Are we Role-players?(Talkin'about R.P.G.)

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Are we Role-players?(Talkin'about R.P.G.)

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:04 pm

Salvete Quirite!!!

I'm curious about something...

How many of us are/was Role players and/or Game masters or Dungeon Masters, whatever, and what systems you/we use/used to play: White wolf things ( like storyteller System), or G.U.R.P.S., or D20 System, or Old Ad&d, Castle Falkenstein, Kult, and so on ...)
P.s.: In positive case, since when( oooh, is that right writen?? :shock: !!!)
Valete!!!! Pax et laetitia...

Lvcivs Clavdivs Invictvs
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:09 pm

I played RPGs back when they started in the mid 1970s. My friends and I used Tunnels and Trolls, AD&D, Runequest, the Melee system from Metagaming Concepts some Chivalry and Sorcery, and a couple outer space based games (oh yeah, I remember one was called Traveler from Game Designers Workshop).

I gafiated (from "getting away from it all") after high school. Now I dearly wish that I had not wasted so much of my youth with that crap. I could have accomplished a great deal. At the least, like our frateres the Belgae, I would probably be speaking four or five languages now.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:45 pm

Salve amici!

I Started to playing in 1.987, and it still goes on... With my maturity ( I had now 34 years old...) only the matters and subjects of the game changed, and now my group of players ( we all around 35 years old... )prefer to play political/historical plots, including "Imperial Rome" :wink: , REAL middle ages, renaissance, and so on. We always tried to recreate with all fidelity we could, the era played, trying to enjoy that with the diferent points of view revealled in the process. We using the sessions to discuss about the true meaning questions about our lives and about our "Global" society too, mixed, regardless that, with the pure fun of a well designed Historical game session. Certainly we aren't somehow enlightened ourselves througth one game and another, but we still have lots of at least funny hours every month...
Obviouslly, when i get older, instead off playing dominoes or cards, i'll be playing the old R.P.G.
P.s. : About the languages, i'm only spoke my own( Portuguese), some Latin ( a really really, and one more time: really little bit..) and like you could see i had mistreated the english tongue :cry: !!!
P.p.s.: And i don't blame the R.P.G. for it :lol:

Salvete!!!!

L.Clavdivs Invictvs
Anonymous

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:43 pm

P.p.s.: And i don't blame the R.P.G. for it

That's true, we just get (apart from dutch) three languages at school: french (usually at the age of 10), English (13) and German (varies, between 16-18 ). Latin (12) and/or ancient Greek (13) when you chose it. I don't think many of us would learn those languages in their spare time if they weren't obliged to. Although I still see it as a normal thing to speak at least three languages.

And if you don't use a language, you forget it. I have a hard time 'cleaning up' my German for my four months in Germany (starting in november).

Oh, on topic: I don't play RPG, and I never tried it. It doesn't really attract me.

Vale bene!
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:08 pm

Salvete,

RPG does interest me, but I have too much occupations as it is already :). As such, all RPG I did was in video game form (Final Fantasy, Star Wars KOTOR, etc.).

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

My So-Called Life

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:36 am

Salvete amici...

I was introduced to Role-playing Games in November of 1983, at the tender age of 21. I had always, as a child, liked Let's-Pretend games the best; so my barracks-mate thought I'd be a natural at
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D), in what would only later become known as the First Edition.

I was extraordinarily blessed in my first gaming group: There were four of us regulars, another two or three who came in sometimes, and of the four "steadies", three of them were Dungeonmasters. Each one ran a distinct, original world and adventures (no Modules over here!!)--one Celtic; one Dark-Ages Teutonic; and one (my favorite!) Greco-Roman. I played with these folk every Sunday of every year I lived in San Antonio, TX. This was even before I had stumbled onto my Heritage. How much more I could have made of Michael's world if I had known what 'Roman' meant!

Succeding years introduced me to more groups, and more games: the White Wolf system (
Mage: Ascension, Werewolf: Apocalypse, and others); Cyberpunk, by R. Talsorian Games; Chaosium's Pendragon setting; Champions and the Hero System; and the last group I was with was Gamemastered by a fellow who had a campaign all thought out, but couldn't make up his mind what rules system he wanted to use!, leading to lots of one-night stands with everything from Dragonraid (a "Christian Adventure Learning Game") to Castle Falkenstein ("High Adventure in the Age of Steam").

In all this, I had never much felt the urge to DungeonMaster or Gamemaster my own world. That changed at about the 9-year mark (1992), when my friend Jon, who had been DMing everything for everybody, successfully got me to referee for a change, patiently waiting while I created a world that would be as much fun for me to run as it would be for him to play in! This was my AD&D Second Edition Roman historical-fantasy campaign of
Roma Subterranea, or "Rome Under-the-Earth", called affectionately "Sub-Roma" for short. We gamed in this world for five years, and at its height I was running a game for a half-dozen college students as well.

I played for 15 years, have been on hiatus for six, but still hope to get a group together again. I DMed for six years, almost all of it in Sub-Roma. In short, I've been at it (RPing) for almost my entire adult life, and I have no intention of putting the dice down now. Most of my best story-ideas have come to me within game contexts. I suspect almost all of my tales have that "feel" to them. Gaming may well have saved my life when I was homeless, giving me a ready-made network of friends with whom I could find shelter and a warm meal most nights. And almost all my "RL" friends are roleplayers.

(I had this in a much more compact format on my poor Page; but that's gone now. I don't plan to let it stay that way for very long!)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:03 am

salvete,
I started playing D&D four or five years ago, and after the DM moved away, was forced to be the DM for every game I've played since.

In addition to D&D, I've tried desperately to GM Vampire, Mage, Alternity, and some free games (Risus, SHERPA...). Unfortunately I never had a single player who was really interested in roleplaying over rollplaying. Someday I hope to find a group of people I can actually play with.

valete,
Titus Marius
Anonymous

Contact?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:59 am

Ave, Mari! (Always wanted to say that.)

I may be able to point you in the right direction; you did say San Antonio, nonne...? --for that's where my first gaming group was, the one with Penni and Michael and Damon and their rotating gameworlds. I do not know how interested Peni and Damon are in playing again; they kind of lost interest shortly after they got married, and whether that was due to the marriage or to frustration with Michael's style of DMing, I couldn't tell ya.

But Michael might like a chance to pick up the dice again! For the record, his style of DMing suited me just fine. I, too, am a roleplayer from way back. It's even "infected" my reenacting--I have to do it first-person; no equipment-monger show-and-tell for me!

When Michael is not DMing, he makes gold-wire jewelry in any shape you can imagine. Name-bracelets are his bread-and-butter, but he welcomes requests for anything more interesting. He has done medallions and character coats-of-arms for me. His business goes under the name of
Gyldanscript. I'm thinking you can find it in the phone book; Michael himself makes the rounds between various malls (where he has a cart), local military bases (their BXes) and the Texas Renaissance Festival (where he has had a permanent booth with sleeping loft for over twenty years).

If you can't find him one of those ways, I'll wire him for you and say you're interested in a game. He may allow me to put you in more direct contact.

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions