Essay Contest

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Essay Contest

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:53 am

What happened to this idea? I've actually cleared up some time to work on an extended essay, on want to see this happen now. Is everyone here able to participate. Please leave a brief reply telling the best times to hold this. I'd be willing to judge with another person (making it more fair) unless there's two other people who really want this? What do you all think?

Scerio
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Salve Scerio,

I'm in the middle of writing my thesis, and after that I have exams, so for me it wouldn't be possible for the coming months :(.

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:Salve Scerio,

I'm in the middle of writing my thesis, and after that I have exams, so for me it wouldn't be possible for the coming months :(.

Vale,
Draco

Perhaps we could delay this project until summer ?

Valete,
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 pm

Great idea Atticus. The summer is when most would be able to be free. I'll resurrect this then.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:54 pm

Salve Scerio,

Could you explain to me what an essay contest is? Sounds like from your first post in this thread that you picked up an old idea. But since I'm not familiar with that old idea I would appreciate it if you could explain it to me. Thanks.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:10 am

Basically just an essay contest :P Primarily for the collegia, you pick a topic suitable for one of the collegia, you write about it, and the select judge it. So far there has been no specifics.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Topic found :-)

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun May 22, 2005 1:54 pm

Salve Scerio,

I found a topic about which I would like to write an essay hoping that it might interest the others here at the SVR, too. I have some literature about the Varus battle and have just visited the museum and park at Kalkriese (near Osnabrück) where there were the "Internationalen Römertage" (Roman Renaissance Fair) which was quite interesting. I would like to present the latest information on the Varus battle etc. and could spice up my essay with some pics I've taken.

If you think that's a good topic just let me know until then I have to write the essay and how do I have to send it to you or the judging board. By e-mail as a Word attachment or how?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun May 22, 2005 11:52 pm

I don't think anyone has approved of anything yet, like a judging board, length of the article etc... Start writing it (.doc would be fine) and here soon when everyone is out of school we can resume.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Essay Finished :-)

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:44 pm

Salve Scerio,

I just wanted to inform you that I'm done with my essay. Just let me know where I could mail this to. I guess the others are still busy with their exams so I still have some time to mail it to the judges.

Don't worry if you reply to me soon and I don't send the mail right away because I'll be on an absentia for one week, but a pleasant one: I'm goin on vacation to an island in the Eastern part of Germany at the Baltic Sea.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:50 am

I guess I'll be a judge - I really don't have a preplanned essay ready anyway. Hrm, shall we set the date for all essays to be in at June 30?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:01 am

the 30th is coming up soon! email them to me at cweb255 at hotmail dot com.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:44 pm

Well, I was hoping for previously unpublished essays only, but nothing really regarding length etc... - after all, it's the quality that counts. Do people need more time?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:39 am

Well, so far I've only got Cleopatra Aelia who sent anything in. I'm starting to doubt that there's enough support for this at all. :( Unless anybody objects, I can postpone the deadline for a week...Aelia, quid dices?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:00 am

Draco Atticeque, are you still planning on submitting an essay?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:59 am

maybe its best to postpone the deadline for another week. I'm still working on my Herakles essay where I have to add new information that I have found in Carl Kereny book "Heroes of the Greeks". Can you imagine, I actually found a Dutch translation of this book?
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:28 am

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:Draco Atticeque, are you still planning on submitting an essay?

Yes, but the 30th is a bit too soon for me, as I'm only finished with my exams the 28th, and I'm at the seaside for the weekend thereafter. I could use a little breather then, and I still need to think about a topic.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:22 pm

Salve Scerio,

I had an essay ready, but as I was suggested to publish it in a periodical (I am preparing it for publication just now), I'm afraid I cannot put it on the internet at this moment.

Vale,
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:00 pm

Salve Scerio,

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:Well, so far I've only got Cleopatra Aelia who sent anything in. I'm starting to doubt that there's enough support for this at all. :( Unless anybody objects, I can postpone the deadline for a week...Aelia, quid dices?

I'm glad to hear you got my e-mail and since you didn't complain, everything was legible, nothing warped due to formats etc.

Of course you could grant the others more time esp. since I know that many here are students and therefore busy with their exams which is more important than a website they are concerned with as a hobby. I'm glad that those times are behind me and the only commitments I have is going from Monday to Friday to work and then could enjoy myself at home and do the things I like. So that was the reason why I had enough time to write the essay once an idea popped into my mind what to write about.

So why don't you postpone the deadline for one month, I think that should give everyone sufficient time to come up with something good. Then it's not too rushed for those who just finished their exams and need a break first to clear their minds.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:06 pm

Glad to hear that you all are still here and interested. Absolutely I can postpone it for a month. The 31st of July, then, is the new deadline.

In pace bona,

Scerio
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:20 pm

I hate to postpone it even further, but I am temporarily without internet access at home. But I still have only received one person's paper, the paper of Aelia, so is that it? I know everyone's busy now with the reorganisation of the site, but still, academic advancement was a priority, was it not? Weren't we founded on the collegia?

waiting for more responses,

Scerio
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Return to General