Implementing the Collegium Reform (or, Marius Splits!)

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 pm

Salvete Mari et omnes,

Let's make it official, proposal II wins the poll and will be incorporated as the new collegial structure.

Proposal II consisted of: Collegia Historicum; Artium; Religionem et Philosophicum; Linguarum Antiquarum; and Vita Quotidiana.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Poll result

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Salvete omnes...

Gratias ago, mi Tergeste. I may want to back up the Board first (quid censes, Tiberi Draco?). but as soon as I am sure of the procedure, I'll get right on it.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 am

"Collegia Historicum; Artium; Religionem et Philosophicum; Linguarum Antiquarum; and Vita Quotidiana"

How are you coming up with these names? They're not consistant.

How about Collegia + adjective or Collegia + GenitiveNoun.

Collegium Historicum; Collegium Artium; Collegium Religionum Philosophiarumque (or ...et Philosophiarum); Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum; and the last one, is that an actual Collegium, or is it our "general chat" forum? If the latter, then Vita Quotidiana (or Hodierna) works just fine.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Collegia

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:02 am

Salve, mi Scerio...

Someone's bound to quibble with my Latin, but that's the easy part. Per Piscinus' suggestions, here are the names I intend to apply to the various Collegia:

Collegium Historicum et Militarum (Militarium?)

Collegium Artium et Literarum (should this be "Litterae"? Is "Literarum" misspelled?)

Collegium Religionem et...ok, Philosophiarum

Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum

Collegium Vitae Quotidianae

Yes, VQ will be an actual Collegium again. It covers aspects of Roman daily life such as petkeeping, recipes, coinage, town-planning, agriculture, trades, travel, and/or just about anything else for which the Jeopardy answer might start out with "How did the Romans...?" A full description is available in the thread about Collegium reform.

I do appreciate any help with the Latin. However, I am more concerned at the moment with the splitting and merging of topics, and in particular how to liberate the VQ material from where it lies buried in all the other Collegia! >({|:-/

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Collegia

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Salve Mari,

Can I assume you intend it as "The College of Such and Such? If so, all of the nouns need to be in genitive, yet adjectives need to be in nominative. (Yet, oddly enough, they'll both look remarkably similar.)

Collegium Historicum et Militarum (Militarium?)

Why is there a need to separate normal history from military history? I'd make it simply Collegium Historicum. If you absolutely had to make distinct the military in the title, then Collegium Historicum et Militarium "Historical and Military College" is correct.

Collegium Artium et Literarum (should this be "Litterae"? Is "Literarum" misspelled?)

Litera is a variant of littera, but the latter is preferred. And you would keep it in the plural, so Collegium Artium et Litterarum "The College of Arts and Letters".

Collegium Religionem et...ok, Philosophiarum

Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum "The College of Religions and Philosophies"

I do appreciate any help with the Latin. However, I am more concerned at the moment with the splitting and merging of topics, and in particular how to liberate the VQ material from where it lies buried in all the other Collegia! >({|:-/

I suppose you'll need a hand then, Mari. Quem mavis?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

So Far...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:15 am

Salve, mi Scerio, et Salvete omnes...

> I suppose you'll need a hand then, Mari. Quem mavis?

Did you have something in mind? >({|:-)

So far I've reestablished the Collegium VitaQuot; renamed the rest, per the referendum and your recommendations; written new (I hope clear) descriptions for a few of them and for the Board itself; and begun returning Philosophy and Daily Life topics to their natural habitats. As CollArt had the most...umm...eclectic mix, I've been shipping appropriate threads out of there and into CollRelPhil and ColVitaQuot instead.

I've just finished the Artium. More tomorrow! (eep...but it's not as hard as I thought!)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Well, if you're getting it done without help, who am I to disrupt you. Besides, too many cooks may spoil the stew. Multas gratias ob laborem tuum, mi amice.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

You're Welcome!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:29 am

Salve iterum, mi Scerio, et Salvete omnes!

I'm almost done...or maybe I am done...with the topic reorganization demanded by the Collegia reform. Once I'd done CollArt, most of the rest has consisted of finding stray topics in other fora that really belonged in CollHist, CollArt, or any other specific place.

I've only got the most recent two pages of the General forum to go. And I actually might not mess with it, since most of those threads are still active and Sodales tend to look for them there.

If anyone notices that I have misclassified something or that a topic has been buried in the shuffle, please post your concerns or suggestions here. Now that I've been doing it for a week, it's no trouble to put things in places that make sense to the people who read them. >({|:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia