Greek historical movies ?

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Greek historical movies ?

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:48 pm

Salvete omnes,

We all know the great classics of Roman historical cinema : Spartacus, Quo Vadis, Ben Hur, The Fall of the Roman Empire, I Claudius etc.
But does anyone know any (good) movies dealing with ancient Greece, apart from "Odysseus", Pasolini's Medea (which I disliked very much) or the recent "Troy" ?

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:48 pm

Salve Attice

Not really. I can't count Amazons and Gladiators as good movies, unless you want to make fun of it and laugh your ass of.
Well what about the movies that dealt with the Battle of Thermopylae: 300 spartans? I know they are planning on making a movie of the novel Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield which was really good (the book I mean)
Also, there is an upcoming miniseries on Herakles in 2005 called Hercules which seems to stick more to mythology that Hercules and Xena ever did. Other than that, I can't come up with anything.

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:10 pm

Salvete Romule et alii,

I've found nothing about "Gates on Fire" on imdb.com yet, so it must be in a really early stage of production, as Hercules, projected for 2005, is mentioned already.

While browsing on imdb, I also stumbled upon a miniseries about Spartacus, released early this year. Anyone who has seen it ?

Imdb also offers the trailer of Oliver Stone's "Alexander" btw : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346491/trailers

Valete optime,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:37 pm

Salve Attice

I think the Belgians have to wait a while before we can get a chance at seeing it. Maybe you can see it at the website of Videoland or Free Record Shop, Fnac when the release of Spartacus is for Belgium.
Videoland: www.videoland.be
free record shop: www.frs.be
Fnac: www.fnac.be , www.fnac.com

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:43 pm

Salve Attice

I just checked and on videoland.be it says that from the 5th of oktober, 2004, it will be availeble for rent, so i assume people can buy it also around that time.

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum