Most impressive military victory?

The people, conflicts, and daily life of the Roman army.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:04 pm

Salve,

I was just wondering what you guys would consider the most impressive military victory in your opinion in Roman history and why?

For me, it would Claudius II Gothicus' victory at Naissus over the Goths, because of the numerical differences and the brilliant way in which he deployed his troops and crushed the Goths.

Vale bene,

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:05 pm

I think that I would give the crown to Hannibal at Cannae. Unlike many great victories that resulted from chance and an able commander's ability to take advantage of fortune, Hannibal's victory at Cannae was entirely planned (if we are to believe the Roman sources that have come down to us). A plan that survived initial contact with the enemy. Now there's something!
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:43 pm

Salve Tergeste

An excellent point, since battle plans rarely mean anything after an enemy force is engaged. The same point can be made about some of Hannibal's other battles as well, but I would agree that Cannae was his most impressive victory.

I am not very familiar with ancient battles, at least not as well informed as I would like. So I will wait to give an opinion on what I think is the most impressive victory. Andrianople is one candidate. Antigonus' campaign against Alcetus was impressive. Perhaps Pydna for the opposite reason than you give of Hannibal, because adjusting to battlefield conditions is another sign of ability, and Aemilius exemplified that in his victory.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:51 am

Ave,
Battle of Alesia, 52 B.C requires special mention IMHO......This was THE battle that clinched total Roman occupation of Gaul. This was the only time when even a rather organised gallic campaign under brillinat commanders like Vercingetorix and Commius failed to defeat a much numerically inferior Roman army.
The actuall dynamics of the battle itself is impressive;
1.55000 Roman infantry and 6000 cavalry versus 230,000 Gallic infantry and 80000 cavalry. (Caesar had this tendency to exaggerate enemy numbers but it is almost certain that there were about 200,000+ foes)
2. The engineering genius of the Romans who made two concentric 11 mile (circumference) defensive lines with all those ditches, towers and spikes while the tribes of gaul gathered forces and marched to Alesia......all the while under constant attacks from the Gauls defending Alesia.
3. Caesar, Labienus and Trebonius deftly moving around the cohorts from one scene to another to meet the attacks from both the defenders and the relief force.
4.The Gallic forces were routed, losing almost three fourths strength as against minor losses in the Roman ranks.

The implications of the war are very significant....Gaul became a staunch Roman province like Hispania, Transalpine Gaul and Greece for another 400 years. It provided a springboard and major recruitment centre for further Roman conquests into Anglia and Germania. Note that Attila's threat to Western Roman Empire was checked almost exclusively by Briton and Gallic legions under Aetius. The Gallic spirit was crushed so badly that there were no more serious challenges to Pax Roma, the threat to Rome now came from Judaea and Germania.... Even the Belgae were almost wiped out after Caesar took some legions and ran a second revenge campaign (for the slaughter of Sabinus's and Cotta's legions) into Ambiorix's country immediately after Alesia. The Atlantic seaboard was now totally under Rome as a result.

Marius Sandrocottus.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:27 pm

Salvete Sodales!

The most significative/impressive victory of the( LATE )Roman Army was the victory of Aecivs over Atilla and the Huns at Châlons, after all, deflecting the Huns, Aecivs ensure at least a last breath and ultimate survival of the mistreated Italy in the ocasion...
Keep in mind that Aecivs' Roman Army in fact was a misarranged conjunction of foederatii Visigoths, Vandals and the weakened old "legions" ( completely outnumbered in the formation of that specific army, by the Barbarian foederatii ), and control that kind of "Roman army" and lead it to victory should'nt be a easy deed. In fact, beaten Atilla and the Huns at field in that circunstances, was almost a unbelievable victory.

Valete !!!!!! PAX ET LAETITIA
L. Clavdivs Invictvs
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:15 pm

I think, that the battle at Cane was one of the greatest military operation in history. Having near twise smaller army from Romans, had lossed half an army, and many elefants, after crossing the Alps mountins, ties and hungries, Carthagens annihilated Roman`s army.It was made,if it could be say fast and graceful mode. It is the merit only one man - Hannibal.
Anonymous

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:46 am

Does Belisarius's capture of Rome and its subsequent defense count? Coming as it did in the reign of Justinian, after the Western Empire has been canceled out, and the legionaries of the Republic are the stuff of scrolls only, perhaps not.

But (if memory serves) Belisarius and his more or less mercenary forces were outnumbered by the Gothi; they arrived in hostile country; they had to deal with a sad old Rome that wasn't especially happy to have them come busting in; and not only did they take Rome, they fought off the Gothic counterattack and forced a change in command of the Goths and a peace agreement, leaving them in possession of Roma Ipsa. It was a pretty amazing feat for such a small force.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Collegium Militarium