Religio ... Americana?

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:19 am

Salvete Urse et omnes

Romulus Iulius Ursus wrote:Salvete Piscine et Omnes,

I live in southwestern PA, effectively the middle of nowhere. But perhaps on special occasions I might be able to drive a few hours to a larger area where there would theoretically be more practicioners. Shorty I may even have to move to said urban areas to find a job.

Anyone else in the Mid Atlantic to form a provincia?

SW Pa, as in near Pittsburgh? I, in Akron, Ohio, am less than two hours drive away. And just several hours by bus to DC. I do not fair well driving, but maybe we could meet half way.

Valete
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:45 am

Salvete,
Anyone in FL? I am in the Tampa Bay Area.

Vale,
Gegania
Anonymous

Re: A mid-atlantic provincia?

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:52 am

Salvete

Xantippe Helia Allegra wrote: One reason I strongly favor your idea of an active priesthood is so that our son, Isidorus Helios Phoenix, will be raised within the religio (as much as possible).

This would be of special interest to me. I enjoy working with children and have raised a few to adulthood already. Working with children in the Religio Romana would become a special concern we would want to address. So could we take a survey, how many of our members have children and what are their ages? If enough parents are here and interested we could begin to work towards providing material for parents to use with young children.

Valete
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Xantippe Helia Allegra on Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:56 pm

Salvete,

Moravius Piscinus wrote:
SW Pa, as in near Pittsburgh? I, in Akron, Ohio, am less than two hours drive away. And just several hours by bus to DC. I do not fair well driving, but maybe we could meet half way.

Meeting halfway would prevent any one of us from undertaking an unreasonably long road trip. Although, after October's cross-country journey from Seattle, I am queen of the open road...three or four hours of driving is quite manageable.

M. Piscinus wrote:
So could we take a survey, how many of our members have children and what are their ages? If enough parents are here and interested we could begin to work towards providing material for parents to use with young children.

Isidorus turned two in December, and I am particularly interested in involving him/our family in the everyday practices of the religio as well as the festivals and celebrations.
Acquiring the material could be an excellent project for the collegium, while its utilization would occur at familial and potentially, provincial
levels.
Most parents will attest that it is never too soon to begin investing in/saving for your child's academic future--I feel the same is true regarding his/her spiritual education.

Valete optime,
Allegra
Xantippe Helia Allegra

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:03 pm

Salvete Omnes.

I live about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh and live less than three hours away from DC. But my financial and geographical situation is presently tenuous. I'm looking for a new job and might have to move who knows where. Let me get back to you.

On the subject of children I don't have any, but I'd be interested in the topic nonetheless.

Valete!
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:25 pm

Salva sis Allegra

Xantippe Helia Allegra wrote:
Isidorus turned two in December, and I am particularly interested in involving him/our family in the everyday practices of the religio as well as the festivals and celebrations.
Acquiring the material could be an excellent project for the collegium, while its utilization would occur at familial and potentially, provincial
levels.
Most parents will attest that it is never too soon to begin investing in/saving for your child's academic future--I feel the same is true regarding his/her spiritual education.

Valete optime,
Allegra

There are certainly some things we could do via the internet for parents with small children. Stories, games and activities, participation, online support groups. There is a website on Roman games, and I think Marius may have some knowledge in that area. We have people interested in writing, and story tellers. A retelling of tales from Livy, myths, or original work of children stories set in ancient or modern families is always possible. Projects, I use to do some basic science projects for my sons, and this could be done to instruct them on ancient scientists. Developing rituals for the family, with an eye on chidren participation is also very doable.

Also appreciated by parents is community for their children. We will see how it goes in organizing a meeting, and maybe could include something for children.

Vale optime
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:38 pm

Salvete

Ut bonam, Urse, fortunam habeas, nostros deos venerari.

Romulus Iulius Ursus wrote:I live about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh and live less than three hours away from DC.

After we get a better idea where everyone is and who would be able to attend, we can determine a central place to meet. Preferable in a town where one of us lives, so they can assist in making arrangements. Where we would meet would also have to consider our individual situations. In my own case, I can drive for about an hour only. Two hours if driven. I would do better if able to fly in, so even Gegania's place in Florida is not an impossibiliity for me. My limitation on that is that I'm retired, on a small pension, but some places are relatively cheap for me to fly to.

Valete
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:10 pm

Salve
I believe that Hellenion has such a program for children as for parents. And if i'm not mistaken they have a support group for parents.
vale
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 pm

Salvete Omnes!
This was a very good discussion,what has come of it?
I live in southern Alabama,any others live in my area?
Some one mentioned an American hearth,wouldnt that be somewhere in DC?

OFF TOPIC:
I found it interesting that in Birmingham,Alabama there is a statue of Vulcan..because its a metal working city and they refer to the city as the Pittsburgh of the south.
Anonymous

Previous

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum