Who was Glaucus?

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Who was Glaucus?

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:54 pm

Salvete amici,

As some of you know, I'm writing my thesis about the Hyperion cycle of Dan Simmons, especially in relation to John Keats's poetry. Now, in both works, there is a character named Glaucus who I know is from ancient mythology. Instead of allowing myself to be confused by contradictory results from the 'net, I will ask here: does any of you know who Glaucus was?

Optime valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:44 pm

Salve Draco!

http://www.theoi.com/Okeanos/Glaukos.html

This site has translations to (all?) classical authors who wrote about the deity. Thanx to our friend Orcus, who once directed me to this wonderful site.

BTW, I have one of Dan Simmons' books at home (in Dutch). The title is simply 'Hyperion'. If you would like to have it, no problem (this way I can create some more room on my bookshelf...)

Vale bene!
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:40 pm

Salve Draco

It depends on which Glaucus you are referring to. There are at least 4 different persons named Glaucus. The first one, is the one Mus provided a link for; the sea god. The second one being the son of Merope and Sisyfus, was killed by the horses at the funeral games for king Pelias, who tore him apart.
Glaucus was also the name for a soldier fighting alonside the Trojans during the Trojan war. The 4th Glaucus is a son of Minos who is also known other the name Labicus when he led an army to attack Italy.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:07 am

Salve Draco,

the only Glaucus - or Glaukos as I knew him - I'm aware of is the man fighting at Troy. According to Homer he was actually one of leaders of the Lykians or one of the other Asia Minor states, along with his relative Sarpedon. Both of them died at Troy, I forget exactly how though. Homer doesn't give them much of a character, apart from the epithets of brave, courageous, strong and so forth, that practically go with the "epic hero" job description. :lol:

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:45 pm

Salvete amici,

Thank you for your help!

Publius Dionysius Mus wrote:BTW, I have one of Dan Simmons' books at home (in Dutch). The title is simply 'Hyperion'. If you would like to have it, no problem (this way I can create some more room on my bookshelf...)

I have all four of these books in English, as they are the ones I'm discussing in my thesis. Thanks, but no thanks :).

Valete optime,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:26 pm

Salve Mus

Publius Dionysius Mus wrote:

BTW, I have one of Dan Simmons' books at home (in Dutch). The title is simply 'Hyperion'. If you would like to have it, no problem (this way I can create some more room on my bookshelf...)

If you don't want that book anymore, I will be more than happy to take it of your hands. That if, you don't have any objections to it?
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum