Younger vs older Gods

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Younger vs older Gods

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:00 am

Salvete

A while back, someone on a another emaillist pointed out that most pagans who worship Hellenic/ Roman Gods usually end up worshipping younger Gods like Apollo, Artemis, Hekate, Athena,Dionysus and Hermes, but few are drawn to older Gods like Zeus, Poseidon and Hades.
Especially Hades is one who is more than likely left out due to his associations with death and afterlife.
I think the problem here lies with connection or feeling connected with the Gods. Its certainly understandeble to have affinity for the younger Gods, because they are more asscoiated with things that affect us daily while Zeus, Hades and Poseidon, not to mention Hestia, Hera and Demeter are more or less left out due to their associations with government, controle, force (Zeus)- horses, earthquakes, sea (Poseidon)- death,afterlife (Hades)- marriage, children (Hera)- chastity, home (Hestia)- earth, farmers, etc... (Demeter).
These are the things that come to mind when thinking of the elder Olympian Gods. I don't know what the rest thinks of when thinking of these Gods. I doubt that this is limited to Hellenic paganism, but does other pagan traditions rooted in antiquity share the same "problem"? I don't necessarly think it is a problem, but I would like to hear some other thoughts ont he mtter.
valete

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:05 am

Salve Orce

Maybe the person who wrote that just hasn't met any older pagans. The younger Gods that you mention do not mean much to me in my current life. Jupiter does, and more so now than earlier in my life, because I always saw Him as a father figure and related more to Him after I became a father. Juno has come to mean more to me as I grow older and appreciate older women more. Neptunus I always appreciated, but you might get more insight on Neptunus from Ericius who is our eldest sailor here. At any rate, with any of the Gods, you find They enter your life when you have need of Them, so as you grow older you will gain more insight into Them and see Them in a new light as you mature further.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:07 pm

Salve Pscine

Maybe the person who wrote that just hasn't met any older pagans. The younger Gods that you mention do not mean much to me in my current life. Jupiter does, and more so now than earlier in my life, because I always saw Him as a father figure and related more to Him after I became a father. Juno has come to mean more to me as I grow older and appreciate older women more. Neptunus I always appreciated, but you might get more insight on Neptunus from Ericius who is our eldest sailor here. At any rate, with any of the Gods, you find They enter your life when you have need of Them, so as you grow older you will gain more insight into Them and see Them in a new light as you mature further.

Maybe, its just a Hellenic thing. I don't know. Until recently, Apollon did not mean much to me either, but I appreciate him. Upa dn till than, it was always Haides and Hekate who meant more to me than the other Gods. I always saw Zeus and Hera as parents, Zeus being the father figure and Hera, the mother figure. But I think any God or Goddess can be a father or mother figure. Its just, being more emphizised on Zeus/ Jupiter and Hera/ Juno than on others. I do appreciate Zeus, mainly because - and it may sound weird to hear it beens aid from someone of my age, but I do hope to become a father one day, so in that regard, I do appreciate Zeus.
I guss you are right. Maybe I will get abter insight on these elder Gods as I grow older, but at the same time, this could never happen either. It all depends from person to person.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum