Absentia

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Absentia

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:11 pm

Salvete omnes,

I'm off for a couple of weeks, so I'll see you all in mid-August!

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Noooooo...!!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:36 pm

AACK!!!

It cannot be!!!

And just as our RP characters were getting ready to skip town, too...

** sobs **

(Enjoy your break!) >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Salvete omnes

I shall be away 13-20 March to Minneapolis, Minnesota. If anyone is in the area and might like to meet with me while I'm there, write to me at mhoratius@sbcglobal.net and we'll see if we can make arrangments.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:40 pm

I will be away until the 6th of July, as I will be visiting St.-Petersburg. Among many other - Russian - things, I expect to visit the Antiquities department of the famous Hermitage museum. Their Roman section is described as follows :

The unusually varied collection of Roman art spans the period from the late period of the Republic (1st century BC) to the late Empire (4th century AD), but most important is the collection of sculptural portraits. Including men, women and children, emperors, famous Roman statesmen, and private individuals, they enable us to trace the evolution of Roman portraiture from the creation of a faithful and accurate reproduction of the sitter's appearance to the depiction of the individual's inner world. The masterpieces of the collection are the bronze bust of a Roman man (1st century BC), a Syrian woman (2nd century AD), the Emperors Balbinus and Philip the Arab (both 3rd century AD). Roman official art, which affirmed the idea of the Eternal City by showing the Emperor as a god or triumphant commander - can be judged by the statue of the Emperor Augustus as Jupiter (1st century BC) and the portrait of Lucius Verus. Among the statues relating to different cults we should note the enormous statue of Jupiter (1st century BC) from Emperor Domitian's country villa. The exhibition includes a rich collection of Roman altars, reliefs, and marble sarcophagi.

The Hermitage collection of Roman antiquities is complemented by fine examples of bronzes, glassware, ceramics and mosaics.

8)

Valete !
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:05 pm

Ave Attice,

I never expected that there would be anything Roman on display at a museum in Russia. So I wish you a very nice trip and hope you tell us (under a seperate link) what you thing of the Roman exhibition at the Hermitage collection.

By the way, St. Petersburg is partner city of Hamburg but I've never been there although I heard it must be a nice place.

Enjoy your trip and come back home safely.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Roman in America

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:03 am

Ave, amica Aelia!

Heh heh...I never thought I'd see anything Roman displayed in the United States. And I haven't. But it happens; I remember coming upon an absolute coffee-table of a book which was the catalog for an exhibition of Roman sculpture.

My first reaction upon seeing the pics:

"What are the poor things doing so far from home??"

Still trying to wrap my brain around that one, >({|:-p
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Salve Mari,

Ah, but a true Roman is a citizen of the world. As such, it's no surprise that art, architecture and other physical remnants of the civilisation are still doing it, nonne? ;)

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Roman in America

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:56 pm

Salve mi Mari,

Marius Peregrine wrote:Ave, amica Aelia!

Heh heh...I never thought I'd see anything Roman displayed in the United States. And I haven't. But it happens; I remember coming upon an absolute coffee-table of a book which was the catalog for an exhibition of Roman sculpture.

>({|:-p

In a small book about Rome I have a list (though not complete) of museums all over the world where Roman things are on display and for the USA it states the following:

Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, fine Roman Art
Malibu: J. Paul Getty Museum, high ranking art museum in the replica of a Roman villa
New York City: Metropolitan Museum of Art; art museum with many Ancient Roman atracktions

Mari, do you know any of these museums.?I have been to NYC though never set a foot into the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was fancying more the dinosaur skeleton at the Natural History Museum ;-) But I'll make sure I do it the next time I'm in NYC, since I do have friends living in NY State and PA who I visit from time to time, so next time I should go to NYC again.

But that above list is far from being complete since it lacks the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. Maybe we should make a list here on the SVR homepage which could get more and more complete whenever someone of us has been to an interesting exhibition.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Look! Over There!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:51 am

Salvete amici...

> Mari, do you know any of these museums?

I've heard of all three of them; I believe the big book was put out by Boston. I picked up the book in '93, only a couple of years after coming into the Heritage; so I didn't know everything, and that was my first encounter with so much as the idea of Roman sculpture in the Americas.

But I can say I know only the Getty. It came to my attention because of its being a repro Pompeiian villa, at a time when I had some Big Crazy Dream about building a Roman-history park somewhere in the central U.S. And to think I used to live not too far from Malibu when I was in high school--! <sigh> So by the next year I was in San Francisco, had a couple of editions of their guidebook, and I was wondering how they'd take it if I showed up in armor for their Roman Week in early January (iirc)! But of course the car wimped out, I told myself "Next Year...!", and next year never happened--I was at Ft Irwin taking care of my Ma, not going anywhere. Story of my life, some decades...

So I've never actually made it out to a museum with a Roman exhibit. One of these years, someone who loves me very much is going to help me make up for the missed opportunities.

And I'm going to stop writing about this before I get soppy.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General