The Art of War

The people, conflicts, and daily life of the Roman army.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Anonymous on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:44 pm

Salve, Gnae Dyonisi Draco( usefull tip),

Yes, you understand it perfectly. Did you studying portuguese?
Well, i had a outstanding comprehension of the spoken/writen ( that words are right?) english, but to be really clear in the right way of english language, like you do..... it's another history...
About Latin....I studied it till the 3rd declination. It was 8 years ago, after that i quit the Latin. Now i'm back to Latin studies.

Vale!

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:57 pm

Salve Luci Claudi!

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS wrote:Yes, you understand it perfectly. Did you studying portuguese?

No, but I had a Brazilian friend once, who, although her English was very good, sometimes wrote to me in Portuguese. So I picked up a few words, and the rest I can usually infer from my knowledge of Latin and French.

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS wrote:Well, i had a outstanding comprehension of the spoken/writen ( that words are right?) english, but to be really clear in the right way of english language, like you do..... it's another history...

I understand. Well, understanding is always easier than speaking. I learnt most of my basic English through video games and television, and then it was further refined through secondary school, contacts over the internet and now college, where I'm working towards a degree in English :P. So it better be good ;).

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS wrote:About Latin....I studied it till the 3rd declination. It was 8 years ago, after that i quit the Latin. Now i'm back to Latin studies.

Hehe, well, I bought a Dutch-Latin dictionary two years ago to serve as my paper memory. I was afraid to forget my Latin.

Vale,
Draco

Vale!

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS[/quote]
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Salve Draco!

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:I understand. Well, understanding is always easier than speaking. I learnt most of my basic English through video games and television, and then it was further refined through secondary school, contacts over the internet...

I expect to get a mention in your graduation speech. 8)
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:21 am

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS wrote:Salvete...
[..]
Again, sorry for the bad english....
By the way, i speak portuguese, someone know it??
L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS

Salve, Lucio Claudio

Eu entendo português, já que sou brasileiro e vivo em Blumenau SC.
E você, de onde é?

Vale
M.Arminius Maior
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:26 pm

Salve!!

Ótimo....hehe...temos que aumentar a nossa presença, inclusive tem um outro amigo meu entrando na SVR, muito bom, não?
Eu, e este amigo meu somos de São Paulo...
Aproveitando o ensejo, por acaso vc sabe se temos "The grand strategy of the Roman Empire" em Português?

PAX ET LAETITIA...
Vale!!

L. CLAVDIVS INVICTVS
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:04 pm

Salve,
Frater
INVICTVS
et
Marcus Arminius Maior

Que essa breve missiva os encontre nas graças da deusa Fortuna, sinto-me honrado em fazer parte dessa augusta casta de admiradores do império e feliz em saber q Roma vive eternamente

PAX ET SALUT
VALE!!!
AENEAS CLAVDIVS SVPERBVS
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:05 pm

Salvete!

By the way...
We are impressed with the army organization of the ancient chinese ( by the implications of the Sun Tzu"s words...), so i'll must to ask:

Did ever the Roman Empire win a war match against Chinese empire?
( if it could ever happened...of course)

Valete!

L. Clavdivs Invictvs
Anonymous

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:24 pm

Salvete, portuguese speaking bunch of Roman enthousiasts!

(long greeting, I know :wink: )

Would the Roman Empire ever win a war match against the Chinese? As a student of eastern languages and Cultures, I will try to answer.
It is a difficult question, and it depends on what time frame you would set for the match.

But, in general, if I had to bet, my money would be on the Romans. If they would have to fight against the Mongols, on the other hand, they'd be doomed :!:

Iubeo aliquem valere

PS Long ago, I knew a bit of Spanish, so I can follow and understand your dialogues in portuguese, too!
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:16 pm

Salve Dyonisi Menci, honorobilissimus!!!

I'll thinking about IV and III centuries b.c.
In the Sun Tzu writings, he said that any combative force must had 200.000 men at least, and they MUST be armored with chain mail ( or breast plates ) and iron helmets, armed with sword, lance, and carrying a shield ( nor talking about 10.000 archibalists at least or the chinese cavalry particularities...), or it could'nt be called "an army". That's impressive!! I don't know any helenistic kingdom what match or even should reach this stats in that time!
P.s: May be he was over telling...(?????)
Vale mi Menci!!!
L.Clavdivs Invictvs
Anonymous

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:34 pm

Salvete iterum!

Sunzi's classical text is a strategy manual. Therefor, any figures he gives will be exaggerated.

Remeber that in ancient Chinese history, war was more like a show than real batlle. If there was a conflict, the nobles would assemble their warriors, and go out to meet in the field. But what happened was maybe one or two duels, no large scale battle. War was too expensive. The nobles could not afford to loose even one chariot.
But this is ancient history.

In your time frame (3rd and 4th century BCE), the situation was different. There, we can see some actual batlles. After the unification of China under the Qin dynasty, there are some peasant rebellions, and from that, we are able to give an estimation for the numbers of the army.

On the peasant side, they had

600-700 war chariots
1000 mounted soldiers
several 10000 foot soldiers.

Which was an impressive army, because in the end, they created a movement that overthrew the Qin dynasty.

The Qin dynasty had more soldiers, and there are reports of armies of 200 000 soldiers... But that was more exeptional than common in Chinese history of that time.

Iubeo aliquem valere
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Previous

Return to Collegium Militarium