Age of Bronze: The Story of the Trojan War

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Age of Bronze: The Story of the Trojan War

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu May 27, 2004 5:41 pm

Salvete Romani,

today, I discovered that apart from a movie about the Trojan War, there is also a comic book that has been made about it. It's called "Age of Bronze: The Story of the Trojan War".

If anybody has read or hear about one of these comics, feel free tell what you think about them or share some of the comments you might have heard.

For those that are just curious, here's the official site: Age of Bronze

Valete!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu May 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Salve

At a guess, I'd say that our storyteller of the house, Marius Peregrinus, might have some comments, because he's a 'ancients' comic fanatic....

I just went to the Bronze Age page, it looks good, I think...

Vale bene
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu May 27, 2004 10:47 pm

This is not the first Trojan War comic book. I remember reading one called, I think, The Illiad, about 30 years ago. It followed the original epic poem quite closely, to the extent possible given the limitations of the form (by the way it was in drug-store comic book format rather than the more recent graphic novel formats that have been out fairly recently). I remember that the text at the death of Hector included a footnote explaining that the Illiad ended there but that rest of the story presented in the comic - the Trojan horse, etc. - was known from "other sources".

I think that the comic was intended to be didactic and to interest young readers in the orginal. It sure worked with me. I'd love to find an old copy some time at a garage sale or at eBay. Might be worth something now...

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum