Just one question about... you !

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Just one question about... you !

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Salvete omnes,

Just one question about you all : what sort of studies are you making ?

For myself, i'm a student in archeologia in the last degree of the Classical studies in France : in french i'm a "doctorant", i prepare a "these".

And you ?

Vale Bene

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Salvete iterum, mi Aule!

When you take a look at my name, it should not be difficult to guess what I am studying.

Indeed: Chinese! I am a student at the Eastern Languages and Cultures department of Ghent University. Both Modern and Classical Chinese, and next year I'l take on Japanese as well. I'd be also interested in Korean, but as for now, they do not offer it at the university.

Vale bene
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:08 pm

Salve Germini,

I am a student of Germanic Languages. My major is English (both literature and language) and my minor is German (literature only). I am currently in my third year. If I pass my re-exams, I should normally be in my last year come October.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:13 pm

I received my bachelor's in economics from the University of Chicago almost 20 years ago. I earned a master of science in management (Sloan Fellows Program) from the London Business School in 2001.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:42 pm

Salvete,

well, I think I'm the only member that's still in High School. I am currently studying commerce/languages and if al goes well, I'll be able ti graduate next year.

Valete,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 pm

Salvete

I have an AAS in Land Surveying, a BA in History and an incomplete (fourth year) BS in Education. And in a few years I shall be old enough to return for a master's degree in history free of cost, which I am looking forward to doing and furiously preparing for :wink:
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:46 pm

Tiberius Dionysius wrote:well, I think I'm the only member that's still in High School. I am currently studying commerce/languages and if al goes well, I'll be able ti graduate next year.

Actually, I'm also still in High School. Studying Latin, Greek, and computer science.

Vale,
Titus Marius Crispus
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:51 pm

M Moravi Horati Piscine wrote:I have an AAS in Land Surveying, a BA in History and an incomplete (fourth year) BS in Education. And in a few years I shall be old enough to return for a master's degree in history free of cost, which I am looking forward to doing and furiously preparing for :wink:

Hence your vigorous punishing of any historical views that don't come in five pages or more - but then again, I do recall a particular discussion which I am now ashamed of. Still, I wish you the best of luck ;).

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

well well...

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Thank you all for yours answers (but if somebody want to complete, he can, he should, he must)

If i understand, The Roman way of Life is more a passion for you (except one) than the way to get a job in classical teaching or anything else ?

i think that passion is a motor :D

Thans again :oops: (i really like this smiley)

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:42 pm

Salvete

I just graduated from highschool on june the 29th and I have a diploma from secundairy artschool visual arts.
I'm not planning on going to college, but i'm planning on taking courses in visual arts: painting and perhaps drawing on the side. I like painting and drawing. I'm actually working on making portraits of various mythological characters. I even portraited myself as a vampire and a ghoul, just for the fun of it. :)
valete optime

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:42 am

Salvete omnes,

I've been taking a few random part-time courses in various historical subjects, but this September I'll be studying Classical and Archaeological Studies, which is just an excuse to be read about the Res Publica for three years. 8)

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Marius Has No Class

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:14 am

Avete discipuli!

And then there are some of us...more than we usually hear from, I think...who are not "making" any formal studies at all. Your question didn't mean to leave us out, did it?

I am 18 years U.S. Air Force, now retired. I have a college degree in Anthropology and consider myself a Historical Cultural Anthropologist, one who studies the daily lives of peoples who lived long ago--in my case, obviously, the Romans! I gained this degree in the pursuit of greater authenticity in renactment and roleplay...in other words, for fun. That I may also have Romans for ancestors (just about anyone with roots in Western Europe does) has made my schooling a chance to explore my Heritage. Courses that had impact on my game-world and my understanding of the ancients:
-- The usual suspects, like Western Civ I and World Literature
-- Physical and Cultural Geography
-- Cultural Anthropology
-- English (where I wrote all those Latin papers)
-- Philosophy
-- Geometry (it's not about shapes, it's a discipline of thought)
-- World Religions
-- Choir (all that Latin...!)
-- ...and many more; really, almost every class I took was relevant some way!

Off-campus I have learned warehousing, teaching (as a Drill Sergeant), nursing, aircraft maintenance, search-and-recovery, auto repair, computer tech support, database programming, excruciating levels of record-keeping, and being homeless. My involvement in roleplaying is responsible for what social skills I possess. I have recently taken up the manufacture of bead jewelry.

I am now a student of Life, and wander my part of the planet communing with nature and the local spirits. I rescue dogs without homes, and go to war for dogs with bad ones. I will eventually figure out more of what I believe; and when I do, it'll be mine, not a Sunday-school hand-me-down. To live is to learn. I ain't half done yet.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:15 am

Salve Peregrine,

I don't want to leave you out ! My question was just to satisfy my natural curiosity (is it a big default ?) :oops:

By Jove, what an important CV !!! Congratulations !

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:46 pm

Salve Aule,

A student of Classical Philology at the university of Ghent here, Greek - Latin with modern Italian as third language and with (hopefully only) 2 years to go.

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

CV's and how to get one <wink>

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:57 pm

Salve iterum, Germini!

> My question was just to satisfy my natural curiosity (is it a big default ?)

Depends... Natural Curiosity is what got me into all the Trouble to begin with. So if you want to end up an extremely-intelligent gibbering wreck like Marius Peregrine, that'd be one of the better ways to do it...! >({|;-)

(Personally, I think Natural Curiosity ought to have its own cult. Can't find it in the churches hereabouts...)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: CV's and how to get one <wink>

Postby Anonymous on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:40 am

(Personally, I think Natural Curiosity ought to have its own cult. Can't find it in the churches hereabouts...)

Hum great idea indeed ! I propose to be the first in Paris to build an Aedicula to the Natura curiositas or Indoles Curiositas. Who to suscribe like a donator ?

INDOLI CURIOSITI SACR. A. AELIUS GERMINIUS D. S. P.

:wink:

Vale bene

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:42 am

Who want(s) sorry :oops:
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:29 am

Salve Germini,

You can edit your own postings. It's the button on the top left of your posting. So if you spot a mistake, you can always change it.

By the way, I've been wondering... what does "Germinius" mean?

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:05 pm

A bit of a late reply because of my holiday: I'm currently studying to be an orthopedagogue. I looked it up, and there is no equivalent in English. It's all about working with handicapped and 'problem-children'.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

What does Germinius mean ?

Postby Anonymous on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:36 pm

Salve Draco,

What does Germinius mean ? I don't know... Because my real wish was Aulus Aelius Geminus but when i subscribe someone give me this supernomen... So i keep it... :wink:

Vale

Aulus
Anonymous

Next

Return to Introductions