Greek Gods movie

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Greek Gods movie

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:03 am

Khairete. I am the director of a the documentary I Still Worship Zeus about people in Greece who honor and worship the Greek Gods and the social and political struggles they face now in a 98% Christian Orthodox society. In the movie are personal accounts from believers, skeptics, rituals to the gods, including an Apollo oracle at Delphi from Apollo.You can visit my homepage at www.istillworshipzeus.com and I'd love to talk with other people about the situation in Greece. I was there for 2 years and learned a lot about the Greek religion as it stands today.
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:33 pm

Salve

Interesting. I see you have been going around to a few places with the same message. May we have a name by which to address you? We would like to know more on how the Hellenes are doing, and discussion of the Greek Gods is welcome in SVR. I would not like to see your posts here mistaken as spam. I have heard of problems faced by our comreligiones in other parts of the Balkans, but Greece does seem to have unique circumstances.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Yes, Greece is somewhat unique in the sense that their claim to fame is Greek mythology yet they don't allow their people to practice it today. But in Greece being "Greek" is equated with being "Greek Orthodox" Sounds funny, but true. If you are any other religion there, people accuse you of not being Greek. They feel close to the Byzantine tradition I guess, plus priests there are very integral in the political process. The bishop is consulted on major laws before they are passed/rejected so you can imagine where the Greek gods organizations have problems getting recognized.
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:35 am

I remember that i saw a list of EU countries that were religious intolerant and Greece, I thought was in the top 5 of that list. But I thought that the situation was improving with the EU meddling with the whole situation and forcing Greece to take action against the intolerance.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:49 pm

Well there is a talk about a non-profit commission in Greece representing different factions in the country, which includes one of the 12 gods organizations, that would have direct communication with the EU. We shall see though if that pans out or if it is merely a symbolic gesture.
Anonymous

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Salvete Omnes,

I have heard about this before. It was at the Yahoo Chat List of the Pagan Federation of which I am a member. For your info I would like to post here the corresponding message from that chat list:

I Still Worship Zeus, the documentary about people in Greece who honor
and worship the 12 gods and the social and political struggles they
face, has been reissued on DVD by distributor National Film Network for
all regions of the world. New features include a trailer, slideshow of
production stills, and optional DVD-ROM web link access. For more info
go to
https://www.nationalfilmnetwork.com/sto ... ductID=182

For more info on the movie, including links to Hellenic social and
political causes, go to the homepage of the movie at
www.istillworshipzeus.com
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:53 am

Salve.
Jamil isn't it? Maybe I'm confused.
We talked about this at MysticWicks. I am very interested in this documentary. I'd also like to do some research into whether or not these 12 Gods People claim an unbroken lineage to the past.
Vale bene.

P.S. Does anyone know if the Olympians were actually worshipped by the graeci antiqui, or if they were more like literary forms.
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:28 pm

I'd be hard pressed to believe that the chain is unbroken, as it hardly is with any "neopagan" group today, especially with the Christian clearings of the Byzantine empire and later the wars with the Ottomans... And aren't genetically the Greek people very different from what they were? I know other Balkaners emigrated to the land, but I'm not positive on demographics.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum