Applied for membership

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Applied for membership

Postby Anonymous on Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:14 pm

Today I applied for membership in the SVR.

Many of you know me from the "Other Place", where I was known as Marcus Octavius Germanicus. I no longer hold any offices there except senator.

I've had enough of the politics, the constant fighting, and the dominating of public life by a handful of malicious and treacherous individuals (you know who they are).

I'd much rather spend my time studying Latin and the Roman Religion among people who agree that these things are more important than seeking power.

I have applied under the name "Marcus Claudius Octavianus"; somewhat different from my old name, to indicate a fresh start.

To the SVR I offer free web hosting (BSD, Apache, Perl, PHP, Postgres or MySQL) and my efforts as a programmer.

Vale,
Marcus Claudius Octavianus,
privatus.
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:53 pm

Salve Octaviane!

May I be the first to welcome you here at SVR. I sincerely hope you will find this place more to your liking. I look forward very much to talking with you once more.

Vale optime,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:27 am

Salve Marce Claudi,

Great to have you aboard! I recently left the other place altogether because of exactly those reasons you mentioned.

Welcome to the SVR, may your stay here be long and fruitful. :)

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:21 am

I have just sent Marcus Claudius Octavianus the SVR Welcome letter. I also
add my words of welcome to that of the others.
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 am

SALVE MARCE! SI VALES, BENE EST, VALEO.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll like it here.
(I may be sending you a PM with tech questions. After you've settled in, that is :D )

VALE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:47 pm

Salve Marce

Welcome on board.

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:27 pm

Salve Marce

It is exceptionally good to see you have decided to join SVR. You have been with us as a visitor, so you already know the atmosphere is different here. Should you ever decide to participate in our 'politics' in the Senate's enclave, you will find it remarkably different as well. We can certainly use your technical support and your personal experience. I know it has been difficult for some sodales not to make comparisons, but it is a fresh place, a fresh start, and I welcome your input in building SVR as a new place. A very warm welcome to you as sodalis and amicus.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:14 pm

Salve Marce,

Welcome from me too! I've never been a citizen of the Other Place. A few visits there dissuaded me from joining. But I've been very happy with the serious kindred spirits that I've found here in SVR. You'll find a remarkable lack of "politics," power-grabbing and backstabbing. We're just here to learn and have fun.

I visited your website, and having lived in Chicago for four years (at the University in Hyde Park) I was intrigued by your other passion! I'm curious about Classical influence on Chicago funeral statuary and architecture. Any desire to write an essay about it?

Tergestus

P.S. Your website doesn't mention your membership in SVR yet!
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Heia!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:45 am

(((( There He Is !!! ))))

Salve iterum (Hello all over again), mi Octavi! Maior e longinquo reverentia (Some things are best admired at a distance), but I never thought of you as being one of them!!

Sodales, meet my Webmaster; the only one I've ever had besides myself. While still wrapped up in his official duties for that other place, he came to my rescue in Fall 2001 when, myself having lost 'Net access...and phone service...and one of my dogs...and a goodly chunk of my mind that year, he volunteered to host my humble Page, the Roman Outpost, thus preserving intact its record of having been up on one server or another for the better part of nine years. He hosted my e-mail, too. And, busy as he was, he even found time for a few minor updates; major ones, we knew, would have to wait until I got my own account again.

This man has an honorable mention on the home page of my Web site. (Have you seen it yet, Octavi?) He has, also, a special place in my heart. I will be proud to see him assume a place in the Societas Viae Romanae. May he rise to the level of his abilities!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions