Where are you people from?

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Where are you people from?

Postby Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:09 pm

Simple question, where are you people from?

I notice many are from Belgium, and I have a question, was the land now part of Belgium once part of the Roman Empire?
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:27 pm

Salve Ultor,

Why yes. It was Iulius Caesar who called the Belgae the strongest of all Gauls! Any Belgian is proud of this quote, although the ancient Belgians were Celto-Germanic tribes that have long left these areas or were assimilated by the Romans and later the Franks :).

Present-day Belgium was totally encompassed into the Roman Empire from Caesar's conquest until the early 5th century I think. However not all of the territory was called Belgica. What was then Belgica was originally the area between the Seine (Sequana) and the Rhine (Rhenus) but after Varus' defeat in 9 CE Belgica constituted the area between the Seine and the Scheldt (Scaldis). The areas east of the Scheldt and between the Rhine were henceforth known as Germania Inferior. Under the rule of Augustus, I would have lived in Germania Inferior while Marcus Pomponius would have lived in Gallia Belgica, although we only live 8 kilometres a part!

Optime vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:40 pm

Indeed....

*Mencius cheers and bellows as he sees this topic*

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt!

Valete amici
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:53 am

Salve Luci Flave

Hey I recognize that avatar. have you had a name change lately?

Where do I come from? Usually left field. That is, when I use to be able to run onto the pitch. Now I do well any day if I can walk. My family is from the Sangro Valley, the ancient city Teate, and from the town of Ferentium in Latium. I however currently reside in Akron, Ohio, USA. I have spent some years living in other parts of the US, in the mountains of southern Arizona and Lampassus county, in central Texas, but mostly in northeast Ohio around Cleveland.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:27 pm

Salve Moravi!

My avatar is by an artist called Franco Ferranza I think but I am not sure regarding the name. Yes I changed the name. I first registered as Mars Ultor, then I changed it to Lucius Claudius Flavus and finally (I don't think I will change it much in the future if I change it at all) to Lucius Aurelius Flavus.

So a real Roman is here, good. Though I cannot speak Latin, I know Italian well, if you want to have some dialog in Italian. My IM contact details are in my profile, I mostly use MSN.

Vale bene!
Lucius Aurelius Flavus.
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:04 pm

Salvete
For those who are around Venice end october or live there, i will be visiting the city somewhere during the third week of october. I'm telling you this, because i wanted to know if someone know any good places to visit. I'm not sure where exactly i will be, but i do know that we are (me and allot of other students plus teachers) in a youth hostel. More details will follow when i have them. A meeting perhaps is not out of the question.
valete optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:33 am

Salve Luci Flave

Lucius Aurelius Flavus wrote:So a real Roman is here, good. Though I cannot speak Latin, I know Italian well, if you want to have some dialog in Italian. My IM contact details are in my profile, I mostly use MSN.

Yes, I was always told that I was a Roman rather than an Italian, at least by my father. Nonna however always referred to me by some derogatory remark as a half-breed, being that I was half Abruzzese. [Crazy old woman would sic her dog on me anytime I came by.] And Italian, what I speak would not be considered Italian. My grandparents spoke a dialect of Abruzzese that no longer exists. [My Roman grandfather usually spoke to me in Polish. He knew several languages and for some odd reason he chose to use Polish with me.] On top of the Abruzzese there are various phrases from other nineteenth century Italian dialects thrown in, the consequence of what were called Little Italy neighborhoods in the eastern cities of the US. Modern Italian I can read, to some extend, but I cannot speak or write in Italian, and my Latin is not much better.

Ciao bello
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Introduction place?

Postby Anonymous on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:15 pm

Salvete omnesque,

I have just joined you. I live in the "Pomus Magnus", have grown up here in the Brooklyn part, but I was born Marie Antonia, in Scano di Montiferro, province of Nuoro, in Sardegna, Italy. I was an infant when I left, to come to America to live with the parents who adopted me. I know very little about my blood family, if I have any left, but thanks to a letter from the American adoption agency, I have information should I ever want to use it.

I am married 19 years, have two sons, our residence looks out over the East River here. We were recently in Italy, visiting Florence and Pisa, Rome (the Imperial Forum area is breathtaking), and Naples, Amalfi and Pompeii.

I have no academic credentials in ancient history or classics, though I do have an undergraduate History degree. But I have always read as much as I can on ancient Rome's history, political life, law and religion, the same for the Etruscan civilization, and I love writing about those both. I also have been doing lots of research and study and writing on Roman Egypt and the Near East. So I hope to be able to make some contributions worthy of your interest here.

Any questions or comments, feel free to write!!

Valete bene,
Gaia Antonia Aurora
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:39 am

Salva sis Gaia

Bona hbe anima. Welcome! You are most welcome among us, and I hope you find us a nice community for you to enjoy, too.

Our most active members here have a similar background as you describe for yourself. We are either undergrad students or have undergrad degrees. Some of our visitors are grad students in the Classics and some of our older members have higher degrees, but not in Classics. We are a community of enthusiasts who enjoy reading and discussing ancient cultures, especially Rome, and who try to have some fun along the way too. Personally for me writing is a way for me to put together thoughts from the many things I read. Answering questions gives me a way to focus some of my reading. Writing posts here is thus a way for me to learn more on a topic that greatly interests me. I hope you find the same to be true for you and I will look forward to seeing what you may write. One of my degrees, like you, is a BA in History, from U. of Akron, without any formal education in Classics. I have just been reading a long time and remember well. And two sons? I still have two sons at home (sort of, its hard to tell from day to day) Recently I acquired Hoyland's "Arabia and the Arabs: From the Bronze Age to the Coming of Islam" to learn more of that region in my period of interest. So I will be particularly curious to read what you may have to offer on that subject.

Di deaeque te semper ament. Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:22 pm

Welcome Gaia!

We are mainly enthusiasts, and not so much 'professors'. Well, except Piscinus maybe :wink: :) .

Locatus Barbatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Who Marius Is.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:30 pm

Ave, amica nova! Ex papilionem Mari Peregrini salutem plurimum dico:

[that's Latin for 'Out of my pup tent I say thee "Hey!" ']

I would have to file myself under the 'Fun-loving Roman Enthusiast' classification, although I've got enough of it in my Heritage that it talks to me sometimes. I am not formally educated in the Classics, and my Latin is 'street' at best; my time has been spent in the military (US Air Force, drill sergeant/aircraft mechanic, retired), I've always been a history nut, and when the two interests came together about 12 years ago, I found I saw an awful lot of myself in Ancient Rome, especially the Legions.

What college I've had was focussed mainly on turning me into a Historical Cultural Anthropologist, and it is from this angle--that of the everyday Roman, and the everyday Roman soldier--that I approach my readings, drawings, stories, roleplaying games, Renfaire visits, Trick-or-treating, and everything else I've ever marked with my Roman stamp...most definitely including my activities in the Societas.

I'm also the resident Madman...but I'm not dangerous, I promise; just very playful and easily-confused. Ask Pisci or Draco or anyone who's known me for a while. If they were in the OP with me, they can even tell you how I got that way...[mischievous grin] >({|;-)

Gratias ago (Thank you) for the intro, and welcome once again to our little Roman Entity.

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:45 pm

Salve Gaia!

A (belated) welcome! You'll get to know me as the resident Latin Inquisition and cruel tyrant of the Dionysian Empire ;).

Optime vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:26 am

Salve and welcome Gaia!

A rather belated welcome from me too. It's great to see another "Roman" from Brooklyn, or New York for that matter. :) I hope you enjoy your stay and post as much as you can (oh, look who's talking). From your info I can say we share common Roman interests. If you have good information/resources on the Etruscans, please share. They're a tricky bunch to research. :)

Hope to see you around.

Hiera Iulia Minervina

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote: You'll get to know me as the resident Latin Inquisition and cruel tyrant of the Dionysian Empire ;).

Optime vale!
Draco

Well, Draco, first the avatar domination and now this tyranny. Next thing we know we'll be bowing before you shouting "ave!" (I hear you snickering over there) :D
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:51 pm

Hey I forgot to tell where I'm originally from! (although some of you already know I'll put it in here under the related topic as well) I was born and raised in Istanbul, which was once Constantinopolis and even earlier on, Byzantium. I should be considered fully Roman :) since Constantinopolis was the capital for a long time (since the so called Byzantine Empire, never actually called itself Byzantine)

My family originates from outside of present day Turkey though. My mother's side of the family are originally from what was then Yugoslavia and what is now Croatia to Bosnia-Herzegovina. Some place around the Adriatic, don't know what it's called but I had been there as a child, once. My father's side of the family is from the Caucasus, which the Greeks called the town of Colchis, and it was a colony in Greek times. It's now in South-West Russia & Abkhazia. I'm not sure about the Southwestern Russia, but all of the Balkans and Yugoslavia was a part of Roman Empire under the name of, Illyrium, wasn't it? (and if it wasn't called that, I'm sure Draco is coming to get me! :o )

And right now, I'm in the "Pomus Magnus" myself. What a journey. :)
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:20 pm

Salve Minervina,

You shouldn't be afraid. Certainly since my internet access is a bit limited these days, I can't haunt you all the time (when I get back in full force, however...).

As far as I can tell Illyrium may be right, but I also read sources saying Illyricum. But I need to check up on that :p.

Vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:15 am

This is my first (and will probably be my only) Latin inquisition post.

Minervina, shouldn't that be pomum magnum? Pomum means apple while pomus means fruit tree. Also, pomus is feminine, so if you wanted to express that you live in a big fruit tree (and this is probably a better description of New York City) you would write pomus magna!
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Anonymous on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:36 am

Primus Aurelius Tergestus wrote:This is my first (and will probably be my only) Latin inquisition post.

Minervina, shouldn't that be pomum magnum? Pomum means apple while pomus means fruit tree. Also, pomus is feminine, so if you wanted to express that you live in a big fruit tree (and this is probably a better description of New York City) you would write pomus magna!

Oh I don't know Tergestus, I copied the whole expression from Gaia Antonia Aurora's post! :) But thank you for the correction, if you say so, it probably is a better guess than mine. My knowledge of Latin is very limited indeed.

On second thougt I do like the idea of living on a big fruit tree, rather neat don't you think? :D

Minervina -who lives on a fruit tree in the big apple. (and is most probably a squirrel in that sense)
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:36 pm

Primus Aurelius Tergestus wrote:This is my first (and will probably be my only) Latin inquisition post.

Excellent, my apprentice! :twisted:

Good catch, I would not have noticed it. Euge! ;)

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions