Best Roman movies

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Quintus Marius Primus on Wed May 12, 2004 5:02 pm

There is one film you've all missed that cimply cannot be beaten, and that's Monty Python and the Life of Brian...! Ok, so it's probably not too hot on historical accuracy, but it is a genius film nonetheless! The latin grammar sketch particularly always gets me going...

Valete
Quintus Marius Primus
Eques
Eques

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Mon May 17, 2004 8:16 pm

Quintus Marius Primus wrote:There is one film you've all missed that cimply cannot be beaten, and that's Monty Python and the Life of Brian...! Ok, so it's probably not too hot on historical accuracy, but it is a genius film nonetheless! The latin grammar sketch particularly always gets me going...

Valete

I love that part! Probably the best scene in the movie. Life of Brian is much funnier in light of Gibson's recent Passion of the Christ btw. Proves you can get the message across without resorting to extreme violence :)
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Life of Brian

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 18, 2004 2:07 am

Life of Brian:

I have the screenplay and have been rehearsing the "Pointed Latin Lesson" for weeks... Someday I have just got to do that to someone when I'm in full kit! [feg]

(Nobody falls asleep in my class...)

[feg] = Fiendish Evil Grin
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat May 22, 2004 8:01 pm

Salvete sodales

I must say i was surprise to see this. Appearently they are filming a project called Gilgamesh. It is said to be inspired by the epic, so if we look at Troy, we can expect a few things already. Gilgamesh is played by Max Ryan. Other beter known names are Robert Davi, Billy Zane, Omar Sharif, Peter o' Toole and Costas Mandylor.
Here's what you can find on the plot at IMDB:
Gilgamesh is an original screenplay inspired by a 5000 year-old Mesopotamian epic etched on clay tablets. Gilgamesh is a poetic legend, meant more for adults than kids, about several themes: the joy of friendship, platonic love between man and man, the ecstasy of sex and love; the grief of loss and death; sensual/flea-ridden love between man and woman; an odyssey in search of the meaning of Life; and man's first quest for Immortality. Moreover, in a fascinating story within a story, it's the first account of The Flood, more than 1000 years before strikingly similar Flood in both the Bible and later in the Quran. (Which Flood discovery by British archeologist George Smith in late 1800 prompted him to hop around naked in exhilaration at the British Museum!) Long ago, in a time of magic, there lived in Mesopotamia a very handsome, young king named Gilgamesh who ruled over Uruk- a magnificent city surrounded with Wide Walls by the river Euphrates. His father's dying words to young Gilgamesh were... Gilgamesh is a poetic legend in a time of magic, taking place more than two thousand years before Judeo-Christian monotheist Puritanism. The epoch precedes and parallels the era of another advanced civilization: Ancient Egypt. The Gilgamesh screenplay contains some innocent flea-ridden scenes celebrating the joy of sex and love, which comprises less than 10% of screen time. Gilgamesh's central premise is love- both platonic love between man and man, and sensual love between man and woman. It is about love and loss. Gilgamesh mediates on Life, Death and Afterlife: It is man's first recorded quest for Immortality!

Summary written by Jay Jonroy

One of the world's oldest legends comes to life. The hated King Gilgamesh strikes at the Gods as he tries to maintain power and as he seeks the answers to happiness and immortality. All his struggles are in vain, for what he seeks is closer to him than he ever realized.

Summary written by Riven Winner

I can't find anything else on this project, but if it does come out, my fingers will be crossed to see what they did with it.
Also if Troy proves to be a huge succes in the states, Hollywood might do more movies like that, like Gilgamesh and Gates of Fire, the novel on the Graeco- Persian wars and the battle of Thermopylae.
valete optime

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Wed May 26, 2004 1:40 pm

There seems to be a revival of Sword-and-sandal epics in Hollywood lately. First Gladiator, now Troy, and a bunch of Alexander projects coming up. You won't believe this, but as it stands, there are 4 Alexander the Great films in the works right now. I did some research on IMDB so I'll just post the links to this:

Alexander (Oliver Stone's take on the Macedonian. According to the IMDB it's already in post-production. This one looks most promising)

Untitled Alexander the Great Project (the Baz Luhrman version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman. Set for 2005 and Stone's main competitor)

Alexander the Great from Macedonia (looks cheesy and low-budget)

Alexander the Great (suspicious looking B-movie. Almost no details on the official site. Looks like a fraud to me)
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Wed May 26, 2004 7:27 pm

Oh, and let's not forget there's an epic on Hannibal on its way starring Vin Diesel (that's right VIN DIESEL) as the Carthaginian general.
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed May 26, 2004 7:29 pm

Vin Diesel as Hannibal? My bet is they will not portray Hannibal as a cunning tactician then... unless we'll see a different side of Vin Diesel.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum