Election of new officers

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 am

Salvete omnes,

As announced, elections for a concilium to lead SVR may begin today. Lacking a good voting system, I suggest we take a poll again, one for each candidate.

As our concilium will need at least 3 members, the disapproval of one or more would mean that a new call for officers, and new elections, would be needed.

Valete,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Nomina

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 am

[Is in response to Tibi Draco's offer about the new members]

...And as former nomenclator Novae Romae and sometime consultant to the SVR, I'm always available to help out with the names.

(My OP tenure was after "Dea Pulchra" and "Dredd and Jasar"!!!) >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:49 pm

Attice,

Please set up a poll for Cleopatra as well, with her assent. We could use another officer since we three men (Marius, Piscinus, egoque) are all relatively advanced in years and could fall ill or suffer some other distraction (throwing salt over the shoulder).

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:35 am

Primus Aurelius Tergestus wrote:Attice,

Please set up a poll for Cleopatra as well, with her assent. We could use another officer since we three men (Marius, Piscinus, egoque) are all relatively advanced in years and could fall ill or suffer some other distraction (throwing salt over the shoulder).

Tergestus

Salve,

Not being a moderator of this forum, I cannot set up a poll myself. But I asked aedilis Ti. Dionysius if he could do so.

Vale,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:22 pm

After the announced week of voting, I hereby declare that all candidates to serve in SVR's board of officers are elected.

I would like to call upon them to discuss their respective roles in the new board, and to announce their 'division of labour' and their program (i.e., what they wish to realise) in the Comitia soon after.

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:30 pm

In keeping with the Cromwellian spirit of the new Regulae, maybe we could call the new board simply "Officers' Board", although I like "Officers' Tent" better.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Ventage

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:06 pm

Salvete omnes...

As advertised, I'd envisioned doing a lot of basic Webwork; I can also help (maybe a lot) with the non-interactive side of the Censorial function.

I suppose we could call it the "Officers' Tent"; then I'd have an excuse to write everything ex papilionem! (Unless Pisci doesn't want me to, in which case I nominate "Officers' Open Mess".)

But seriously...I do miss the Consul-Censor-Aedile titles, simply because they had more color and they already indicated a division of labor; and whatever our confusions on the Rectorial side of the house, everybody knew what these three officers were supposed to do. Why reinvent the wheel...?

And I have to question the mandate any of us newly-electeds can claim when only nine people voted.

I said this in Concilium; it's a matter of public record: I did not and do not see the point in giving all the real decisions to the Comitia if said body is going to remain as passive as it has been to date. That's like boarding your pet with someone who knows nothing about animals and doesn't like them much. Even when the Societas was first formed, I (in my only stint as a Senator) questioned hard the need for a Senate and a legislative body in what I saw as essentially an educational institution. I later saw how such bodies might actually fit in that framework; I wrote on the Concilium about it.

But that's not the direction we went; someone(s) got breathless about "openness and democracy" at the expense of real-world functionality, and here we are. At the mercy of people who see this as merely a Web site with attached chatroom and bulletin-board, and probably wonder (like I did at first) why we even need a government, or any form of administration that involves anybody besides the administrators. These unwilling participants are to decide everything from who occupies what positions to (even) what those positions are to be called. We're going to ask them to elect Rectors, ratify or reject the current Collegia setup, vote on appointments and resignations and appeals, second-guess everything any one of us does...

And we couldn't get them into the sheep-pens twice a year before. I'd lay bets that everyone who did vote this time was a member of the Concilium! (And we didn't get all of them...)

Yes, this is why I voted Abstineo on the new Regula in Concilium, and Antiquo (Nego) in Comitia. Sodales at large, I don't trust you people. It would absolutely make my year if you were to prove me wrong.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Mari,

Davy Crockett was rejected by voters before he said, "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas." You've just been elected!

Easy on the sodales. It has been a confusing year, and I imagine many want to hold off becoming active until they see a more solid and positive direction for SVR. Let's make it happen.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Texian to the bone

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 am

Salve, Tergeste amice...

Been to Texas. Ate it up. Rather liked it! >({|8-)

So...no Cromwells over here; but maybe I can at least pull off a Crockett. Thank'ee!

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Job slots

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Salvete Omnes,

I would like to follow Atticus' request and discuss my spot as newly elected officer of the SVR:

Cleopatra Aelia wrote:Should this spot be filled by only one person? If this doesn't require any special technical skill I would do it in form of contacting persons from whom we haven't heard for a while, but wouldn't like to decide solely on questions such as admitting new members and approving Roman names.

Like I have already said, my computer programming skills are very limited, so I would like to have an officer spot which I could handle easily with these skills.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

From the Webmeister

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:16 am

Salvete omnes,

New policy on Spam accounts:

Just deleting them every day is boring. From now on, the ones with nasty-sounding logins get booted (and banned, if they're repeat offenders); the rest I'm adopting: I will correct any misspelling of their handles, possibly change their passwords, and link them to the Roman Outpost.

<VBFEG!!!>

In fide (and a bit o' fun),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Comitia