patricius/plebeius

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

patricius/plebeius

Postby ariadne sergia fausta on Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:33 pm

Is becoming a patrician on SVR a sign of merit eg. by posting lots of messages on the message board, or a privilege for founding fathers? Not that is it a matter of capital importance, but is there a distinction between patrician and plebeian gentes?
ariadne sergia fausta
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:54 pm

Salve Ariadne,

I am certain that there are others who can explain better than me, but, what the heck, I'll try nonetheless.

Yes, the rank of patrician is a sign of merit for the Societas, be it by posting or otherwise. But only a select number of candidates are put forward by the Senate each year, so that might explain why, most of all, the founding fathers were granted the title. After all, they did a good job, nonne?

But there are others to follow in their footsteps...

iubeo aliquem valere
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:16 pm

Salve Ariadne,

Yes, patrician is a rank based on merit. Each year the censores put forward nominees for this position, and the Senate votes on them. The amount of patrician candidates, each year, may not exceed 5% of our total membership, which explains why the group is limited. It does not hold any true powers, however, just prestige.

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:48 pm

As our regula says (some more mebers should read it someday :wink: ):

Members of the Orders are fundamentally equal except for prestige and as provided below. No member may be simultaneously attributed to more than one Order. The Orders into which all members shall fall are:

(a) The Ordo Patricius (Patrician Order). Those members who have proven their exceptional merit and commitment to the Societas Via Romana and its work may be elevated to the Patrician Order by collegial decision of the Censores. No more than five individuals or five percent of the total number of Plebeian members may be so elevated in any calendar year, whichever is the larger number.

Voila, that should answer this question :lol:

Vale!

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

...Nahhh, can't be.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:19 pm

And the Senate and Magistrates have been on notice for three years that if I were to be nominated to the Patrician rank, I would refuse to accept. No offense towards the Senate and Magistrates, mind you, or towards the Patrician class itself; it's more an ancestral thing, with a little bit of cognitive dissonance thrown in for good measure...

Mine Uncle Gaius Marius was as Plebeian as they come, and proud of it. One of the more awkward aspects of my OP Citizenship was that, before I'd shown up, gens Maria had already been made Patrician. To honor our Distinguished Adopted Ancestor, it was said... No thanks. Plebs was good enough for the Great Man, it's good enough for me.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General