo Britannia list. Does anyone else like the sound of this?

Bene valete amici,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

RP Thread

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:24 pm

Avete, artistici!

An RP thread/area/board?? --I like that suggestion very much, mi Curio. That being the case, I would like to pose some questions here that were not answered by the SVRers in another venue...

-- Who can start a new *section*...not just a thread, but a whole 'nother
area like the General, Collegium and Comitia divisions? I do not think
RP requires a separate Board (the entire Forum constitutes one Board,
nonne?); just our own space within the Board we've got. Artium's a
great place for story submissions, but RP is something else again.

-- If we were going to start one on this Board, would we have to form an
official Collegium or Gamer's Guild within the Societas first?

All for it is...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: RP Thread

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:58 am

Salve mi Mari!

Marius Peregrine wrote:Avete, artistici!

-- Who can start a new *section*...not just a thread, but a whole 'nother
area like the General, Collegium and Comitia divisions? I do not think
RP requires a separate Board (the entire Forum constitutes one Board,
nonne?); just our own space within the Board we've got. Artium's a
great place for story submissions, but RP is something else again.

-- If we were going to start one on this Board, would we have to form an
official Collegium or Gamer's Guild within the Societas first?

All for it is...

A new section can be begun by any three members forming a collegium and submitting it to the Senate. No need for that. The way this list works you could start a RPG on any list as a string. I'd suggest you'd begin one with "RP" in the title. You could end up with a few, a different RP for the different lists as appropriate. Hmm, an RP on Col Rel? Life of a Vestal? We came close to an RP at Col Phil, and that was fun. I see no reason why not to try it on other lists as well.

Oh, sorry I missed it. Happy B'day, mi amice

Vale optime
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:08 pm

Ah yes, Lupine affinity.... :lol:

I remember a little piece of Virgil we read last year about a popular belief concerning wolves in the wild. There was a small reference to it in Ecloga Nona :

"vox quoque Moerim iam fugit ipsa: lupi Moerim videre priores"

"The voice itself escaped even Moeris: the wolves had seen Moeris first"

What was believed in this legend was that when a wolf saw you before you had seen the wolf, you would lose your voice, an rather original belief, I always wondered how something like this was found out...

Valete Bene!
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

RP

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:29 pm

Salve Mari aliique,

I have created a new so called "user group" called "RP" with Marius as its moderator, so that you have a clear overview of who's in.

Vale,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

New User Group

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:33 am

Avete, especially to Attice!!, who said:

: Salve Mari aliique,
:
: I have created a new so called "user group" called "RP" with Marius as
: its moderator, so that you have a clear overview of who's in.

Thankee!!!! Can't wait to start playing with it!! >({|:-D

Over/Out,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum