Orphic Hymns

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Orphic Hymns

Postby Titus Iulius Nero on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:08 am

Yes i have yet another question...you all must be hating me, lol. But i thank you for all your knowledge and wisdom. You all are very much blessed by the Gods.

But to the point...I am searching for a site or any place that offers the Orphic Hymns in latin. Or if anyone has translated the hymns themselves, would be awesome. I would imagine that somewhere they still exist in latin form, or so i do hope.

Many thanks and blessings unto you all.
Titus Iulius Nero
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 am

Salve

I don't know any site that offers a Latin translation of the Orphic hymns, but I do know one in particular that offers Latinized version of the Orphic hymns translated by Thomas Taylor which can be found at sacred-texts.com.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Iulius Nero on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:55 am

Well, those are not in latin, as i have requested. I specifically am looking for those prayers in the Latin language, not in the english language.
Titus Iulius Nero
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:15 am

Salve Aeneas

Well they are Greek so I doubt that you will find them in Latin today. However, Marsilio Ficino translated them into Latin, back in the 15th century. So maybe if you looked for works by him you could find what you're looking for.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Salve Piscine

Do you use the Orphic or the Homeric hymns in your devotions or not? Or do you use something else?
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:34 pm

Salve Quinte Orce

Quintus Aurelius Orcus wrote:Do you use the Orphic or the Homeric hymns in your devotions or not?

Those are Greek. I've read them but I don't do anything Greek in my devotions. I think that there is a noticeable difference in how the Greeks addressed their Gods and the Romans do ours. I don't like the fawning manner of the Greeks and prefer instead to speak directly and openly to the Gods.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum