Swine

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Swine

Postby Anonymous on Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:03 pm

Could anyone direct me to a schoolboy text called the Last Testament of a Pig?

I am tentatively planning to study Latin again as a refresher in September, but that is a bit far in the future. I thought I might glance over this piece with Wheelock's by my side and begin in my free time.

Also, this is of some interest to me, as I originally learned the Ecclesiastical pronunciation, how many follow that or the classical? Is there an online site that traces changes in Latin pronunciation?

Also, do disagreements over pronunciation in SVR involve small arms fire?
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:33 pm

I learned the classical pronunciation. I've found that almost all of the online resources that are spoken (e.g. Radio Finland's "Nuntii Latini") use the classical as well. I hope, and think, that you'll find the transition easy.

Small arms are for Classical Greek diagreements. We use catapults! (The first crew-served weapons).

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:17 pm

Salvete,

There is an essay written by me on the collegium Latinum pages about Latin pronunciation. Most Belgae here who've had Latin have been taught in classical Latin. As such, this is my preferred pronunciation variant. I think it differs from country to country. In Italy, for example, I've heard they teach the ecclesiastical pronunciation.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:51 pm

I am familiar with the classical form of pronunciation already, but having been taught ecclesiastical pronunciation, I am somewhat inclined to keep that if possible.

As I think back to High School, my instructor in second year was a Belgae also. Father DelVaux was ashort and somewhat stocky, with a wonderful sense of humour. I can still hear him shouting "Ubi O ubi est meum sub ubi?"

I am somehwat looking forward to classes, as there is a possibility my son will join me in them. I've also been looking at the possibility to some further work in Classics after I finish my upcoming Film Studies degree.

I recall some mention of boring texts. For my masters, I did some work with Juan Latino's Austriad. It's not that it is boring exactly, but it certainly was as nasty a bit of work to translate as I have ever seen. After all the Greek Accusatives, I was left with a very sore bum.
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Linguarum