Trivial Pursuit of Antiquity

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Drop-Off Point

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:44 pm

Salve, mi Draco...

Not being familiar with the original Trivial Pursuit, I was unaware of the limitation on the number of categories. I'm guessing the color-coding is set in stone as well, nonne?

Okay: Maybe we can drop off my sorts of topics in either Science (military science) or the Daily Life category (for being "Day in the Life of a Legionary"-type stuff).

I just don't want to see them in History, which will probably be an overcrowded classification to begin with, and chuck-full of questions of such a completely different nature that I find no compatibility between them. Truly there was that much difference in scope between what a miles gregarius did all day and what effect it had on the world around him!

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Drop-Off Point

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:48 am

Salve Mari!

Marius Peregrine wrote:Not being familiar with the original Trivial Pursuit, I was unaware of the limitation on the number of categories. I'm guessing the color-coding is set in stone as well, nonne?

I'm afraid so.

Marius Peregrine wrote:Okay: Maybe we can drop off my sorts of topics in either Science (military science) or the Daily Life category (for being "Day in the Life of a Legionary"-type stuff).

Sounds like a good idea to me. And you're right, History will be overcrowded. I would suggest to keep questions on dates of battles et al in History though.

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:12 pm

Salvete

Trivial Pursuit questions tend to be easy. It is a game after all and not a trivia contest. Might we try to run a trivia thread in Ludi Societatis where members can ask questions to one another? Among ourselves the questions would probably be more difficult than in a Trivial Pursuit game, as we try to stump one another. But in doing so we may come up with some questions and answers for your game.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:10 pm

Salve Piscine,

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'm sure everyone here can ask questions that others won't know, so it looks like a good way to learn some trivia or inspire a discussion on a topic.

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Reclassification Request approved [wink]

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:59 am

Salve, mi Draco...

...et multibus gratias for understanding what I was getting at. I hadn't visited in a couple of days, and was sure this thread would be full of slings and arrows from History buffs who might have thought I was 'dissing' their specialty! >({(:-)

I do concur with leaving military factoids of a name-and-date nature in History. (I believe I've said so in a couple of places, but I may not have been clear.) It's the other stuff (and you seem to 'get' what other stuff I mean) that I labelled "my types of questions", and that I thought needed another home. I am glad to know that someone with some influence on the process concurs.

I leave the further development of "Trivial Pursuit: the Times Roman Edition" in your capable hands. ** bows **

In fide (and you can always ping me for questions!),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:55 pm

Salvete,

Ten more questions

------------------------

1. Who is said to have finished every speech with "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse" - Marcus Porcius Cato

2. Who was the fifth emperor of Rome - Nero

3. Who was the tenth emperor of Rome - Titus

4. Who was the fifteenth emperor of Rome - Antonius Pius

5. During the Republic, which side opposed the Catones - the Scipiones

6. Who were the members of the Second Triumvirate - Octavianus (Augustus), Antonius and Lepidus

7. Which one helped the Trojans : Athena, Hera or Aphrodite - Aphrodite

8. When were Pompeii and Herculaneum destroyed by the Vesuvius - 79 AD

9. What is the plural of corpus - corpora

10. What is the plural of magistratus - magistratus

----------------------

Valete bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

My contribution (1)

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:16 pm

Salvete conlusores...

...and, as promised (even without being Pinged), I provide a bunch of Military Science questions. I'll let you good, expert people decide where to put them! [g]

Here goes...(Note use of the present tense!)

< - - - - [ S P Q R ] - - - - >

An optio is a Centurion's understudy. What is an optio ad spem ordines? --An optio actually in line for promotion to Centurion

How many Military Tribunes are there in a Legion? --Six

When the Legion is in a permanent camp, where are the Standards kept? --In a shrine in the principium (HQ building)

Where is the treasury? --Right under the Standards!

Who is the fellow who goes around giving the password at the beginning of each guard-shift? --The tesserarius

The shortsword in use by the infantry is the...? --Gladius

What is the name of the cavalry longsword? --Spatha

The famous segmented-plate armor of the Legions is called...? --Lorica segmentata

Lorica hamata is... --Chainmail

This scale armor is named after a lizard. What is it called? --Lorica squamata

What is the difference between a pilum and a regular spear or javelin? --The pilum is made to bend or break on impact so it cannot be thrown back

I dig holes, pick teeth, carve supper, and defend my master when he's lost everything else. What am I? --A pugio (dagger)

How many men form a contubernium? --Eight

What were the two main types of helmet produced by the Empire? --Imperial Gallic and Imperial Italic

Roman Emperors are often shown on the backs of coins greeting or addressing their troops. What is this action called? --An adlocutio

The scorpion most frequently appears on the shields and standards of which unit...? --The Praetorian Guard

A Legion's Eagle is held to be sacred. Why is this? --Because it houses the numen legionis or Spirit of the Legion

What is the term for a brand-new recruit? --Tiro

Your initial training-period, possibly six months to a year, is called what? --Your probatio

Every Centurion has it; every Legionary dreads it. What is it? --A vitis (vine-staff)

How many centuries are there in a cohort? --Six

How many cohorts are in a Legion? --Ten

How does the First Cohort differ, size-wise, from the rest? --It's almost double-strength

Which Legion had the highest numerical designation? --XXX Ulpia

This Legion's nickname means "Old Ironsides"; which is it? --VI Ferrata

This Legion was recruited by Caesar entirely from Gauls and was named "The Larks" because they sang so prettily on the march. Which Legion is it? --V Alaudae

Which Legion's cognomen can be translated as "Dire Straits"? --X Fretensis

This barbarian war-cry was first feared, then adopted, by the Legions. What is it? --The barritus

How long must an auxiliary soldier serve before retiring and being granted Roman citizenship? --25 years

Which was the famous "Lost Legion"? --IX Hispana

See? --Now ya got me started. That means More to Come!!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:57 pm

Salve Mari!

These are excellent questions. Thank you!

Vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:39 am

Dear Lord, I could barely answer a few of them, some interesting things though, aaah, so much more to learn... :wink:

Do you know why the Praetorian Guard used a scorpion as a symbol ? I didn't know this.

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Size isn't everything...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Salve, mi Lupe, et salvete omnes...

I can't say I know why the Praetorians chose the scorpion, but I have a pretty good guess...

Scorpion: Little bitty critter with a nasty sting.

Average height of the Roman soldier: about 5'4", like me. Praetorians a little taller, maybe 5'5" to 5'8". Still a lot shorter than a Gaul.

And he carries a sword.

Miles Romanus: Little bitty critter with a nasty sting! >({|:-)

(Mi Draco, I'm glad you liked my questions! I have maybe two more similarly-sized batches in the works. The sport's addictive once you break into it!)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:25 pm

Salvete,

Ten more questions:

--------------------

1. Who wrote the Pharsalia - (Marcus Annaeus) Lucanus

2. What does Cave canem mean - Look out for the dog !

3. How many emperors were there in 69 AD - Four (Galba - Otho - Vitellius - Vespasianus)

4. Which poet wrote about Lesbia - Catullus

5. What are the three Roman names called - Praenomen, nomen and cognomen

6. Does Lucius et Marcus mean the same as Lucius Marcusque - Yes, both mean Lucius and Marcus

7. Who was the author of the Fasti - Publius Ovidius Naso

8. Which came first, the battle of Salamis or the battle of Marathon - the Battle of Marathon (490 BC)

9. With Alexander the Great in Persia, who was left in command of Greece and Macedonia - Antipater

10. What would be the plural of Alea iacta est - Aleae iactae sunt

------------------------------------

Valete bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

My contribution (2)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:18 am

More MilSci...or whatever we end up calling it. [wink]

What was Clavarium? --Extra pay for long marches

Who does performance evaluations on Centurions, much to their chagrin? --The Military Tribunes

The praefectus castrorum or camp commandant works under the Legion's Legate...but who is his actual boss? --The Governor of the Province

The hobnailed boots the Legionary wears are called... --Caligae

"Ex papilionem Mari Peregrini salutem plurimum dico"
...Where am I as I write this? --In my tent (papilio)

A closer inspection of certain familiar bas-reliefs has revealed that the Roman soldier wore what under his caligae? --Socks

How do these socks differ from ours? --They have neither heel nor toe

Tunic color is a hotly-debated topic in the reenactor community. What two colors are most often seen? --Red and White

On average, how many Legions were there at any given time? --25 to 28 (max. 30)

Which three Legions were lost at Teutoburger Wald? --The XVII, XVIII, and XIX Legions

What Legion was a gift to Augustus from a client-king? --XXII Deiotariana

Most Legions have a number and a name; several are known with a number but no name. But one recorded Legion had a name and no number! Which was it? --Legio Martia

The initials 'P.F' after a Legion's name mean...? --Pia Fidelis ('Devoted and Faithful')

Which Legion replaced the IX Hispana in Britain after the Ninth was lost? --The VI Victrix

What are the distinguishing marks of an optio? --Tall feathers at the sides of his helmet, and a long, knobbed staff or dressing-stick (for evening up the formation)

Standard-bearers wear animal-skin cloaks as part of their uniforms. What is the main difference between the Legions' pelts and those of the Auxilia? --Auxiliaries' hides had the 'mask' (face) of the animal removed

Legionaries weren't supposed to marry, but many of them did anyway. What term describes any children that resulted...? --Castris

How many miles did a Legion typically march in a day? --15 to 20

In how many hours? --Five

What did they do as soon as they halted? --Built a fortified camp

How far might they get in a forced march? --30 to 40 miles

What proof did a retired Auxiliary have of his Roman Citizenship and satisfactory completion of service? --His diploma

What is the name of the famous Cavalry Games? --Hippikia gymnasica

What were the two sides called in these Games? --Trojans and Amazons

Have way too much fun for a legal adult... >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:42 pm

*Resurrection skills*

How about this project?

Come on, there has to be more questions!

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 pm

RELIGION & MYTHOLOGY

33. Name at least two of the six elder male Titans. Okeanos, Koios, Krion, Hyperion, Iapetos, Kronos.
34. What was the female equivalent of a Bacchant? A Maenad.
35. Why did the ancient Greeks place a coin in the mouth of a deceased person? To pay for the ferry across the Styx.
36. In front of which king did Mucius Scaevola put his hand in the fire to show his fearlessness? Lars Porsenna.

SCIENCE & PHILOSOPHY

23. Who actually invented the wooden barrel? The Celts.

ARTS & LITERATURE

37. Which English poet wrote about the fall of the Titans in two unfinished poems? John Keats
38. Name at least five cases of Classical Latin: Nominative, Vocative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative.
39. What is the literal meaning of "resurrection"? Re-emerging.
40. Ancient Greek had a speech modus which Latin did not have. Which one? Optative.
41. Why did the Celts rarely write? Because they believed writing weakened the memory.
42. Is the Runic alphabet related to the Latin and Greek alphabet? Yes.
43. What was the direct ancestor of the Latin alphabet? The Etruscan alphabet.

---

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum