Gamble!

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Gamble!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:40 pm

Salvete!

Starting September 10 (a bit later than the historical Ludi Romani) are the Ludi Romani in SVR!!

Of course, the aediles are always accepting new contestants :). There are 14 racers waiting to test their metal against each other. Accepting of new racers ends on September 6.

New feature: from now on, it will also be possible to bet (this had been suggested a couple of times by Piscinus noster). You can bet on one racer or an entire factio.

How will this system work? (There will also be a seperate page made for this stuff).

- Each sodalis of SVR has 500 denarii.
- Aediles will be barred from betting.
- You can bet on as many charioteers as you want.
- If the racer(s) of your choice don't survive the first rounds up until the semis, you don't gain anything and lose your money.
- If the racer(s) of your choice reach the finals, half of the total money bet goes to the winning gambler (if there is more than one winning individual the money is split equally). A quarter of the money goes to the people who placed their bet on the second racer. Twenty percent (rounded down) goes to the people who bet on the third racer. What's left is divided among those who placed their bet on the fourth racer.

Optime valete,
Draco
Last edited by Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:12 pm

Salve

Adding some gamblin' are we? I think it is a good idea, adding some more exitement to the ludi.

Heeding bankrupcy, I salute you all, untill we meet at the circus, amici !
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:02 pm

Salvete!

You can now gamble at will.

Go here and seal your fate.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:11 pm

The page has been updated. Four people have placed bets so far. Not bad, for a start ;).

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:52 am

Today is the last day you can place your bets, don't forget!

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:37 pm

I've altered the rules somewhat. You can now only gamble on a maximum of 4 charioteers at once, and for a minimum amount of 25 denarii (as such, mi Curio, I only left over your largest bets :-P). Curio pointed out the inconsistencies in my system through his somewhat adventurous bet :roll:.

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:25 pm

Salve Draco,

What? I'm to lose all my bets apart from the ones on Factio Veneta, AFTER Factio Veneta have been crushed? Interesting logic... So I'm being penalised for my excellent grasp of economics... :shock:

Hehe, I thought it was too good to be true. 8)

This is just because I'm an evil revolutionary and was bound to point out how strange it was that the guy who does the races had his chariot win AGAIN! :P

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:00 pm

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:What? I'm to lose all my bets apart from the ones on Factio Veneta, AFTER Factio Veneta have been crushed? Interesting logic... So I'm being penalised for my excellent grasp of economics... :shock:

Hehe, I thought it was too good to be true. 8)

So did I 8). But you didn't lose much, after all. Only 50 denarii.

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:This is just because I'm an evil revolutionary

Don't flatter yourself :lol:

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:... and was bound to point out how strange it was that the guy who does the races had his chariot win AGAIN! :P

Well actually the procedure goes as follows: I make a list of all charioteers and their data, and have either Tarquinius or Tiberius compose a random list of the numbers one to fourteen to arrange the groups. Then, they cast the die 26 times. All the while, they cannot see my screen so whatever happens, happens fairly.

Besides, Curio, don't blame me for your bad tactics 8). Every man is responsible for his own defeat :twisted:

Optime vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:05 pm

Salvete,

So how is everyone's wealth after these bets?

1. Tiberius Dionysius Draco (805 denarii) (gained 455 denarii)
2. Publius Dionysius Mus (505 denarii) (gained 255 denarii)
3. Marcus Scribonius Curio (450 denarii) (gained nothing)
4. Primus Aurelius Tergestus (400 denarii) (gained nothing)
5. Marcus Moravius Horatius Piscinus (335 denarii) (gained 310 denarii)

Not that bad, so it seems. Piscinus betted almost all his money but gained most it back. Tiberius had the lucky bet: he bet on both the winner and the 3rd racer.

Valete!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:46 pm

About evil revolutionaries, Draco: You're right, I'm far too nice and moral to be an evil revolutionary. I remain, however, a revolutionary, so there. :P

Meh. Has anyone else noticed the fact that both the people who determine the winners are Dionysii? And also the fact that both the people who have the most money are Dionysii? Despite the fact that it fell to a humble Scribonius to point out the problems with the system... For shame, you evil dictators of the Dionysian Empire!

8)

Curio Suspiciosus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:01 pm

Salvete Romani,

excellent! I think the prize money shall be used to upgrade my chariot so that it can resist the fierce blows delivered to me by my brothers charioteer Damnator. Victory shall be mine at the next Ludi!

That is why I advise everybody to bet on Factio Russata at the next Ludi! :)

Valete bene!
Last edited by Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:02 am

Tiberius Dionysius Draco wrote:That is why I advise everybody to vote for Factio Russata at the next Ludi! :)

I think you mean "bet" 8).

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Ludi Societatis